Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my Demello flat top bumper last night and it looks great...I can't wait to get my winch to get that installed too! Anyhow, after I installed it I noticed that the inner fender well plastic needed to be trimmed back so that it is not hanging down. However, I wasn't sure where it would be best to cut it so that it looks right and doesn't flap in the wind. Do any of you have pictures showing where you cut your inner fender liner? Also, did you add any additional screws to anchor it in place? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I just cut it back above the fender metal, no extra screws needed.

No pictures currently.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I cut the liner back at bumper level and coated the sheet metal with rubberize undercoating.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
What they said, except I used tin snips to trim mine back following the contour of the remaining fender well and bumper.
Thats how I did mine. With tin snips. Much easier than a utility knife and safer for me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I used a Dremel. Cut a perfect line. It's become my go-to tool for cutting/trimming plastic pieces on the FJ.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
I used a Dremel. Cut a perfect line. It's become my go-to tool for cutting/trimming plastic pieces on the FJ.
You just use one of the standard cutting wheels?

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Gah, just realized that thread was from Jan 1 2011, not 2012. :(

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
No, you have to remove the bumper. Fortunately, once you've done all the prep work in removing the factory bumper, taking the Demello on and off looks to be extremely simple.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Once you get the Demello in place it is easy to remove and then reinstall. I've done it a few times by myself. I'm afraid I just did a hack job on cutting the innners. I did use a few sheetmetal screws to hold everything in place and then used some spray undercoat. Everything came out just fine and is not noticeable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I almost wish I hadn't read the last couple of posts. Almost. You see, I've been putting off buying the DO bumper until I could afford the bumper AND winch together, not wanting to install, then remove and reinstall a heavy bumper. But now... why wait? The wife can't stop me from ordering parts if she's asleep. Shhhhhh...

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
^ :lol:

Once you've done the install once, removing it is simple..

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
^ :lol:

Once you've done the install once, removing it is simple..
8 bolts and BAM. It's off. Do whatever you need to do, and then 8 bolts torqued down and BAM. You're done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts