Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent $4500 to get my FJ up to 300HP just to find out The company I have been using since 2000 with my first 4runner SC and CAI, my sequoia SC with CAI and now my FJ SC without CAI because K&N is making the TRD CAI: K&N is designing it and China is probably making it?? Please TRD I would rather your design & have made in China with no codes like the K&N's horrible design.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
So you might sell your FJ that you just sunk close to 5K into on a supercharger because you can't get a CAI for it?

Why not buy the older style TRD intake and run that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ummmmm. Not sure what to make of this post.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
TRD CAI is made by TRD... AFe is made my AFe (they look very similar though) AFe for 2010 is not out yet, but TRD CAI for 2010 is out, supposedly, as of last Monday. Finding one is another story lol.

On the side note, as was posted many time... i find it hard to believe that CAI for 2010 will top stock air intake...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
TRD CAI is made by TRD... AFe is made my AFe (they look very similar though) AFe for 2010 is not out yet, but TRD CAI for 2010 is out, supposedly, as of last Monday. Finding one is another story lol.

On the side note, as was posted many time... i find it hard to believe that CAI for 2010 will top stock air intake...
The pre-2010 TRD CAI is not made by TRD, it is outsourced to AFE just like a lot of TRD products are and then badged as TRD.

TRD CAI is made by AFE (pre-2010 model)
TRD catback exhaust is made by Bosal
TRD supercharger is i believe made by Magnusson superchargers?
TRD big brake kit is made by StopTech.

As stated by a few sources, specifically Gadget @ URD, the new 2010+ TRD CAI is made by K&N and then branded as TRD.

The intake tube alone will make the CAI more efficient than stock. The stock intake has two sets of baffles to reduce intake noise. A straight intake tube (a la TRD intake) will be more efficient at air flow.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Does the baffle really hinder airflow that much? If you’re sucking air through a:

diving snorkel
vs
diving snorkel with a hole in the side and a Mtn Dew bottle attached

Would it make it significantly harder for you to breath in?

·
Registered
28 Posts

If you go to: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/112707-2010-trd-cai.html

I outlined the differences I could see in posts #52 & 53

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the baffle really hinder airflow that much? If you’re sucking air through a:

diving snorkel
vs
diving snorkel with a hole in the side and a Mtn Dew bottle attached

Would it make it significantly harder for you to breath in?
It WOULD.......if the Mountain Dew bottle were still full of liquid.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new one is on ebay everywhere but with the SC it gives codes that the old CAI didn't. I read I thought on this forum that the new one was designed/outsourced to K&N. I'll find the post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The new one is on ebay everywhere but with the SC it gives codes that the old CAI didn't. I read I thought on this forum that the new one was designed/outsourced to K&N. I'll find the post.
Please post your ebay info, as all the ones I've seen so far are for the 2009 or earlier.

I put up photos of the 2010 TRD CAI I had the dealer install yesterday at: DSC07300 pictures from dogs photos on webshots and following. You can click on the photos and see them full screen.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That`s interesting Layonnn, i spoke to AFe folks many times, they said that they have nothing to do with TRD intake for FJ Cruiser, one guy even cracked a joke over the phone about TRD stealing their design.. :)
I knew about other components, but didn`t know about k&n making TRD CAI for 2010...

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
This is what I understood:

The 1st Gen TRD CAI is made by aFe. The TRD 1st gen it almost identical to the aFe Stage 2-Si. Neither are CARB legal because they have no carbon filter. The TRD uses a K&N type oiled filter(default), the aFe uses a dry filter(default). These 2 CAIs are not consider "compatible" with the TRD SC because of the CARB requirement. Other than that, they are currently the best choice for SC FJ's. A physical comparison between the two can be found here. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/64823-trd-afe-side-side-comparison-pics.html

The 2nd Gen TRD CAI is made by K&N. This one is CARB legal(has a carbon filter) and uses an oiled K&N filter. Unfortunately, because of improper design, it will cause the engine to run too lean(throw codes) and SC FJ's should avoid using it. See the following post for more info. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/123880-new-trd-cai-supercharger-installs.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why a 2010 CAI? Wouldn't you need a 2009 or earlier CAI (superchargers are only available for 2007-2009 model FJC)? Guess I'm not understanding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts