Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally brought home the TT FJ and the dealership they put alarms on all the cars on the lot and I could keep "their" alarm for $$. Since I did not want their alarm I said no thinking that it could easily be "activated" for alot cheaper.

Anyone have any ideas/experiences with the so call dealership alarm activation/deactivation scheme?

I have the general fob that I guess comes with all FJ's (it has the panic setting)

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Go to a Stereo Installation store and talk with them -or- have them install a better one.

I bet that it is no more than a fuse.

·
Registered
365 Posts
just go with Viper... it's cheaper, has the same "deal" as the toyota one, and has a lot of expandable features...

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
It's hard to tell which alarm the stealership installed in the FJ. Some use OEM Toyota alarms, some use aftermarket alarms, and yet others use ignition disabling devices (that require a chip to be inserted before it will start with a key).

Some will simply unplug the alarm, others will remove the whole thing. Without knowing any of this, as stated above, your best bet is to get an aftermarket alarm with remote start capability.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
just go with Viper... it's cheaper, has the same "deal" as the toyota one, and has a lot of expandable features...
viper sucks. i have a 5900 on my FJ that will eventually be replaced with a compustar.

as far as most of the dealership installed alarms. they simply have a chip in them. they are all pre-wired in the cars. when the customer comes in to buy the car they try to sell you on the alarm. if you want it, they get the company who they contract out with to install the alarms, and they will install the chip and program it.

this company out of phoenix was trying to hire me to do it. hmm, installing alarms outside in phoenix on car lots, 18 bucks per car, hmmm, let me think......NO!!!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
viper sucks. i have a 5900 on my FJ that will eventually be replaced with a compustar.
You really ought to tell us why you think your alarm "sucks" instead of just badmouthing it. I've had different alarms on different cars over the years and I have learned one thing: It doesn't matter the brand of the alarm if your installer is incompetent. I have a Viper (the bigger brand is Directed Electronics, Clifford/Python/Viper are all the same) on my FJ and it's been awesome because my installer knew, without a doubt, what he was doing. I'm sure compustars are great alarms as well. It is, though, hugely a part of the installer.

To really answer the question at hand, though, it depends on what you want the alarm for. Go the cheapest route for a reputable brand and a solid installation. I personally recommend going with an alarm with remote start! (keep it warm when it's cold, and keep it cool when it's hot out!)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
hmm, you dont know me that well do you? the install is fine, but the product sucks.

i agree, install is everything. i am an installer. but even the best install wont make a sony amp perform like a zapco with a good install. corvettes are built well, but do they keep up with a ferrari? both well built cars, but the ferrari is just a better product.

the viper remotes are terrible on the two ways. for any sequence of buttons, you have to hit them multiple times. like to unlock the passenger door or to get it to start. the remotes durability is lacking as well. i have been through two in the first 6 months and they havent been abused. and the antenna is ugly as can be.

this compustar smokes my 5900 and its only a one way.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I just wanted to know why you didn't like your Viper. I haven't had a problem with either of the Viper's I've had. I'm sure as an installer you have a higher standard for alarms, but I really don't have a problem with it. It also just so happens that the installer I trust doesn't sell compustar. No hard feelings at all, just wanted some perspective to the "suck" lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts