Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Wanderlust
4,154 Posts
Does the demello shown above have any light tabs on the hoop or top of bumper?
I like the chik comment by the way!
Here is the problem im having. With the metal tech, it seems like i dont have much protection down there. I think it would be great for a sandy/rocky area. In arkansas there isnt much rock, or at least where im at. We have gumbo (mud). Really heavy thick mud that is very easy to get stuck in. And sand. Lots of trees, so a ton of debris in the way of sticks. Im leaning toward the demello but i am wanting something that has light tabs. Also, currently i do not have a winch and im worried that the bumper will be uncomplete without a winch (same goes for the metal tech).
Jason can also make a custom front bumper for you too. Just call and discuss what you want/need. My tube front bumper with light tabs for Lightforce 240s. Mine weighs ~ 57 lbs.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I really like Exp One but when it came down to Demello and Exp One the only difference was hoop shapes as I liked the DIAMOND better on Expedition ONE...so asked Demello if he would do a custom hoop setup for me with some angle but without copying the DIAMOND and he did it for free....plus with shipping from Cali to east coast it was still cheaper than Exp One for me to get.

THey are all great though......though I prefer full metal than hoops....go with your gut

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well, I'm in AR but we do have rocks up here in the Ozarks (and mud)
I have the All-pro, but if I was buying today, I would get Demello as it is a better wincher.
If mud is a major concern, go for a tube as it is easier to clean at the wash--a plate bumper requires "stupid human tricks" and a bit of back spray to get into the crevices
I'm getting a tube rear, and in light of that, the metal tech would have been a good choice for me too.
You will be pleased with all you listed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Keep em coming guys. This is awesome! It is still kinda in the middle for me. I love the look of the tube bumper but since i figured out that demello will do a custom loop for a buyer that also helps. You think metal tech would help me out with covering the openings?

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Jason can also make a custom front bumper for you too. Just call and discuss what you want/need. My tube front bumper with light tabs for Lightforce 240s. Mine weighs ~ 57 lbs.
I really like Exp One but when it came down to Demello and Exp One the only difference was hoop shapes as I liked the DIAMOND better on Expedition ONE...so asked Demello if he would do a custom hoop setup for me with some angle but without copying the DIAMOND and he did it for free....plus with shipping from Cali to east coast it was still cheaper than Exp One for me to get.

THey are all great though......though I prefer full metal than hoops....go with your gut
Call Mark or LT at Metal Tech and talk to them about what you want done. They are great, and I'm sure they will be able to help you out.
As you can see, both of these companies are well respected, perform great customer service and make fine products. Its really on you now, which direction you want to go. Jason makes the best plate bumpers I've seen while Mark/LT make outstanding tube bumpers and each of them would gladly customize their products to fit your needs.

I'd suggest to start calling them and see what can come of what you want, when you want it. I think that this thread has given fair opinions and options for both Jason and Mark/LT, the ball is in your court now...

·
Registered
295 Posts
what about the arb, i like the integrated fog lights

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here is the problem im having. With the metal tech, it seems like i dont have much protection down there. I think it would be great for a sandy/rocky area. In arkansas there isnt much rock, or at least where im at. We have gumbo (mud). Really heavy thick mud that is very easy to get stuck in. And sand. Lots of trees, so a ton of debris in the way of sticks. Im leaning toward the demello but i am wanting something that has light tabs. Also, currently i do not have a winch and im worried that the bumper will be uncomplete without a winch (same goes for the metal tech).
Here in the Pacific North West we also have a lot of mud, trees, roots etc. on the trails as well. We also travel and support events all across the country so I am familiar with the terrain you are describing. I would pit either our winch set up or bash plate set up in any terrain. The way the winch mounts (floats separately from the bumper) it will protect your vital radiator etc. from large impacts due to the twin ¼” walled 1 ½” square bars the winch is mounted to. These twin bars also have three heavy gage expanded metal panels welded to them blocking sticks, rocks etc. from getting to the radiator. The only open areas to the radiator would be behind your winch. The open sides don’t have any critical parts exposed so we keep them open and the weight down. The bumper its self is also a bit unusual in that we use 1 ¾” tubing that is 100% DOM-SRA. It is expensive but its also some of the strongest structural tubing avlaible. (Same class of tube we make roll cages out of)

Shoot me an e-mail or a phone call. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. We actually do have two panels drawn in CAD to put behind the winch to “guard” the radiator from sticks. These were started back when we first built our bumper. Once we made the first few bumpers, tested them on the trail and off, we saw it was not an issue and have not even cut proto types of the guards. Still would happy to discuss your needs and concerns, we are more than happy to work with you. 503-822-1111 or [email protected]

Mark

·
Registered
579 Posts
Three great choices.....bottom line you will be very pleased with any one of the three. My 2 cents =

Pro’s Vs Cons:
The Expedition One Trail Series Bumper (EX1-TS) does have a very large winch bay which I believe accepts a larger range of winches then the Demello Off Road Single Center Hoop Bumper (DO-SH) model will (however the DO-SH really fits all the good winches on the market).
The EX1-TS does not look as goofy with a roller fair lead where as the DO-SH bumper looks like the synthetic line fair lead was the intended set up.
DO-SH bumper has slightly better approach angle than the EX1-TS
Metal Tech Tube Bumper (MTTB) is most likely the strongest (due to the tube design) also the lightest of the three plus has a larger range of winch choices than the DO-SH.

Things to consider:
If you plan on changing out the rear bumper having a matching front is nice. I.e. think about the rear bumpers as well when evaluating the front bumpers.
Ask how there bumpers match up with existing after market skids out there.
Ask if you can mount a high lift jack via tube clamp mount to the bumper.

My experience with Expedition One:
Great experience dealing with EX1 and excellent after sale service. I honestly could not imagine a better bumper or better company to deal with. I have a 12,000 lb winch mounted on my EX1-TS and have double snatched it in some odd angles pulling out full sized trucks and have had no issues.

Obligatory shameless pic:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Another vote for Metaltech. I have had the bumper for over a year (one of the first prototypes IIRC - also the first tube bumper to be available for the FJC). Excellent quality build, easy to install, plenty of tabs to attach lights, winch controller, etc.
Although, I am pre-disposed towards tube bumpers (which Metaltech, have plenty of experience building) - weight was my primary consideration for an expedition type vehicle - that was the decision maker. Mark was great to work with - answered all my questions.
All the other choices are most certainly quality fabricators- it becomes a question of personal preference.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Another vote for a Demello front bumper. I have bashed mine on rocks and trees without any issues.

This is why it's called the Demello HIGH clearance front bumper. :p The bumper did not hit on this ledge.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I live down the street from Expedition One's new office. James is an amazing guy. He has his own FJ and designs everything for fantastic fit and finish. He is VERY picky...and everything is the BEST. I have some big ol' Hella lights and James is going to put custom light tabs on the hoop so it fits my lights! CUSTOM!

Cons: My wife keeps saying the kids have to eat. No bumper yet--but it is coming!

My opinion is free and worth every penny. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
These are great posts! I am gaining a ton of knowledge! I really like the tube bumper. I will be giving metal tech a call. I am also going to call the guys at demello. I have some specific questions for them both. I really appreciate everybody's opinions! And those are some SICK pictures. I wish there was places to ride like i see in the photos. I am still open to any other opinions.

Thanks guys!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Personal preference, i kept jumping back and forth between the Demello and EX-1 and ended up with this. But I got the best of both worlds, bought the EX-1 and had Demello install it!(im local to DO) Both are top-notch company's. Cant go wrong with either , imo...

good luck.
-Mike:bigthumb:

heres my EX-1 no hoops!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can we include price points in this discussion as well?

I really like the tube bumpers by both DO and MT. Do we have any pros and cons for these two?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts