Premium Member
3,571 Posts
We got it in Austin.

first time my dog has seen snow

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Bex winter 2011.jpg

We live here to avoid the snow. We don't even know how to dress for snow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I moved here from Kansas this summer and people down here freak out when it comes to snow. Looks like a good day to stay inside and brew a beer or two. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
In 19 years of living in Deep South Texas I've never seen so much ice on the roadways. I'm a firefighter for my town at 1720 we got called to a vehicle rollover, okay cool we can handle that no problem especially since no extrication was needed, well what we didn't expect was all the drizzle from the day to freeze on the roadways and cause at least 22 accidents (current count, still going over recordings) over the next hour and a half, that included PD and DPS units as well as 18 wheelers, we had to respond to each one and close off the expressway North and South bound, about a 30 mile stretch that included not only our jurisdiction but other cities as well since they did not have the man power to handle the chaos that was occurring around the entire area. Every officer was called in by our city's PD, including investigators, there was just not enough units, EMS was maxed out as well, it was just utter chaos.

TXDOT finally ended up getting to the expressway to provide us w/ barricades but by that time the damage was done, they even had to call mutual aid to our our city's streets dept. to help put up barricades N of our town because they ran out of them, there is ice everywhere, expressways are closed to traffic, every concrete bridge in town is closed because of ice.

Needless to say I had fun :lol:

I'm now warm at home :)

Stay warm and safe everyone, you all probably have it worse than do :lol:
Same for us last night. I got home from a cruiser club meeting around 2000 with plans to leave for work around 2230 for a 2300 shift as a extra crew for the expected weather. While chilling in the house I was unaware that the world went to crap outside. When I left at 2230 my normally 15min drive took an hour. I called my wife (she was the field supervisor last night) and she said oh yeah roads are crap and we already had an ambulance in a wreck.

We were super busy and response times went to crap due to the roads. Most of us had a blast and made the best of it though..It was an all night adrenaline rush for sure.

Nothing like flicking a big ambulance sideways thru an intersection then hitting the gas to straighten out and keep going..with the lights on and siren blaring..While the other vehicles remain stuck or hopelessly spinning wheels..

I had a fun night and love my job.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pretty disappointing here in Coldspring, TX.. Some ice in the trees and on the grass. Yesterday we drove to Conroe for lunch and actually saw a wet spot on the pavement in a parking lot. The worst part of the journey was the thin ice on our elevated wood walkway.

oldMattB

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
We got it in Austin.

first time my dog has seen snow

Ha ha, that's funny....I caught the theme.....there's something wrong with all three shots.......the swimming pool with snow all around......the dog not just going crazy out in it.......and the palm-ish looking fronds covered in some kind of wacky white substance.....what a hoot! :armed:

TMI :rofl:

Yeah, I agree. I moved here from Kansas this summer and people down here freak out when it comes to snow. Looks like a good day to stay inside and brew a beer or two. :cheers:
speaking of beer....I just had some stout at Crested Butte Brewery in Gunnison, CO.....yum! It was their monthly 'open mic night', and JammerGirl played piano and sang a few songs. Great beer, good new friends, and a lot of fun.

Oh....today, while she was doing seminars, I got to go driving all day in blizzards and sunshine.....from one end of the county to the other.....it was amazing, all of the different kinds of roads and weather I got to experience today.....good thing was, not many people out there where I was brave enough to venture out into. :)

"Me thinks the world is crazy save thee and me, and at times I wonder about thee." Samuel Johnson, 18th century English writer
:lol: that's great

·
Registered
354 Posts
The drivers down here are some of the worse I've ever seen.........and that says alot after living in the DFW metroplex for almost 13 yrs! Most of them are completely clueless even before the ice was on the roads!

I just stayed home for a couple of days to avoid the nonsense on the roadways.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
That was our two weeks of winter.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The drivers down here are some of the worse I've ever seen.........and that says alot after living in the DFW metroplex for almost 13 yrs! Most of them are completely clueless even before the ice was on the roads!

I just stayed home for a couple of days to avoid the nonsense on the roadways.
There's no way they can be compared to Dallas drivers. :rofl: We rule in bad driving skills. :rocker: :mecry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts