Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2007 FJ since May of 2010. Two weeks after I bought it a rock hit the top corner of the windshield and BOOM new windshield. Learned my lesson about who I had do the replacement. I worked for a large body shop in the southeast and had them do the first repair. This is a very good shop with few issues apparently just a crappy glass guy. This not only cost me a new windshield (luck me I got it at cost) but it also cost the company an additional 2 trim pieces across the top (bent and dented when removed plus scratched and rusted after wiper started hitting), 3 new wipers and a piece of cowling on the corner under the windshield (which flew off going down I-20 due to 3 broken clips). :flame:

Finally all fixed and forgotten and right after Christmas round 2. The rock hit at the top of the windshield and immediately had a divot the size of a quarter. I attempted to have it sealed but it was too close to the top and eventually spread. There goes # 2. New glass guy and told him about the issues before so had no problems after replacement except for the trim piece again.

Of course recently #3 took out the bottom corner. I have yet to repair it because right now I can deal with it but I know shortly with the heat that one will need to be taken care of.

I have seen a few people with issues but has anyone found a way to curve some of the problems with the windshields? Don't get me wrong I don't mind wasting all my money in the gas tank because I didn't buy it for the fuel mileage. Come on though windshields are going to send me to the poor house this year.

Oh a much nicer note. Since there was a safety recall on the tires and my FJ only had 31,000 miles on it when I bought it, Toyota replaced all 5 tires for free. :clap:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just bought an 2011 and have less than 1000 miles so far. As I see it, maybe I'm wrong, but the issue with windshields is that the glass sets almost straight up and has little chance of deflecting a stone. It isn't really Toyota's fault IMO, we bought the vehicle in part because of the way it looks, windshield included.
I have glass coverage on all my vehicles, it's about $1 per month no deductible. Maybe we all should have this coverage considering the angle of the glass.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Just curious and please don't take this as an attack as its not meant that way but do you drive to close to the vehicle in front of you throwing the rocks? My FJ has 34,000 miles and original windshield with no chips, cracks or anything.

Some custom auto shops offer a Clear UV protector that they put on windshields and fronts of autos paint that are prone to rock damage. It might help you and I wish you better luck.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't take that as an attack at all. I'm female and drive a tonka toy for adults. I wish it were as simple as me trying to eat up the slow person in front of me. Sadly that is not the case. It seems the second windshield held up a little better than the original stock one though. I will have to check into the coating. Anything to help! Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just curious and please don't take this as an attack as its not meant that way but do you drive to close to the vehicle in front of you throwing the rocks? My FJ has 34,000 miles and original windshield with no chips, cracks or anything.

Some custom auto shops offer a Clear UV protector that they put on windshields and fronts of autos paint that are prone to rock damage. It might help you and I wish you better luck.
We put over 50k miles on ours before the 1st chip and then they started multiplying like rabbits. Finally after cracks all over the place we replaced it last week. I think we were just lucky for a long time and then reality set in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I, too, have learned my lesson. Do not buy the cheaper glass, if you are doing so. Buy American made glass, if you can find it. PPG Solex is the way to go. It is a thicker, better made glass and has a heavier laminate. Don't get the Chinese made stuff. My replacement has been much better...just my opinion, but it was explained to me this way buy the glass dealer...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have PPG now and it is better. I figured I will just budget in a new windshield at every other tire rotation. Maybe I can find a bullet proof one next time and that will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
maybe we should all just cover our windows like it all the zombie movies to protect them from rocks :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Wow 3 windshields!
I'm at over 100K had it since April 2006 and have the original.
Guess I'm lucky so far, but will probably get smacked tonight on the way home;)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Not to hijack the point of the thread, but you had a tire recall on your '07?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did have a recall on the tires on my 07. I was in the process of buying new ones and just happend to sign up on toyota.com to see if there were any recalls out there since I have had issues with my emergency brake. The information came up on the tires along with another small recall. Since I still had the original ones @ 31,000 and it was a safety recall they replaced all 5. Even with them almost bald.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I purchased my 2011 Iceberg about 10 days ago. On my 2nd day of ownership I passed by a sweeper on the side of the highway.
Didn't hear any strike but later that day 6 inch crack starting from the 1mm rock strike at the lower edge of the glass.
It was something that I was expecting to happen some day with the near vertical rake of the windshield but not when she was brand new.
Really expensive to replace the glass and the upper trim piece. Thankfully insurance will take car of the majority of it.
Anyways, I still love her and the crack turned down, so its not really a big deal for now. I'll fix it when it gets worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts