Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Epilogue: There was a problem with the extended warranty. I had to contact the original dealer in Illinoiz and explain the problem to the general manager. He did a little investigating and found out that there was a problem with whoever wrote up the agreement that they checked the wrong boxes. After he contacted the warranty company and sorted things out with them, he ended up getting me a new warranty that honors the dates I originally signed up for. Just today I took the FJ to the dealer—again—to get the fuel sending unit replaced. They finally did the work with the total bill coming to $510. After a couple phone calls back and forth to the general manager in Illinoiz he asked to talk to the cashier and then gave her a credit card number. Bill was paid without any out of pocket costs to me. When I picked up the truck and started it, the gas gauge was at 'E' with the low fuel indicator lit up. I only left about 4.5 gals of gas in it when I checked in. So now it's reading correctly. I then filled it up and the gauge moves all the way up to 'F'. Time will tell when I test it to make sure it's working properly.
Outstanding. I'm living with mine since no extended warranty, but glad to hear you got it taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to add to the thread, My 08 started doing this as well last year after a trail run. Had about 135k miles when it occurred. It is currently showing 1/8-1/4 low, then some days it works fine. It is rather annoying but not enough to get it fixed. Was hoping it was an easy fix but from reading this thread I see it is not so.

Thanks to those who posted previously.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Has anyone found a cure for this? They want $1100 for parts for my 2008. The fuel pump is fine, but the sending unit is bad and it is "integrated" into the pump. I'm thinking of an after market fuel pump with an external filter, but my real problem is the sending unit. Any thoughts?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,069 Posts
My fuel gauge lied to me....is it just me?

Well I got stranded today... hadn’t previously seen this thread.

Zero’s beach day after a long day at work yesterday, round trip approx 60 miles. 10 miles from home coming back on a slight incline my FJ suddenly dies..just stops, no noises etc.... My first thought was fuel stavation, fuel gauge said 1/4 tank or slightly more so thinking debris/blockage or something else....my brain is trying to dig posts from here out of my memory...

Lights up on the dash were just the standard ignition on/engine off sequence but of course I looked at them differently (oil, engine, a/t temp, battery)I checked a few things, tried it again, it fired up but only ran for a few seconds. So I rang the breakdown service....

Whilst waiting I managed to get the OBD and Torque to work and it said no codes...but don’t know if the reader works as never had any codes to read...

After being stopped a little while a guy comes out from the drive I’m stopped in, said he was a mechanic could he help...so I tried firing and he too said sounded like fuel (or no fuel). So I pumped the aux tank into the main and bingo all good!

Drove home - via the fuel station where it took 78 litres which is about the full capacity of the OE tank so bears up the theory again - aux was full so I was basically was just refilling the main.

So the back story.

Before I had the aux tank I nearly always filled the tank at about 1/2 full, I think I might have let it get low once... Since installing the tank I still tend to fill at 1/2 or fill from the aux. I very very rarely ever run any vehicle low on fuel. So I don't really know if the fuel gauge error is new, been there forever, or my fault for never letting it go down to zero.

·
Admin
6,483 Posts
I wonder if poor quality fuel is a factor in this?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,069 Posts
I wonder if poor quality fuel is a factor in this?

I’m wondering the same. I have always used supermarket fuel which is debated to be poorer quality than branded. But I also believe, having used both that the UK fuel generslly seems better than the US, at least for diesel but maybe not for
Petrol/gas. I’m thinking of putting an aditive through. That said now I know I’ll never trust the gauge and work from the trip instead.

·
Admin
6,483 Posts
I’m wondering the same. I have always used supermarket fuel which is debated to be poorer quality than branded. But I also believe, having used both that the UK fuel generslly seems better than the US, at least for diesel but maybe not for
Petrol/gas. I’m thinking of putting an aditive through. That said now I know I’ll never trust the gauge and work from the trip instead.
This all reminds me that I need to go get some Seafoam.

A good mechanic friend of mine says 2 cans per tank so I'm going to give it a shot.

I don't have a float issue (2008 FJ).... yet.

The last couple years I have been using premium Top Tier fuel too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Driving home yesterday. Gas gauge was 1/8 to 1/4. fuel light not on, truck runs out of power on the highway. didn't through any codes. Felt like it ran out of gas and it did. As soon as i put the gas in it started right up. it took 19.1 gal to fill. it was completely empty.
Didn't know this was a common problem. I guess im part of this club.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Driving home yesterday. Gas gauge was 1/8 to 1/4. fuel light not on, truck runs out of power on the highway. didn't through any codes. Felt like it ran out of gas and it did. As soon as i put the gas in it started right up. it took 19.1 gal to fill. it was completely empty.
Didn't know this was a common problem. I guess im part of this club.

So has anyone made a sticker for this new club?

I need one!

Happened to me Sunday night. Ran out of gas before gauge got near empty and no light.

I am going to fix it myself. And I am going with an external filter kit.

https://www.urdusa.com/urd-fj-cruiser-fuel-pumpfilter-upgrade-kit-2007-2009-usdm/

Is the level sensor built into the pump?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Rocky, what year is yours?

It seems that most of the posters with fuel gauge stuck near 1/4 ~ 1/8 were '07s...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its a 2010 with about 85000 miles on it.
I always put regular gas in it. but I remember now that that i filled it up with super 93 that time that it happened. thought i was giving my baby a treat by putting some better gas in it, but maybe it sturred something up. or might have nothing to do with it, it was the only thing different out of the norm, that i can think of.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It seems that most of the posters with fuel gauge stuck near 1/4 ~ 1/8 were '07s...
Since most of the FJ Cruisers in North America are 2007s and since they are also the oldest, most of almost any problem will be with 2007 models. Sales dropped off quickly so there are comparatively few 2009 and up FJs out there.

This is a good reason to keep the tank filled up since it is a bit dangerous to rely on the gauge for the last bit of fuel.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Since most of the FJ Cruisers in North America are 2007s and since they are also the oldest, most of almost any problem will be with 2007 models. Sales dropped off quickly so there are comparatively few 2009 and up FJs out there.

This is a good reason to keep the tank filled up since it is a bit dangerous to rely on the gauge for the last bit of fuel.
Guess I have been living on the edge for the last 12+ years, eh?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
actually, from this thread it is apparent that failures were also occurring after relatively few miles (first post was in May of 2006), which had made me wonder if it was perhaps a manufacturing quality issue

But you are absolutely correct, there were more '07s (including the ones built in '06) than all of the other years combined.

With such a small tank, and since the gauge is so poorly calibrated in the first place (reading E when more than 15% of its volume was still in) it was always my habit to use the trip odometer so that I could safely use another gallon or two.

x2 everyone who said you should use your trip odometer also to protect against this issue as well!

N

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've said this here before, but its been a year or two:
My Ultragauge is the only thing that keeps me from running on empty. I just reset it with every full tank (one button push) and I've got a much more accurate reading than my fuel gauge ever had.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Success!!!!!!!!!

This past Saturday morning istambull and I replaced the fuel level sensor and fuel filter on my wife's 2010 FJ. It took about 3 hours. This includes removing BudBuilt tank skid and a few minutes with the sledge to tweak it before reinstalling it. ;-) The most time consuming part were the two hoses that go to what I think was the charcoal canister. It took several minutes to figure out how the clips worked. Other than that it was a pretty straightforward process. Once you get the pump out everything just clips.

I did take some pictures. If you'd like them, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll get them over to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '07 FJ with 85k miles and I am the original owner. I first had this problem just a few months ago (Aug. 2018) and thought maybe I'd been careless in watching the gauge because I thought it showed 1/4 tank remaining when it stalled. I added a few gallons and it started right up.

Now it occasionally malfunctions. Twice it has shown 1/4 tank remaining but stalled because it was actually empty.

Going to try to figure out how to fix this.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have an '07 FJ with 85k miles and I am the original owner. I first had this problem just a few months ago (Aug. 2018) and thought maybe I'd been careless in watching the gauge because I thought it showed 1/4 tank remaining when it stalled. I added a few gallons and it started right up.

Now it occasionally malfunctions. Twice it has shown 1/4 tank remaining but stalled because it was actually empty.

Going to try to figure out how to fix this.
Gotta replace the float inside he gas tank , you can with drop the tank or cut a hole under the backseat in the floor board to access the gas tank

181 - 200 of 218 Posts