Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
PHP:
Had this happen on my '08 TTSE this fall. The light never came on and I wasn't paying attention to my Ultragauge.
Fortunately, I've been carrying a 2gal spare tank in the back to rescue stranded motorists, which ended up being me.
Has worked well since, but I'm watching it close.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it. Always been a bit worried about carrying gas around all day/every day in the back of the vehicle (spillage, etc). Might have to find a good can and secure it down and just rotate it out periodically.

·
Registered
162 Posts
PHP:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it. Always been a bit worried about carrying gas around all day/every day in the back of the vehicle (spillage, etc). Might have to find a good can and secure it down and just rotate it out periodically.
Get a can with the new locking spout design and use a bungee looped around the handle. Hook the bungee to the D rings on the cargo floor. It doesn't move and I have yet to have any leaks. You'll only regret it if you don't have it when you need it. Not a huge deal around town, but I definitely don't hit the highway without some spare gas.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Today ran out of gas. Second time this has happened to me. Needle showing 1/4 tank left.
Previous was a couple years ago. Might have to start carrying a gallon of gas with me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had this happen last Friday at rush hour. I was going up a small hill, and lost all power. Fortunately a good Samaritan and a nearby gas station resolved the problem within 15 minutes.

Like other posts, I was just under 1/4 of a tank... the needle was not hugging Empty... and the low fuel indicator never came on.

2007 FJ, 101k miles.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
same problem on my 2007 at 1/8th of a tank i ran out of gas problem didn't happen till the truck had 100,000 on it ...has anyone replaced the fuel sending unit out of warranty ? wonder what the cost was

·
Registered
753 Posts
same problem on my 2007 at 1/8th of a tank i ran out of gas problem didn't happen till the truck had 100,000 on it ...has anyone replaced the fuel sending unit out of warranty ? wonder what the cost was
No, I've just been living with it. There seem to be no other side effects, other than being perpetually 1/8th of a tank off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have not had the problem on my '13 FJC but I do have it with my wife's '11 4Runner. Ran out of gas twice with the guage showing between 1/8 & 1/4 tank left and no light on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just had this problem this morning. Went to start the truck in the garage and it sputtered before starting. First time that ever happened. After a few more tries it just degraded to engine cranking. (Luckily, I had about a half gallon of lawn mower gas handy--just enough to get 'er started and to the gas station. Took 18gals to fill it)

The fuel gauge read just a hair above a quater tank. I just had a lift done recently (with bushings), and new 285 tires put on. It never had this sort of problem before. I'm wondering if lifting changes the float level angle that it doesn't read correctly.

Truck has 86,600 on it and still have an aftermarket warrantee on it in case this is something the dealer can fix.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just had this problem this morning. Went to start the truck in the garage and it sputtered before starting. First time that ever happened. After a few more tries it just degraded to engine cranking. (Luckily, I had about a half gallon of lawn mower gas handy--just enough to get 'er started and to the gas station. Took 18gals to fill it)

The fuel gauge read just a hair above a quater tank. I just had a lift done recently (with bushings), and new 285 tires put on. It never had this sort of problem before. I'm wondering if lifting changes the float level angle that it doesn't read correctly.

Truck has 86,600 on it and still have an aftermarket warrantee on it in case this is something the dealer can fix.
Dealer should be able to fix it. I think it is a bad sending unit, or whatever it is called on an FJ. If I was under warranty, I'd get it fixed. Mine has not exhibited any other bad behavior other than just being off about 1/8th of a tank, but if it was under warranty, I'd get it taken care of.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dealer should be able to fix it. I think it is a bad sending unit, or whatever it is called on an FJ. If I was under warranty, I'd get it fixed. Mine has not exhibited any other bad behavior other than just being off about 1/8th of a tank, but if it was under warranty, I'd get it taken care of.
I'm planning on taking it to the dealer, since my warrantee is good till '20.

Anyone have any success getting this problem fixed by the dealer? Haven't seen too many postings of the problem being resolved. I'm hoping a new float/sending unit will do the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter was driving on the access road & her '07 FJ just stalled out & wouldn't restart. She was showing 1/4 tank of gas remaining but once they pushed her into the nearest gas station & she added some fuel, she started right up. Never had this problem before but now that I have found this site, I see it is a recurring issue. Thank you all for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Heads up:
If you are having your sender replaced, while they are in there, maybe see if they will also bend the sender arm for you so that the float sits lower in the tank. At that point the cost ought to be almost nothing, shop-time wise.

Originally, the float's centerline sits 15mm from the bottom of the tank when empty.
After bending my arm, it is now at 7mm from the bottom of the tank when empty.

Now, my gauge reads empty/light comes on, with about 2.5 gal left, instead of the original (stupid) 4 gallons. My target was 2 gal, but this is close enough that I probably won't do it a second time to fine-tune it more. Of course, it now also sits at "F" longer than before, but that doesn't matter much. In fact, as a result of that, it now passes by 1/2 at much closer to the actual 1/2-way point than it used to.

Just thought that I'd share this with the folks who are having their pump out anyway, in case you wanted to make the same change to yours, to improve your gauge usefulness.

Norm

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
wonder how much the fuel pump cost? via your right there to replace it having the tank pulled ...great idea on the bending the float

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok, just went to the dealer under an appointment to get this problem rectified. After a diagnostic ( that cost $64.22), the service tech determined it was, indeed, a sending unit. However, this is a problem even with the Tacos so much so that Toyota made an upgrade sending unit for FJs/Tacos and it should be made into service bulletin status.

So I figured my "extended warantee" would cover the costs, which they would have if my contract wasn't determined "expired". When I signed the thing, I was under the impression that my coverage was good till 2020. However, and what wasn't explained to me at the time of signing, was that the date the contract starts was the date that the original owner took delivery of the vehicle and then 84 months after that; NOT the date I bought the vehicle and thereafter. Talk about a rip off! :flame: So that means I paid for 2 years of "coverage" for a vehicle I never owned! That's another issue that has to be worked out.

So the bottom line was $507 dealer costs to do the job. The sending unit part # is TO83320-35640 $119.72 Best to get the part and either do the work yourself, or have a garage do it. A garage quoted me $50-60 cheaper than the dealer.

I'll have to wait on getting this one done—again! :flame::flame::flame:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ok, just went to the dealer under an appointment to get this problem rectified. After a diagnostic ( that cost $64.22), the service tech determined it was, indeed, a sending unit. However, this is a problem even with the Tacos so much so that Toyota made an upgrade sending unit for FJs/Tacos and it should be made into service bulletin status.

So I figured my "extended warantee" would cover the costs, which they would have if my contract wasn't determined "expired". When I signed the thing, I was under the impression that my coverage was good till 2020. However, and what wasn't explained to me at the time of signing, was that the date the contract starts was the date that the original owner took delivery of the vehicle and then 84 months after that; NOT the date I bought the vehicle and thereafter. Talk about a rip off! :flame: So that means I paid for 2 years of "coverage" for a vehicle I never owned! That's another issue that has to be worked out.

So the bottom line was $507 dealer costs to do the job. The sending unit part # is TO83320-35640 $119.72 Best to get the part and either do the work yourself, or have a garage do it. A garage quoted me $50-60 cheaper than the dealer.

I'll have to wait on getting this one done—again! :flame::flame::flame:
Just call these guys... I bet they would do it cheap

·
Registered
199 Posts
Epilogue: There was a problem with the extended warranty. I had to contact the original dealer in Illinoiz and explain the problem to the general manager. He did a little investigating and found out that there was a problem with whoever wrote up the agreement that they checked the wrong boxes. After he contacted the warranty company and sorted things out with them, he ended up getting me a new warranty that honors the dates I originally signed up for. Just today I took the FJ to the dealer—again—to get the fuel sending unit replaced. They finally did the work with the total bill coming to $510. After a couple phone calls back and forth to the general manager in Illinoiz he asked to talk to the cashier and then gave her a credit card number. Bill was paid without any out of pocket costs to me. When I picked up the truck and started it, the gas gauge was at 'E' with the low fuel indicator lit up. I only left about 4.5 gals of gas in it when I checked in. So now it's reading correctly. I then filled it up and the gauge moves all the way up to 'F'. Time will tell when I test it to make sure it's working properly.

161 - 180 of 223 Posts