Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer says that they cant get the sensor mechanism on the lip of my wheel because my tires stick out more than the wheel. Thats exactly what I wanted but didnt think I couldnt get it aligned. They told me to check around but are not sure if anyone can do it.

So I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or something similar. I have 18 inch kmc rockstar wheels and nitto 33" mud grapplers.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Don't all tires stick out more than the wheels?

Sounds like they just don't want to do it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They took me in the back and showed me, Im not sure if its the wheel or the way the tire is but Im stumped. Im pretty sure its not cause they just didnt want to.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It appears as though your tires have a 'rim protector'. It's that lip that covers the very edge of the rim. That would make it hard/impossible to get the alignment sensors on there as they sort of attach right to the very edge of the rim. Maybe there is another type of alignment machine style available elsewhere? I can't imagine that you are the only person in history with this issue. Or, try to get someone on the forum to loan you there stockers for the alignment...wheels and tires have nothing to do with suspension geometry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I like them greasy wet during the week and ass dirty on the weekends!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears as though your tires have a 'rim protector'. It's that lip that covers the very edge of the rim. That would make it hard/impossible to get the alignment sensors on there as they sort of attach right to the very edge of the rim. Maybe there is another type of alignment machine style available elsewhere? I can't imagine that you are the only person in history with this issue. Or, try to get someone on the forum to loan you there stockers for the alignment...wheels and tires have nothing to do with suspension geometry.
I wouldnt be worried but I have not aligned it since the lift as well so.... I have no wobbles but sometimes I think it pulls on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Thats total B.S.

They can do the sensors don't go by the tire but clamp on to the rim and go outward and to the center of the wheel.

All the newer kinds work and look like this to some degree

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats total B.S.

They can do the sensors don't go by the tire but clamp on to the rim and go outward and to the center of the wheel.

All the newer kinds work and look like this to some degree
So my dealership probably doesnt have this type of alignment machine? Im still confused but this is helping alot.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
So my dealership probably doesnt have this type of alignment machine? Im still confused but this is helping alot.
I would be very surprised if they didn't have something like this.

This is how it works. At the end of each of those arms there is a little spade / hook that goes between the lip of the wheel and the tire. After you hammer all of these in to place the computer tells you to spin the devise (not the tire) clock wise a 1/2 turn if I remember correctly (its been 8 years since I have done this) then another 1/2 turn, then the comp. tells you to do the same to the other side (driver to passenger in the front then same in the rear). after you do that the computer will displace were the alignment is at and what needs to be done to get it into spec. The mech. makes the changes then repeats the process till its right. The tires is never touched other then by the little hooks that clamp the equipment on to the wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do I tell him short and sweet and without sounding like I know it all? Show him the pic of that alingnment machine or what? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Hunter machine that we use in our shop has a box off special attatchments to accomidate different tire and rim combinations. Any dealership servicing a variety of cars should have something similar. It is more than likely it is the dealership not wanting to do the alignment. And not becuase of the tires, but becuase of the lift I am sure that you have. No dealership wants to be responsable for equiptment that is not make by their manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
So what do I tell him short and sweet and without sounding like I know it all? Show him the pic of that alingnment machine or what? Thanks for the help.
The Hunter machine that we use in our shop has a box off special attatchments to accomidate different tire and rim combinations. Any dealership servicing a variety of cars should have something similar. It is more than likely it is the dealership not wanting to do the alignment. And not becuase of the tires, but becuase of the lift I am sure that you have. No dealership wants to be responsable for equiptment that is not make by their manufacturer.
What jrock said.
I would just go to a diffrent shop and get it done by someone that wants your business and that will be honest with you.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
working for a company that two strictly suspension shops, i can tell you that it is very doable. shoot, we get way worse setups and they align just fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah Im going to find another shop that can do it. Toyota does kind of advertise my lift in a sense, I saw it in the accessories/information in an fj brochure at the dealership. I dont think it has to do with the lift as to why they cant align it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
do you still have the stock wheels? put those on and then get it done. then you will know if they dont want to do it becuase of the lift. just a thought.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
it does still apply, this is where i have mine done they are on the ball

1 - 20 of 20 Posts