Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are trying again for Sat Dec 15 - see this link for more info (please post anything new in the new thread rather than this old dead one.)

This trip has been cancelled due to very likely heavy rain - not a good idea in a slot canyon.

EDIT: I'd like to do this run on Saturday December 8th. Meeting either in Barstow or Calico (we can talk about it when we have a list).

List so far:

For sure going:
jeshua
mir
uphill

Maybe:
(fjamming)?
jt1969

Hi all,

It's been too long since I ran the Doran loop and I want to do it again soon. Anyone want to go? I have a very brief write-up and pictorial on the trail in the trail section. It is my feeling from having run it a few times that it requires skids, rock rails, and preferably a lift. Some trail damage is possible to likely.

I'd like to go next weekend (Dec 1 or 2) or in two weeks (Dec 8 or 9). Hitting the trail just north of Barstow around noon. The trail takes about 3-4 hours to run.

Post up if anyone wants to do it.

Mark

EDIT: The Saturdays are much better for me since I just checked and I have noon-thirty tip-off's for Clippers games on both of the Sundays, should have checked that first :(

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I would love to do it Mark. Let me see if I can work this one out, really need to work on my truck but I might have to ditch that for a weekend. :D I will keep you posted.

Oh 8th and 9th would be better for me. :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Sounds fun. I'll need to check schedule. Got a very full plate in December.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
PM resent-

I suspect December 1 would be the better date for me. The following week will be busier and I can't guarantee that December 8-9 will be free at this point since I'm doing the Copper Creek run with RELIC HUNTER on December 14-16.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to ..... But I am still stock:boohoo:
Skids are probably all you need on that rig (you have the rails and great tires and you probably don't need the lift). I heard that MAF has sets available even though they're listed as out :D

EDIT: Actually, with the offroad package, you probably have the bling plate too, right? If you don't mind bending/dinting it, you'll probably be OK.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Skids are probably all you need on that rig (you have the rails and great tires and you probably don't need the lift). I heard that MAF has sets available even though they're listed as out :D

EDIT: Actually, with the offroad package, you probably have the bling plate too, right? If you don't mind bending/dinting it, you'll probably be OK.
I will give them a call ... thanks for the heads up:)

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I will give them a call ... thanks for the heads up:)
Get Steve on extension 105 and tell him that mir207 said they had them (one of the guys I was talking with on ih8mud picked up a set last Monday :) )

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I edited the original post with this:

I'd like to do this run on Saturday December 8th. Meeting either in Barstow or Calico (we can talk about it when we have a list).

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jt1969 you can do it stock. I ran it with only a 3 inch spacer lift and stock rims and tires in the rain. Here is the link http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/socal-region/25539-calico-killer.html?highlight=calico+is+killer
Dont let these guys fool you JT1969. I went with my stock FJ and three other modified Jeeps. I only made it half way before I had to turn around and take the bypass out. Even the bypass required a spoter and a fun bit of balancing on two wheels while trying not to bash the side of my truck. I now have "trail contored" factory skids, sliders, and tail pipe :) There are lots of other trails in the area but I wont be trying Doran untill after a I get a 3" lift and a set of Bud Builts. It is a great place to wheel and even though I only made it half way it was a great confidence builder. I just got tired of hearing what sounded like the bottom of my rig getting peeled open. :(

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dont let these guys fool you JT1969. I went with my stock FJ and three other modified Jeeps. I only made it half way before I had to turn around and take the bypass out. Even the bypass required a spoter and a fun bit of balancing on two wheels while trying not to bash the side of my truck. I now have "trail contored" factory skids, sliders, and tail pipe :) There are lots of other trails in the area but I wont be trying Doran untill after a I get a 3" lift and a set of Bud Builts. It is a great place to wheel and even though I only made it half way it was a great confidence builder. I just got tired of hearing what sounded like the bottom of my rig getting peeled open. :(
I agree that it's tough. If he ends up getting the MAF underbelly plates on, then he'll be fine (we'll just slide over stuff). We can easily winch over anything any of us would get stuck on. But I wouldn't run it without under armour, either.

·
Registered
590 Posts
H535 dont get me wrong there are areas that are tough but it can be done with a stock FJ. Granted there are times that you will drag the factory skids but nothing that bad. It sounds alot worse than what it is. If you do the loop with people who are very familar with the trail you will be much better off. I dont know if it makes a difference but we run the loop backwards from Doran to Odessa.
JT1969 the trail is tough but fun. I know of many FJs that have been on it stock or close to stock. But you will drag skid plates and the chance of body damage is there as well. Go with someone who knows the trail and take your time. If you dont feel comfortable take the bypass there is nothing wrong with saying "no". This is a 30K$ vehicle not a 5k$ 4runner and there have been times that I have said "no way". There is on the other hand a great feeling climbing rocks that I never would have thought that the FJ could do.
Enjoy your FJ and talk to as many people as possible and then make your decision to take a certain trail or not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We ran it from the Gate keeper up. I got scared when I saw the propane buggies rolling by while I was airing down! These guys I want with had all ran the loop before. Their Jeeps were not their daily drivers. All were lifted, sway bar disconects, winches etc. I probably could have made it but like you said it sounds worse than it is. For sure it has been that most fun I have had on a trail I just think it would be a whole lot more fun with a few more inches of clearence and some under armor.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's such a cool run - give it a try :) I've done it a bunch of times now. If Jeshua comes, he's run it. So we have a good amount of experience. Tony has done stuff tougher than this in the San Bernardinos. And Larry has a tonne of experience. So if that group comes together for this trip, I think we have what it takes to get others through. And we have a tonne of recovery equipment for almost any "stuck" situation. This is a REAL rock run - should be good. I'm getting excited just anticipating doing it again. May even have a 4wdToyotaOwner mag and/or Total Chaos fab photo person(s) out with us.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
It's such a cool run - give it a try :) I've done it a bunch of times now. If Jeshua comes, he's run it. So we have a good amount of experience. Tony has done stuff tougher than this in the San Bernardinos. And Larry has a tonne of experience. So if that group comes together for this trip, I think we have what it takes to get others through. And we have a tonne of recovery equipment for almost any "stuck" situation. This is a REAL rock run - should be good. I'm getting excited just anticipating doing it again. May even have a 4wdToyotaOwner mag and/or Total Chaos fab photo person(s) out with us.
Thats makes this run even more appealing! I am really going to try to make this one work, but I am still tentative for now.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts