Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
You have every right to rant. I would have called a tow truck, had it dropped off, demanded new wheels, new studs, and asked to Speak to the Owner of the dealership, as Per his Service department, just about creating a huge accident in which you and several others could have been Severly injured resulting In HUGE lawsuits and possible wrongful death suits..Then called Toyota and explained the same. Had my wheel actually came off, the police would have been called as it would have been considered a motor vehicle Accident on a public highway.. If a mechanic works on your car and a accident follows and he is the Cause, he is legally liable and so is the Dealership. In that case The tech was accountable!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I then looked at all 4 wheels (all lug nuts were loose). I tightened them up and took it back (I know they should have towed), anyway they apologized and gave a free "Next" service.
Sorry for the rant, but I needed to vent!:mad:
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago... Luckily, I had my tube doors on and got a mile down the road before seeing my driver side front tire wobble. 4 lugs on 4 different tires were not even finger tight, 6 more lugs were on their way to coming off. Basically, Toyota tried to kill us.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I recall an old episode of cops where a guy (who looked like Michael Douglas in the movie Falling Down) gets so pissed at a dealership he threw a broken carburetor through the window. That image flashes through my mind in situations like yours.
Wow - it must have been a really old episode if he was throwing a carburetor!! :D :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I do all my oil services myself;however if I have to do something I cant I stand in front of the car and watch them from beginning to end. Did you leave your car unattended while they worked on it? I don't give a crap about their insurance regulations. I know it pisses them off but I trust know one with my car.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I think most dealerships use "low man on totem pole" for tires changers, and oil guys...
They are Service tech's,Oil changes, tire issues, interior issues, wind noise / water leak issues, ect, and the average pay in FLorida is about 9.50$ and hour. Most are decent mechanics but have no certifacations yet..
You have the occational Idiot, that got the job right out of Highschool and now thinks hes NASCAR qualified Master nut changer and cant remember if its right is tight, and if he put 4 qts or 6 in the engine....:flame:

I make my Living as a Pro-mechanic. No I do not work for dealer ships or jiffy lubes....:flame::flame: But stories like this PISS me off to no end as it gives ALL mechanics a bad rep.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Funny.. had the exact opposite happen the last time my dealer did a rotate and balance on my tires. The lugs were so tight I broke a lug nut key trying to get them loose.
Same thing happened to me re/ broken wheel studs at Atlanta Toyota back at my first service in 2007. My most recent experience with ATL Toyota when my 4WD became inop was much, much better, although expensive. The dealership has been remodeled recently. I went back in the shop with the service writer...OMG! you could eat off of that shop floor...1st class operation.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My FJ has over 80k miles and the last time it was ever in a dealership was when we drove it off the lot. We have a trusted certified mechanic that has his own shop and anyone else that works on a vehicle there is also certified. His rates are reasonable and I know I could maybe change the oil cheaper than him but I know he has to make a living and it's my part of helping the local business person. He also works on my big ol F350 with it's load of problems and he does things like finding used or rebuilt parts when he can because he genuinely cares about giving me the best bang for the buck on servicing my vehicles. Even though it would be easier and quicker for him to just replace it with new parts.

So support folks like Mad Mechanic...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts