Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one interested? I'm looking for 1 or 2 adventurous and experienced desert drivers to explore NV Death Valley on August 8, 9 and 10.

I will be starting in Lone Pine and ending in Big Pine. I have several possible routes into Cerro Gordo that I want to explore and then look around at some trails at Cerro Gordo. Then into Saline Valley - north to the hot springs - Steele Pass - Eureka dunes - etc.

I want to look at a number of roads around Cerro Gordo so we will be moving as fast as the roads allow. My rig is stock, just to let you know. In Saline Valley we can do Baja speeds (not quite that fast, but diffently not slow). I am not out there to break my rig.

Don't really know where I (we) will be camping, but I think 2 nights and 3 days will get us through.

I have never been in this part of the Valley yet, that is why I want to go, and as a pre-run for an event this fall/winter when it will be cooler. On that note, I will be keeping track of trail times and mileage.

If interested PM me. I don't want anymore than 2 other rigs. You need to know what to bring to survive out there. Lots of extra water......etc. I do have a SPOT for extreme emergencies. Please carry your own tools. (I say this due to an earlier run this year that I led where I was the only one, out of seven vehicles that had any tools.)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump - into prime time. Hey I'll bring beer.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If I hadn't just blown my entire trip budget going to the Summit I would have joined ya!

Enjoy, I did saline valley once in the summer... never again. There is a cold pool at the lower springs, kinda across from Lee's trailer. You will want to just sit in that all day, or drive around in circles with the A/C on. (we did lots of exploring during the day). The trail down from Gordo into the flats is a bit rough, but doable stock last time I drove it. if you are doing the full trail from Gordo all the way through to the dunes and back I'd bring at least 10 gal of gas extra, exspec. if you are going to be exploring side trails.

Watch out for the fighters, they like to buzz you in Saline Valley and in some of the side canyons coming down from Gordo... Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like good fun. I wish I could go... maybe next time?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sign me up! I've been waiting for one of your Death Valley runs...never been there before .

Plus, this sounds like perfect timing as my family will be out of town that weekend and I'm on my own anyway.

I should have all the gear I'll need for this, but we can double check as we get closer. I've recently put together my new trail teams bag-o-tools as well.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary is this the trip you were telling me about?
If my memory serves me, as it does less and less as time goes by, this trip is a pre-run for a fall run. It's still too early to post that one, but you are on the list.
Hope to see you in a couple of months-or even sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sign me up! I've been waiting for one of your Death Valley runs...never been there before .

Plus, this sounds like perfect timing as my family will be out of town that weekend and I'm on my own anyway.

I should have all the gear I'll need for this, but we can double check as we get closer. I've recently put together my new trail teams bag-o-tools as well.
Kip, glad to have you. Just to let you know that I was planning on actually leaving Thursday night, probably getting to Panamint Springs for the night. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Any one interested? I'm looking for 1 or 2 adventurous and experienced desert drivers to explore NV Death Valley on August 8, 9 and 10.

I will be starting in Lone Pine and ending in Big Pine. I have several possible routes into Cerro Gordo that I want to explore and then look around at some trails at Cerro Gordo. Then into Saline Valley - north to the hot springs - Steele Pass - Eureka dunes - etc.

I want to look at a number of roads around Cerro Gordo so we will be moving as fast as the roads allow. My rig is stock, just to let you know. In Saline Valley we can do Baja speeds (not quite that fast, but diffently not slow). I am not out there to break my rig.

Don't really know where I (we) will be camping, but I think 2 nights and 3 days will get us through.

I have never been in this part of the Valley yet, that is why I want to go, and as a pre-run for an event this fall/winter when it will be cooler. On that note, I will be keeping track of trail times and mileage.

If interested PM me. I don't want anymore than 2 other rigs. You need to know what to bring to survive out there. Lots of extra water......etc. I do have a SPOT for extreme emergencies. Please carry your own tools. (I say this due to an earlier run this year that I led where I was the only one, out of seven vehicles that had any tools.)
I have done those areas in the summer, but would not reccomend it. I can be120 or higher. The hot springs are nice, cause when it is 120 outside, 98 in the tub feels good. Don't plan to camp anywhere in the valley, It's just not possible to sleep when it is 105 at midnight. As for steel pass in the summer, don't do it, no exageration here, but it is suicide. Do Eureka to Uhebebe to the racetrack, and down Lippencott, much safer during this time of the year. Good luck, pm me if you need any more specific info.

·
Registered
520 Posts
PS, Bristcone pine has camping at above 8000ft at the north end, and at the south end, you could camp at the kilns or in Pleasant canyon. You might also contact Teotawaki, he has done Cerro Gordo.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spertierra, I appreciate the good sound advice. But sometimes one has to do what one has to do. I am prefectly aware what I'm going into. I do have the sense to put the FJ in reverse, turning around and getting the hell out of there if need be. I will have a trail mate and we will be watching each others backs.

When I was a young lad, I had this great adventure planned, a 300 mile bike ride, from Portland Or, over the Cascades to Burns Oregon. I had everything planned and literally at the last minute my mom cancelled the trip. Looking back, I know that bike ride would have changed my life.

Not that this trip is going to change my life, but since I've gotten the FJ, live so close, this something I have to experience. I have a chance to do it and am going to do it.

I have done everything else in DV, so this is the last to see there. This is also a pre-run for a fall sorte with a group that has done Parts I and II. I will post my experiences when we get back.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good luck, I would probally do Steel pass in summer, myself if I got a wild hair. But you already know the risk.

I did do a bike ride in 97 from Portland to Yakima and back. You would have hated the gorge, the wind was so strong, if i stopped peddling, I would come to a stop while going down hill. The Yakima part was hot and smelly(sulfur holes), but I did it. I know what it is like to do something like that, scary and fun.

Have fun

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are there sections associated with parts I and II? Looking at a trip next March (would prefer the fall, but seems to be hard to get out then - maybe February?).

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are there sections associated with parts I and II? Looking at a trip next March (would prefer the fall, but seems to be hard to get out then - maybe February?).
There is a small section of Part I that will be covered, but from the opposite direction. Other than that, it's all new territory for me to look at.

Don't know how often you've been here, but feel free to PM me before you come down if you need anything at all. (No I will not buy you your gas :lol: :lol:)

Death Valley is a beautiful place, hope you can make it down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts