Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested the function of the headlight shutoff as written in the owners manual (excerpt page below). They don't turn off in 30 seconds when the conditions are met, and they don't turn off when you push the lock button on key fob twice.

Previous owner had disabled the daylight running lamps which have been restored (he left the resistor in a bag in the glove box). So I'm thinking maybe he disabled the auto off feature as well. I didn't see any jumpers in either fuse box.

Any ideas on why this might not be working? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
My auto off stopped working when I turned off all the chimes. Haven’t figured that out yet either. Imma gonna follow.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
first check that our door courtesy switch is working correctly: when you open the door does the dome light come on? If it does not, then the ECU won't know the door was opened and won't turn off the headlights

·
Registered
175 Posts
My auto off stopped working when I turned off all the chimes. Haven’t figured that out yet either. Imma gonna follow.
Mines working fine. Chimes turned off not unplug, and daytime running unplug

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the door switches (simple with 10mm socket but make sure the plugs don't fall back into the hole). Tested with ohm meter and found no continuity with button out or in (supposed to have continuity with button out). Test between the metal bracket and the pin on the switch.

Both driver and passenger sides showed open circuit no matter the button position. The rear cargo door was intermittent with the button out.

I pulled the switches apart using a vice and a large screw drive to pry the two parts apart. Look at the switch and wiggle it and you will see where it comes apart. It took some force, and go slow. They will come apart (and then snap back together).

The little copper contact and the contact in the housing were corroded. Cleaned them up and put dielectric grease on them. Reinstalled and tested. Now I get door open warnings, the courtesy lights come on properly, the car doesn't lock itself with the doors open, and best yet the headlamps go off in 30 sec after the driver's door is closed.

Alternative is to just replace the little switches. I didn't source them but it appears places like auto zone have them.

Thanks for the inputs.

·
Premium Member
12,749 Posts
first check that our door courtesy switch is working correctly: when you open the door does the dome light come on? If it does not, then the ECU won't know the door was opened and won't turn off the headlights
My dome light is never on amd my lights still turn off.

·
Premium Member
12,749 Posts
I know, i just leave it in the Off position.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
The door switches are particularly susceptible to internal corrosion because one of the internal contacts is always 'hot', with battery always voltage present. Any moisture (condensation, etc.) that gets in the switch will start the galvanic corrosion process that leads to a 'runaway' corrosion situation as metal ions from the corroding contacts go into solution in the moisture, that leads to more conductivity in the moisture, that increases leakage current, that dissolves more metal, etc. I have disassembled several of these switches where almost all of the internal contact had been eroded into a black, conductive sludge. I'll post photos if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
"My dome light is never on and my lights still turn off." - that is normal, the courtesy switches tell the Body ECU when the door is opened (and starts the timer to shut off the headlights), regardless of whether you've got your dome light switch set to the "on" or "door" or "off" position.

·
Premium Member
12,749 Posts
"My dome light is never on and my lights still turn off." - that is normal, the courtesy switches tell the Body ECU when the door is opened (and starts the timer to shut off the headlights), regardless of whether you've got your dome light switch set to the "on" or "door" or "off" position.
Ahh...got it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts