Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! Im holding off to hear from them again.. after i met with them last week they said they'd be "in touch". I dont want to screw anyone over, but $1500 is a lot of dough and personally would make me rethink the purchase if I was forced to come up with the extra cash for this vehicle. He asked me to "throw them a bone and give them at least 6 or 7 hundred"...it was all very shady and everything I hate about buying a car wrapped in one conversation. I find it hard to believe that the dealership is unaware of the pitfalls in buying Ford leases...Ford is their next door neighbor on the street after all =). Now im just worried after 007FJ's comments that they'll do something crazy like try to take back the car...good lord...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Tell the dealership you have contacted a lawyer on the matter and see how they react.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
RCL's (Fords red carpet lease) are done at the dealership, and the dealership holds the paper.. If the Dealership (Ford store) wants to charge the dealer more to buy out the vehicle, they can.. It is a way to discourage the customer from going to another manafacture to buy their next vehicle..
No it isn't right, it is not your fault, it is the Ford dealerships, being a CROOK..

You are going to have to talk to the Ford store where they got the payoff from, where you leased the Ford from, and take care of this, they will, with enough pressure, make it right and make the payoff the as it should be..

If you come back to the dealership, and planned by them, you have an incentive and they lower your payoff, if you go somwhere else, the raise it in order not to lose the sale..

Read your RCL contract, it will explaine it all, and they have the legal right to do this, you signed for it when you did the Ford lease..

Hope this helps and you get it taken care of quickly..

:cheers:
007FJ is totally correct. He and I have experienced this many times.

As he said it is a way of insuring you will come back to the Ford dealer again and again and buy your "half a car" :rofl:

They may not take the car back, but you may have to pay your lease payment and your FJ payment too if this doesn't get handled soon, or risk a poor mark on your credit. At this point your lease payment on the previous vehicle is still coming due at it's regular time.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
That sucks that you sign a contract and then they can go back on it. Really makes you wonder who is in the bigger hurry to "make the deal"...You or the dealer. If I sign on the dotted line and take delivery of a vehicle I don't expect a call in a few days saying "oops you owe us MORE money".... I know I would be super pissed off and not in a "deal making" mood.

I don't envy you being in that position...good luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
When you trade in a car that has a payoff. You are signing a contract that you agree with whatever number that is on the contract to be your payoff. That is why it is a contract. It is the customers responsibility to know what the payoff is. The dealership will try to get it for you as a favor. They have all the numbers to the banks and stuff.
I dont think I would call it a tactic from a dealership. If they collect more money from you because there was a difference. That money does not go to the gross profit of the car deal. It goes to Ford so the dealer can get a title to the car they just bought.

Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work. Good luck and ofcourse .. Enjoy the FJ..

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
When I traded in my Ford for my FJ, my dealership was able to get it right. That tells me it that it can be done and that your dealer dropped the ball. Either they don't have a clue and need an education, or they unscrupulously made the deal wrong so they could try to make the sale with a fake lower price. These are the only options.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
quote=johndeeremale;1578268]Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! Im holding off to hear from them again.. They will be in touch, believe me. He asked me to "throw them a bone and give them at least 6 or 7 hundred"...Don't do this, they know what the deal is with the RCL's and their finance manager has come across this before.. He either forgot, and got the payoff from Ford Motor, and then they got it from the dealer... I find it hard to believe that the dealership is unaware of the pitfalls in buying Ford leases...Ford is their next door neighbor on the street after all =). Now im just worried after 007FJ's comments that they'll do something crazy like try to take back the car...good lord...[/quote] Don't worry they won't take the car back.. Just call the Ford dealer who you leased the vehicle from and straighten this out.. They will work with you..

Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work. Good luck and ofcourse .. Enjoy the FJ..
He is right, You don't need a lawyer and don't threaten them at all, this will only piss them off and they are in the drivers seat, you signed a contract which says if your payoff is higher then you will pay it. Keep the Toyota dealership in you hip and keep them as your friend through out this. It will serve you better in the long run..

When I traded in my Ford for my FJ, my dealership was able to get it right. That tells me it that it can be done and that your dealer dropped the ball. Either they don't have a clue and need an education, or they unscrupulously made the deal wrong so they could try to make the sale with a fake lower price. These are the only options.
This only pertains to RCL's not regular leases or purchase's.. RCL's are ment to get anyone into buying a Ford, and I mean any one.. No matter what the deal is.. That is why the Dealer holds the paper. This is the only way they could change the payoff on him after The Toyota dealership called Ford Motor...

Ford motor will give you the Customer's payoff, as if the customer went to the Ford dealer to buy a new vehicle. The dealer can then say it is more to make money on it, and in this enviroment where Ford is losing 3 out 5 vehicle it sells to Toyota or other Japanese brands, they are going to try everything to make more money..

Just talk with the Ford dealership and they will take care of this and make it right. You may have to talk a lot and to the GM of the dealership, but they will do it.. The Toyota dealership can't talk for you in this instance, they are the ememy and Ford hates them..
BTW, I am not saying the Toyota dealership is right, I don't think they did their jobs right at all.. It is a trap which all of us Finance managers have fallen into at least once in our career's and it is a hard lesson learned.. I think they just made a mistake, when they knew they should have called the dealership directly...
:cheers:

·
fka ghoover
90 Posts
Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work.
While all of this seems really crooked, I still have to agree here. I have met some shady dealers in my time. I had one dealer years back who had the car I wanted, and when they found out that I was buying the car from another dealer (the two dealers had worked out some sort of trade for the car) they swapped the wheels on the car to the stock wheels and took the key fobs and would not give them up. Threatening to call a lawyer, or worse yet pretending you already have, will only make the situation worse.

Never threaten legal action. If your going to take legal action, call a lawyer and if they take your case then they will work on your behalf from then on out. You stay out of it. "Anything you say can and will be held against you" isn't just for crimnal matters.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tell them the deal is off and you want your Ford back. Bet they can't provide it.

If they can, pay the Ford off and then go to another dealer and start fresh. There are dealers all over S. Cal.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Rule #1: Don't ever offer to pay more money.
Rule #2: Say "Hmmm....that is not going to work for me."

Keep the cycle going until you get them to back off.

P.S. I would call the Ford dealer directly. Talk to the General Manager or the Dealer Principal (owner). Explain the distaste you have. Tell them you enjoyed your Ford and you will be looking at Ford in the future. This should get them to back off the $1500 extra charge! :cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After a few more conversations about why i wasnt going to give them any more money, I was called an indecent human being and then the calls stopped. I checked today and they have officially paid off my ford and my new account is set up at toyota financial. First payment made today!! Thanks everyone for all the comments...im ready to put the dealership drama behind me and enjoy the car...which KICKS ASS so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer screwed up, not you. Its like an airliner flying you to your destination and later that night, knock on your hotel room to collect the fees they thought was on sale for your destination.

·
Registered
134 Posts
After a few more conversations about why i wasnt going to give them any more money, I was called an indecent human being and then the calls stopped. I checked today and they have officially paid off my ford and my new account is set up at toyota financial. First payment made today!! Thanks everyone for all the comments...im ready to put the dealership drama behind me and enjoy the car...which KICKS ASS so far.
My dealership did the same thing to me, but for about $120. What happened is that they got the correct buyout, but didn't pay my previous lien off right away. The dealership said they sent in the payoff the next day, but the bank said they received it a few weeks later. The $120 was additional interest that accumulated between the buyout quote and the time it was paid off. The dealership would absolutely not lift a finger to resolve this and blamed the bank, saying I had to contact them. I had to pay the extra amount and the dealership never made good on it.

About 5 years ago I had an Acura dealership make a mistake on a trade in, but I caught the mistake. I asked what would have happened if the mistake had not been caught and the business manager said they would have not paid off my trade in and I would have been stuck with 2 cars.

Rob

·
Registered
89 Posts
What dealership was that in OC? I walked out of a Toyota dealership saying no deal and got bad vibes. I went to Garden Grove toyato and got a payoff and better FJ.
Just currious...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts