Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had time to finally install the bumper.. Ran into a problem with fittament.. With the mounting points flushed my passenger side is perfect but the driver side has about a 1/2inch gap.. the height is not an issue since it appears the driver side sticks out forward more? .. Im happy with the way the bumper looks but was wondering if anyone has came accross this and how they addressed it..

I can add spacers on the passenger mounting point to match it with the driver side but will only lead to creating a gap on the passenger side..

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Re: domello fittament

You definitely want some gap so your not smashing/grinding parts due to flex while offroading, BUT the gap should be pretty even all the way around. Mine lines up evenly. Sounds like you have an issue somewhere. I would guess either something is bent on your frame rail, front body panels or manufacture defect on the bumper.
If nothing is obviously bent, I'd give demello a call and see if there is any way to measure the bumper or mounts to see if its built out of spec.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

Just had time to finally install the bumper.. Ran into a problem with fittament.. With the mounting points flushed my passenger side is perfect but the driver side has about a 1/2inch gap.. the height is not an issue since it appears the driver side sticks out forward more? .. Im happy with the way the bumper looks but was wondering if anyone has came accross this and how they addressed it..

I can add spacers on the passenger mounting point to match it with the driver side but will only lead to creating a gap on the passenger side..
Sometimes it's as simple as loosening up all the bolts and re-tightening them. Try to loosen all the bolts up have a friend hold one side at a time where you want it and then tighten it down. You do want some gap though so make sure you keep that in mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Passenger side has a pefect gap allready, driver side is pretty obvious gap is bigger.. took it off and on a few times to see if theres any damage but nothing sticks out that i can see.. tried tightening the driver side first but no change simply because both sides are flushed at mounthing points once there tightend ..
i emailed you 2 photos one of pass side and driver side hopefully this will explain it better..

·
Banned
1,667 Posts

Do you have fender bulges or tears?
Has it been in a wreck?
The front body may be twisted already. Check the gap between hood and grille.
I have fender bulges and I know mine has uneven gaps and margins along the door/fender hood/fender hood/grille.

It may not be the case with your fj but maybe something just to check out.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

Passenger side has a pefect gap allready, driver side is pretty obvious gap is bigger.. took it off and on a few times to see if theres any damage but nothing sticks out that i can see.. tried tightening the driver side first but no change simply because both sides are flushed at mounthing points once there tightend ..
i emailed you 2 photos one of pass side and driver side hopefully this will explain it better..
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like about an 1/8in gap difference, is that correct?

If that's the difference some times that's as close as it can get. Some other things to check are as mentioned by other members fender bulge and or front end damage.

We've had bumpers fitment be a little off on one truck but simply put it on anther truck and it fits perfect. Front to back alignment like you are seeing is usually a body bulge issue, or the fender simple isn't aligned right. Remember that the factory bumper bolts to the body and is plastic so will form or mold to where ever the body is where as the aftermarket bumper mounts to the frame and can be off a little bit.

If you could send me a few more shots from the front.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

Sorry wasn't done typing yet, a few more shots from the front so I can see the vertical gap as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts