Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I took my FJ to the dealer last Monday as I wanted to get the recall done on the seat belt anchoring system. Since I was going to be there I decided to get a tranny flush and fill. I have a broken foot with a cast, so I drove over there to drop it off and picked it up after the service and drove straight home where I haven't touched it since. I really didn't pay attention to the service invoice until today when I looked and discovered that the Toyota dealer put in 8.7 quarts of Dextron Max Life ATF.

From what I read on this and several others forums is that there is NO substitute for the Toyota WS trans fluid and the only other compatible fluid is made by Amsoil.

Does anyone know if there a current substitution for WS trans fluid?

My knowledge on transmissions is limited but what, if any, damage can or would occur if I hadn't caught this?

What would be a reasonable fix for this screw up, if in fact, it was a screw up?

Much mahalo's,
Jamey

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Cool, thanks, I called their parts department prior to this post and asked if there was anything else they list as compatible and the parts guy said this is all that it shows. Kind of freaked me out.
I guess even the toyota dealers go with the cheaper stuff! Hmmm? Interesting!

Thanks again, now I'm only going to gripe about the 8.7 quarts they filled when it should be 12 quarts for a complete flush.

Aloha, J.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
As incredibly stupid and incompetent many dealers are/maybe I highly doubt they would use, let a lone have a product in house that would be non compatible with their own product line. The info provided shows full compatibility .... Drive it like you stole it. They probably looked at yor old oil and if looked good only did a dump and fill ...Drive it like you stole it. It will be perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
This is good fluid and you should have no worries using it. I am surprised a Toyota dealer is using it however. I was always under the impression Toyota required their dealers to use their WS fluid. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Stored for future reference- my AT fluid will need to be purged :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
According this this page the Maxlife Dextron ATF is compatible with Toyota WS, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
792 Posts
As incredibly stupid and incompetent many dealers are/maybe I highly doubt they would use, let a lone have a product in house that would be non compatible with their own product line. The info provided shows full compatibility .... Drive it like you stole it. They probably looked at yor old oil and if looked good only did a dump and fill ...Drive it like you stole it. It will be perfect.
Dealers were mandated by Toyota NOT to do a full flush about 2 years ago. Pan dump and re-fill is all any dealer will do anymore (unless they're renegades)!

It's absurd--My guess is some incompetent techs screwed it up w/ a flush machine and Toyota had to eat a few AT new warranty installs....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dealers were mandated by Toyota NOT to do a full flush about 2 years ago. Pan dump and re-fill is all any dealer will do anymore (unless they're renegades)!

It's absurd--My guess is some incompetent techs screwed it up w/ a flush machine and Toyota had to eat a few AT new warranty installs....
Just called the local dealer and they say they do a flush for $129.00. I have 73K miles and they claim it is too early to perform this service? I'm changing the fluids to Amsoil. Anyone use Amsoil transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Just called the local dealer and they say they do a flush for $129.00. I have 73K miles and they claim it is too early to perform this service? I'm changing the fluids to Amsoil. Anyone use Amsoil transmission fluid?
That price sounds pretty low to me. It's going to take at least 12 quarts of oil. I pay $138.88 + tax for 12 quarts of Redline oil. I'll bet Amsoil is about the same price.

60K is about average for a full flush but I have seen WS oil turn Jet Black at 22K. Just goes to show you how ignorant some dealers can be.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
damn 129 is CHEAP, do it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
damn 129 is CHEAP, do it!
That's what I thought. I called back to verify and ask if they would fill with Amsoil. He said if I bring my own fluid the $129 would be reduced since that price included fluid. Sounds like too good a deal to me but I made an appointment for next week.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Valvoline is not bad oil. BMW uses them too.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hello all,Just my opinion.How could one transmission fluid be compatible with Honda,Mervin,and others,and still be ok for Transmission that uses WS???Toyota doesn't even recommend there older type IV fluid in an FJ,So Valvoline is just a money maker fluid,as they say it covers all,it is not licensed for all compatible fluids,do some research...Weber State John Kelly

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hello again,I misspoke on Trans Fluid,not Merin...Mercon...Just look at all the Vehicles that Valvoline Maxlife ATF claims to be ok for..FORD,GM,TOYOTA,HONDA,AS WELL AS DEX/MERC,MERCON LV...How in the world can one fluid be ok for all these manufacturers...My daughter has a 2002 Honda CR-V ,Auto trans..It says to use Honda Tranny fluid ONLY.Valvoline is not licensed,with a Toyota License # ,they only say it MAY work.Toyota does not recommend using Toyota type iv,or type dexron ii or iii in an FJ.So how is Valvoline getting away with saying it covers ALL these companies..

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
the base ATF is the same oil that all manufacturers use. What makes it proprietary are several factors. One is the viscosity. Newer transmissions need a lighter weight oil as they use many solenoids and the oil needs to flow quickly especially in cold temperatures before the oil warms up. Many manufacturers now use a fluid warmer to get the oil warmed up fast. A good example of a lighter weight oil is Dexron 6. Another factor is the coefficient of friction. Some oils are more aggressive than others and can cause harsh shifts. One the other hand some oils are not aggressive enough and can cause torque converter chatter. GM ran into this problem in their 6L80 transmissions and changed the composition of the oil to correct a lockup problem just recently. So as you can see a generic oil may be a problem on some transmissions while it will work fine in other transmissions. WS Transmission Fluid is pretty forgiving compared to some oils like Honda Fluid for example . Using a generic oil in a Honda can cause harsh shifts and customer complaints. I have used Redline, Valvoline, Amsoil in place of Toyota WS without any problems whatsoever. The reason I dislike WS oil is it can turn a dark color, almost black over time. Other WS compatible oils do not turn black. Finally, I have seen generic bulk ATF cause problems in some European Transmissions. Always use the manufacturer recommended oils in Euros like Mercedes and BMWs. Warranty problems can arise if you use a red-colored oil in a Euro which uses a clear or non-red colored oil. I have seen Nissan deny warranty because the owner used the wrong oil in their CVT transmission.

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I used Valvoline in my daughter's 2000 4 Runner temporarily,as she had the "STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE ".I will be flushing that out and putting Toyota or Amsoil back in.I know everyone wants to save a buck,but i run my Toyota's to 300-400 k,i just sold a 2001 Sienna to a friend that shipped it to Africa for a Taxi cab company,it had 300k on it,I always used Toyota Tranny fluid,never flushed,i dropped whatever was in the pan at every other oil change,which would be 10k as i changed my oil,full synthetic at 5k.So measure the cost of some tranny fluid compared to a rebuid or new tranny.You will not see a difference at lower miles,but if you keep your vehicles as long as i do with 5 cars in the family ,wife ,kids ,etc you will understand why i do it.My wife moved from the Sienna to a 2012 camry which i bought from a dealer with 11k on it,i still have a certified warranty on it (currently 77k,).at 60k,i brought it to my dealer for it's 10k free oil change ,which i do not believe in either,,as in between 10k,i change it at 5k,at 60k i askes to flush tranny,they told me it wasn't recommended,that the trans fluid is lifetime"WHAT",i crawled under at home ,drained a qt went back to dealer.and showed them how dirty it was,so they did it,for$275.00 for 10 qts i guess.I was not going to wait until my extended warranty was over @ 125k and find out that i should have changed fluid earlier....Back in the day,as i am 67 years old,we used to change at 30-60-90-,etc..You men to tell me that "WS" is that much of a better fluid because maybe it is synthetic,i say maybe ,because toyota does not have that on the bottle,even though it is probably made by Mobil 1. So i say to eah his own,do what you feel is necessary,THIS IS MY OPINION,so don't beat me up too bad on the forum....JUST SAYING!!!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hey Jimmiiee,i just ordered 2 gallons of Amsoil from a friend i know in Indiana..I am going to use it on my 2007 FJ & 2004 GX 470,as they both have the A750E/F Trans

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
the base ATF is the same oil that all manufacturers use. What makes it proprietary are several factors. One is the viscosity. Newer transmissions need a lighter weight oil as they use many solenoids and the oil needs to flow quickly especially in cold temperatures before the oil warms up. Many manufacturers now use a fluid warmer to get the oil warmed up fast. A good example of a lighter weight oil is Dexron 6. Another factor is the coefficient of friction. Some oils are more aggressive than others and can cause harsh shifts. One the other hand some oils are not aggressive enough and can cause torque converter chatter. GM ran into this problem in their 6L80 transmissions and changed the composition of the oil to correct a lockup problem just recently. So as you can see a generic oil may be a problem on some transmissions while it will work fine in other transmissions. WS Transmission Fluid is pretty forgiving compared to some oils like Honda Fluid for example . Using a generic oil in a Honda can cause harsh shifts and customer complaints. I have used Redline, Valvoline, Amsoil in place of Toyota WS without any problems whatsoever. The reason I dislike WS oil is it can turn a dark color, almost black over time. Other WS compatible oils do not turn black. Finally, I have seen generic bulk ATF cause problems in some European Transmissions. Always use the manufacturer recommended oils in Euros like Mercedes and BMWs. Warranty problems can arise if you use a red-colored oil in a Euro which uses a clear or non-red colored oil. I have seen Nissan deny warranty because the owner used the wrong oil in their CVT transmission.
Thanks for your indepth input...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts