Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Decided on RTT, then oh wait what about the RTBoat??

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Antarctican 
#1 ·
Just when I thought I had the RTT situation decided, along comes the consideration I'd totally forgotten about, where to put the jetboat?

I'm not a fan of pulling a trailer, but the more toys I have the more it looks like I might need one. Either an adventure trailer with the boat on the roof or an RTT with a small boat trailer.

Has anyone solved the problem of a no-trailer setup with an RTT + boat of this size?

#4 ·
11'8", 3' wide at widest point, 100 lbs less fuel tank, engine & seats which are stored inside the FJ.

Starting to look at some of the other options for RTT such as the Autohome Overcamp that is off to one side, or else the Maggiolina Grand Tour which has a rack on top of it, although I'll have to check the weight restrictions on it, not to mention the extra height and aerodynamics.

An adventure trailer is starting to look better and better...

#3 ·
That's pretty cool!

#5 ·
I agree. I've never seen one of those before. It looks like a cross between a kayak and a jetski. Very neat. I think at the end of the day, you're going to be towing something, or depending on the size (length) you might be able to get a way with storing your boat on a customized tow hitch basket. You'd have to store it parallel with the rear bumper. Hence the length is a factor.

#6 ·
and you just beat me at posting by a few seconds. yeah that thing is way to big to store on the rear of the FJ. next idea.

#7 ·
FYI the Autohome Grand Tour is about 132lbs, the static weight limit on the FJ is mod 160's so your boat needs to be about 30 pounds for both the tent and the boat...don't forget to add in the weight of the cross bars needed for the RTT and the rack for the boat on the top of the Grand Tour.

Keep in mind you might go for the aftermarket rack option and either save or loose weight as well.

Contact me for any questions on Autohome, I can help you out!

#8 ·
Easiest and most cost-effective way seems to be get a small trailer for the boat and then you're free to get whatever tent you like best for vehicle rooftop mounting.

Conversely having the boat rooftop-mounted and a trailer with the tent on it would mean that you could leave all that other stuff behind if you just wanted to take the boat out for a day.

Seems kind of silly to me, with regards to your vehicle's center-of-gravity and the sheer height of the mounted items, to have both on your roof.

#12 ·
Can you post some more info on the boat? I'm currently looking at fishing kayaks but would be interested to see what other small, portable, crafts are out there. Pics, or a link etc would be great.
Chris, the link is in the original post at the top, click on "jetboat".

#10 ·
I would strongly encourage you to go with a trailer. I use a 14' Wilderness sti on top Kayak for fishing at it weight a little over 68 lbs which makes it a pain to load on the roof at the end of a long day on the water. I also use a wheel system that lets me role it on the roof. I can't imagine lifting that boat even higher than the normal roof rack height. After you get it on top you'd still have to deal with securing it and it would be a hassle at that height. When I buy another kayak I'm looking at getting a trailer for getting them to the coast. The kayak rides great on the roofrack with my Thule easy glide, but the trailer would save my back.

#11 ·
I am amazed that you have been putting a 100# boat on your rack. Even with two people that would be a struggle. Even if you could lift 100# to the top of a Magiolina, about another 8", the rack that is included with the Maggy would be overloaded and probably could not be opened. Of course as others have already pointed out the total weight would be too much on top of an FJC. Trailer is about your only option.

I too would have a RTT but I usually carry a canoe so that is out. The boat only weighs about 35# so it could be done, but as have a few years on me and not the best back, I vetoed. Another option I am considering is carry the boat on top and a ground tent for "home". I presently use a Compact Tent-cot but may add a medium size tent for times when the Tent-cot will not be enough.

Pretty much all of us face the same problem: too many toys and not enough room.

Alan

#13 ·
I haven't bought the RTT yet, still mulling over the Autohome model. I agree it doesn't make sense to pack both RTT & 100# boat up there too. Clearly another solution has to present itself.

My first choice is to just put the Autohome RTT on an aftermarket roof rack, and tow a trailer for the boat. This makes the most sense.

Realistically, I don't have the inclination or time to build an adventure trailer, so I either have to buy new or find a decent used one, then put the boat on the roof. Depending on the cost of a trailer (and the amount of time I'd lose this spring waiting to find something good), this would end up potentially running double the cost of option #1. Not to slog adventure trailers, I think they're pretty cool but I'm kind of sold on the RTT at this time.

BrutusII I am going to make a separate post about Autohome, would appreciate any insight there.

Thanks all, your comments and suggestions are helping me guide the way to the great outdoors... :rocker:

#14 ·
If you get an Autohome tent, get a rack from BajaRack like mine and some others have the same rack after seeing mine.

It was made for the Maggiolina style tents, but it will work with just about any tent out there.
It sits much lower than the factory rack.
I ordered mine through Mike at AutoHome, and BajaRack's shipped it directly to my Toyota dealer for installation.

Lotta pics here too.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ipment/116218-introducing-2-new-racks-fj.html

Basically we asked BajaRack last year or the year before if they could design a rack specifically for the AutoHome fiberglass shelled tents, and they built one hell of a nice rack for them.

#15 ·
That too is on my list, Corey. Thanks for that link, hadn't seen that thread!

#16 ·
Another option I did not see mentioned: Install a quaility awning with an add-a-room. Camping-Lab and others make full enclosures with doors, screens, etc. This allows full use of your rack and no unloading to set up camp.

#18 ·
Thanks for posting Marty, looks like a real nice rig you got there. I decided to stick with the RTT/no trailer this summer and see how that goes. Best of luck on the sale!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.