Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a post earlier about power steering issues, binding while turning. Inspected the car myself, (technician) checked out steering components, tire rods straight, ball joints snug, no rock damage to control arms, not even rock chips on the rims. I have a arb winch bumper/ winch and EMO heavies up front.

Dealership calls me, says it wont be covered by warrenty, says there is visable damage to the steering linkage. I cal BS, and ask to come down and inspect the vehicle. I see no signs. Technician explains what he thinks it is, a binding u-join socket where the steering rack input meets the column input, wich is why i feel the binding every 180 degrees or so. He claims that a joist from the suspension pushed the tie rod into the rack causing the shaft to be damaged. I explained how unlikely that was, and he sidetracked and claimed that maybe it was water contaminating the needle roller bearings in the joint. So I ask, "then why would warrenty not cover a failed seal?" He goes back to the suspension setup, showing me the increased angle the tie rods are at, (car is jacked up from the frame and wheel is hanging freely, of course its going to be at an extreme angle.)

He claims this has never been seen before as an issue. Anyone lese here hear of such an issue? I completely understand not wanting to warrenty something they are not framiliar with... Anyone suggest a customer friendly dealership in Southern Orange County????

-Joey

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Made a post earlier about power steering issues, binding while turning. Inspected the car myself, (technician) checked out steering components, tire rods straight, ball joints snug, no rock damage to control arms, not even rock chips on the rims. I have a arb winch bumper/ winch and EMO heavies up front.

Dealership calls me, says it wont be covered by warrenty, says there is visable damage to the steering linkage. I cal BS, and ask to come down and inspect the vehicle. I see no signs. Technician explains what he thinks it is, a binding u-join socket where the steering rack input meets the column input, wich is why i feel the binding every 180 degrees or so. He claims that a joist from the suspension pushed the tie rod into the rack causing the shaft to be damaged. I explained how unlikely that was, and he sidetracked and claimed that maybe it was water contaminating the needle roller bearings in the joint. So I ask, "then why would warrenty not cover a failed seal?" He goes back to the suspension setup, showing me the increased angle the tie rods are at, (car is jacked up from the frame and wheel is hanging freely, of course its going to be at an extreme angle.)

He claims this has never been seen before as an issue. Anyone lese here hear of such an issue? I completely understand not wanting to warrenty something they are not framiliar with... Anyone suggest a customer friendly dealership in Southern Orange County????

-Joey
Seems like the technician might be an idiot. If you look at the rack assembly, it is mounted to the frame of the vehicle. No matter how much you cycle the tie rods up and down, it won't push the rack upward to jamb the steering shaft u-joint (you might hyper-extend a tie rod, damaging it, but not the steering shaft). His theory of contaminated needle bearings is more likely, and would be unrelated to tie rod cycling, too. Definitely seek out another dealer, or contact the Toyota Corporate offices for a field rep to inspect the problem...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like the technician might be an idiot. If you look at the rack assembly, it is mounted to the frame of the vehicle. No matter how much you cycle the tie rods up and down, it won't push the rack upward to jamb the steering shaft u-joint (you might hyper-extend a tie rod, damaging it, but not the steering shaft). His theory of contaminated needle bearings is more likely, and would be unrelated to tie rod cycling, too. Definitely seek out another dealer, or contact the Toyota Corporate offices for a field rep to inspect the problem...
Very true side note. Unfortunatly hiding my anger and trying to be friendly hinders my ability to think; I was unable to point this out at the time. I will be sure to remember this valid point when speaking with their warranty administrator tomorrow. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.