Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let's see the deer pics.

btw-shackles look cool, but be sure to pack a spare set to actually use when you need them. Carrying shackles like that can hurt your approach angle, oxidize and get stuck on your bumper and/or fall off while driving causing injury or death to other motorists (or cost you $20 for a new shackle).

·
Registered
163 Posts
thanks. the shackles can just fall off? how?
Depends on the shackle. If the bolt is threaded (which it should be) it can vibrate loose and fall off. The threads can also oxidize or get road gunk in them and be VERY difficult to remove.

If it takes a cotter pin to hold the bolt in, it can be dangerous to use in vehicle recovery situations. The threaded bolts keep the "U" part of the shackle from spreading if the rigging gets turned and the force is going horizontally across the "U".

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The new All Pro bumper looks great!!!!:rocker: I like the matching blue shackles.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya it went on suprisingly easy. except for some hiccups. They give you 6 bolts to put on the light bar (3 per side) but there are 4 holes per side. i called allpro and the guy said one of the holes is hard to put on so they dont give you the other bolt. why dont they just fill the other hole or have it in the instructions. The guy told me the wrong hole to leave so i have 1 drilled hole to many. ok im done.......

·
Registered
851 Posts
great looking bumper... :rocker:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Great looking rig. The blacked out bezel, mirrors, and handles really give it "the look."

As far as the shackles go, IMO they should be part of your "recovery kit" and should not be on the vehicle full-time. They look good though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
...Carrying shackles like that can hurt your approach angle, oxidize and get stuck on your bumper and/or fall off while driving...
...If it takes a cotter pin to hold the bolt in, it can be dangerous to use in vehicle recovery situations. The threaded bolts keep the "U" part of the shackle from spreading if the rigging gets turned and the force is going horizontally across the "U".
First...that is one bad lookin' FJ. Very nice.

Second...pardon the digression...but regarding the above quoted comments...need some more info to make sure I'm not being irresponsible.

Don't leave shackles on your bumper - Then where/how should I attach/stow my winch hook?

If it takes a cotter pin to hold the bolt in, it can be dangerous - My WARN winch hook uses the cotter pin method to attach the hook to the winch line loop. Is that bad? If so, how could WARN be selling these set-ups?

Thanks for the insight. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You can attach your winch hook to the welded recovery points on your frame. I don't see anything wrong with leaving them on there if you take care of them. Check frequently... loosen periodically to prevent binding. I also keep several more of various sizes in my recovery bag as well as extra winch hooks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I keep my shackles on the bumper. I used some anti-seize on the threads, and use a screw driver to get them tight. I do check them (remove and put back on) to make sure they don't rust up. We use salt on our roads in winter, the anti-seize protects the threads real good. I also spray lube my winch cable about once a month as well.
I think I have a much better chance of falling off my Harley then my shackles do (falling off my truck), so I feel it is safe, and it saves me space.
I do keep a set of smaller set of cotter pin shackles, for a friend of mine who has a Jeep. When I have to pull him out, I rub it in that he only gets the babby ones! I think I could pull a jeep with a 1000lb. winch! Would not want to use the cotter pin shackles on any real weight though. I think the screw pins are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hutchison, Take a crescent wrench, place it on the bolt of the bow shackle and tighten it up with that.
This will do 2 things: prevent anyone from being able to walk up and remove it without some sort of tool and prevent it from coming loose as easily.

This is what i do to my rear receiver shackle. Just make sure you have a wrench in the FJ incase you need to use it in an emergency. But we all keep tools in our FJ at all times, don't we?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the advice. I will take awrench to it tomorrow and make sure they are tight. I will see if i can fing the lock tight stuff too. I did wrap the AC line in plastic tubing to prevent holes.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I did loose one of my front shackles on the trail once, but it was my fault for not checking them after 4 hours on wasboard roads before I hit the trail.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we lost one of ours as well... it happens

as for the upgrade, looks great..

we had almost the same issue..we had a lady hit us on the front right fender and we took the insurance money and purchased our fabfour bumper...we still have the dent..but it adds character

1 - 20 of 23 Posts