Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my wife take my FJ in for an oil change. It has 5,000 miles and I didn't want to wait until 10K.

Well I see the receipt and they put in 7 quarts (maybe 6.4 qt like the manual) but who knows. All I know after parked in my garage for 2 days there is a huge 3' diameter oil puddle from the FJ. WTF?

I had the oil change at All Start Toyota in Alexandria, LA.

Will there be damage?

I plan on calling the manager tomorrow and have them fix it. But now I'll have to drive the 50 miles each way. I'm pissed off!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have them tow it, on their dime. Instruct the service manager that your loaner should be on the back of the ramp truck when it comes to pick up the FJ. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I would just look for the source of the leak first. It is either drain plug or filter or did they spill some.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up underneath pretty good and found the oil pan was leaking. Also just forward of the oil pan is the lower part of the engine and looks like a seal is leaking. Maybe too much oil created extra pressures and forced a leak.

I hate going to the dealership but when offered the free service and convenience it's hard to pass up. I guess I will have to change oil myself or supervise the idiots.

I took alot of pictures and will be having my wife goto the dealership (50 miles each way). I can't goto the dealership, have to work all week but you can count on me having a heated discussion with the manager as well as Toyota headquarters.

I just can't believe that the service techs are stupid!

I'm ready to take them out back for a firing squad.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Agreed but some dealerships do go that extra mile to please.

Dick Dyer Toyota, Columbia Sc is my guy. I have an assigned tech that is there when I arrive and is the only person other than the valet that gets the FJ. He has 32 years in as a Certified Toyota Tech and has been with Dick Dyer for those 32 years. He gets paged to come up to the arrival area when I or his other clients show up. (I know that could get old when your elbow deep into your work and hear you name several times a day) At the end of service he comes to the waiting room (if I'm there and not steaming up windows in the Tundra lot) , gives me a face to face with what went down and if anything is found. Then a handshake and then off to the cashier and on my way.

Only thing I would change about my experiences with this dealership is that they open the service dept on Sundays. Seems not to be a big thing here in the great south. Even a 6 hour window for oil changes, tire rotations and minor things that people don't make time for during their busy weeks. Back home in Massachusetts I'd go to Boch Toyota in Norwood Ma on Sundays. Nice large waiting area. Big screen tv(s) with comfy snoozable seating. On Sundays spouses would call the service dept. to get the manager to send the spouses home. It would be easy to hit their deli, grab a Coke, popcorn and watch the Patriots or Red Sox play for hours and all this is after your vehicle service is complete.

It's all in the footwork you do to make it your dealership and make them work for you.They mess up...give them the chance to correct it to YOUR liking or move along.

·
Registered
368 Posts
^ You gonna eat all that yourself?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They over tightened the drain plug and cracked the gasket so it leaked oil everywhere. They towed my FJ to the dealership and fixed it and another oil change. They gave me a crapolla as a courtesy car, I said hell no and left in the drive way all day and drove the motorcycle (BMW R1150GSA) to work.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Well, I am glad it is all good at the end of the day. Nothing is ruined.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is a torque spec for the oil drain plug (30 ft. lbs.), but I guess nobody at the dealer bothers to look at a factory service manual. :rolleyes:

biceps.jpg I'm thinking that SHE may have not been trained on torky wrenches yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts