Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts:

6/25/18 -- Called Demello to order a bumper for my '10 FJ. It was for an aluminum single hoop front bumper but with the "Rallye" style hoops (two smaller support rods behind the main hoop).

10/16/18 -- Jason called in to advise that the bumper is ready for shipment but there was an issue. Their manufacturing department made a mistake and built the bumper with the standard single hoop instead of the "Rallye" style hoop. Jason offered to ship the single hoop bumper and refund the difference of $50. I asked for some time to think it over, as I really wanted the other style hoop.

10/18/18 -- Jason called in and I confirmed that I will take the standard single hoop bumper that they have in stock. I was advised that it would ship right away.

10/29/18 -- Called Demello for the tracking number and was advised that their shipping department was out for the day (????).

10/30/18 -- Called Demello twice and finally got a UPS tracking number. Checked UPS online tracking and it doesn't show up on their system. Apparently, the bumper was shipped out today - over a week since they confirmed they will ship.

Subjective thoughts:

I understand that the bumpers are built to order and that a wait time was inevitable. It has been over 4 months since I placed the order. And to be honest, I really didn't mind the wait.

What really bothered me was that the single hoop bumper was sitting there for 12 days. I feel like the bumper wouldn't have shipped out today if I didn't call them!? There is so much lack of communication and broken shipping promises. I feel that I got the run around and they really don't value their customers.

I really wished it turned out better, as I really like their products. But as it turns out, they've lost a customer and will take my money elsewhere.

Edit: I'll update this thread when or if I actually receive the bumper.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
They build aluminum bumpers in batches, as I believe an outside vendor cuts the internal bracing parts for them.

I had a similar experience with Demello last fall. I ordered a 3-hoop aluminum bumper on Thanksgiving and was told there was a 10-week wait, which I knew and accepted. Then in February they contacted me to tell me there had been a mistake and they had build an evil-eye version. I told them no, I wanted what I ordered, so I had to wait for the next batch. I finally got my bumper in late May, about 6 months after I ordered it, which was unfortunately too late for my Moab trip.

It is a very nice bumper, though.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They build aluminum bumpers in batches, as I believe an outside vendor cuts the internal bracing parts for them.

I had a similar experience with Demello last fall. I ordered a 3-hoop aluminum bumper on Thanksgiving and was told there was a 10-week wait, which I knew and accepted. Then in February they contacted me to tell me there had been a mistake and they had build an evil-eye version. I told them no, I wanted what I ordered, so I had to wait for the next batch. I finally got my bumper in late May, about 6 months after I ordered it, which was unfortunately too late for my Moab trip.

It is a very nice bumper, though.
I am also planning for Moab in 2 weeks and, wrongfully assumed, that it would be here by now. Ugh..

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of 9pm ET 10/30/18, the tracking number doesn't come up on the UPS online system. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bogus tracking number. I will call Demello tomorrow (and everyday) until this gets resolved.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,258 Posts
Pump the brakes bro, give em a call and see what the skinny is. And if you ain't happy with the hoop, why'd you okay it? Maybe this is a good thing, get what YOU WANT or get a refund and go shop elsewhere. Love my E-1. ;) But screw the $50, you have to look at it forever.

I had a vendor on here ship the wrong parts and blew my Florence Beach Run last year. Idiot on the phone told me it's my fault, even though the invoice showed the correct parts. He couldn't care less that I missed a planned trip and wanted the wrong parts returned at my expense before he'd ship the correct ones. $hit happens. :smoker:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pump the brakes bro, give em a call and see what the skinny is. And if you ain't happy with the hoop, why'd you okay it? Maybe this is a good thing, get what YOU WANT or get a refund and go shop elsewhere. Love my E-1. ;) But screw the $50, you have to look at it forever.

I had a vendor on here ship the wrong parts and blew my Florence Beach Run last year. Idiot on the phone told me it's my fault, even though the invoice showed the correct parts. He couldn't care less that I missed a planned trip and wanted the wrong parts returned at my expense before he'd ship the correct ones. $hit happens. :smoker:
I'm fine with the single hoop and don't mind it at all. My first preference is what I ordered, but whatever.. mistakes happen.

What irks me is incompetence. It is the fact that they had the bumper and ready to ship on 10/18 Thu or the least 10/19 Fri. It took over a week to ship? And most likely not have shipped if I didn't call?? That's just irresponsible on their part.

They can keep the $50 if I don't ever have to deal with them again.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
FWIW, some specialty offroad shops here are closed Mondays. Not trying to defend their actions but the shipping guy being out could be valid lol. I had a similar experience of ordering their hybrid rock sliders in raw finish. They said it was ready to be picked up but upon reviewing, they only had powdercoated sliders available. They stated that I could wait for the raw finish in the next batch or pay extra for the powdercoat that day. I was there in person, and the mistake was theirs. I can't believe they were charging me extra for their mistake. At any rate, just wanted it on, and I had a helper, so I got my sliders. I ended up selling them off to another member to support better companies. It seems like their habits haven't changed much.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,258 Posts
Well then, If I were you, I'd cancel the entire order and demand a refund or call the cc company and dispute it. Refuse the order if it arrives.

Like I said, you're the one who has to live with it and look at it.

Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I have cut my loses with jason Demello since 2013.
After my truck was re-geard at his shop, and long story short, I was stranded 150 miles from home and that was that.

Sent the front diff to Chase at ECGS and I was told that the pinion bearings and the carrier bearings/shims was set way to high and every moving internal parts whore it self out and destroyed everything else, and after talking to Jason he refused warranty. So [email protected]@k them.

He is not going to get my business or my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
I want to get demello front and rear alum bumpers in the future, like a year front now, maybe I should order it now, lol.

If similar case happens, I know a lot of online shops would give you the partial refund for the mistake they made [Amazon being #1 , and some eBay sellers, a bunch of others too].

Too bad I don't know other aluminum bumper that looks as sharp yet.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Having worked in Engineering and Manufacturing for 50+ years, many of those with small companies and tech startups, I'd like to offer a little different perspective on iLuveKetchup's complaint with DeMello.

(I have no relationship with DeMello, and own no DeMello products of any kind.)

Dealing with a small specialty fab shop IS different than dealing with Amazon, or Apple, or any other large, tightly-controlled commercial entity. In a small shop, everyone will wear multiple hats and perform multiple job functions, and with a small business there inevitably will be unexpected delays and issues that may affect fab time (or shipping date) that are completely outside of the control of the business.

The shop may provide a customer with an "expected" delivery date, but you have to realize that there is a "tolerance" on that date, +/- X or XX days. Deliveries of parts from laser or water-jet cutting subcontractors, powder-coat vendors, packaging materials suppliers, etc. can all affect actual delivery time.

You can order a replacement bumper cover from your Toyota dealer, and generally be assured that it will be in your hands in a few days.

If you want a custom-made, low-production-volume, specialty bumper from a specialty fab shop, you need to factor-in a little flexibility in the delivery date, regardless of what may have been "promised" months earlier. A lot of unexpected things can happen over the time span of a few months.

DeMello makes good-looking, well-made products. On DeMello aluminum bumpers I have seen, the design, fab work and weld quality were first class. You don't really have very many choices in aluminum bumper suppliers, so you have to set your priorities.

As to your concern with tracking numbers, be advised that the tracking number is issued when the order to pick up the item is transmitted to the carrier. Depending on your location, the of day time, and the day of the week, an item might not be picked up until 12 (or more) hours after the tracking number is first assigned. If the item being transported is large, heavy, an awkward shape, etc. UPS may send a special truck to handle it, not the "standard" truck optimized for a large quantity of small packages. There can be a substantial delay between the time that a tracking number is generated, and when it first shows up on the carrier's website. Your insinuation that DeMello issued you a "bogus" tracking number should be retracted if that number eventually DOES show up as valid.

So relax, be patient, and enjoy your bumper when it arrives. The mix-up in hoop configuration is more difficult to justify, but you were appraised of the problem and given the option to accept the single hoop or wait longer for the exact configuration you wanted, and you made your choice.

Stamping your foot and stating that you will never deal with DeMello again is, in my opinion, a little short-sighted.

Think of it as having commissioned a unique piece of artwork from a gifted but busy and somewhat disorganized artist; it will be done when its done, no sooner.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,107 Posts
Well said above... I'll share my experiences regarding bumpers.

My first ever order with Demello was for sliders, delays were my end due to me trying to sort out the purchase of the FJ from 3000miles away... I missed the stock and had to order what I wanted but was promised they could make them in time to meet the shipping date of the truck, they did, just, though it did nearly go without them as I'd been told they had been delivered, I can't point blame in any particular direction for that mix up but they did take longer than I was told.

A couple of times I tried to jump on one of the overstocks and missed out due to shipping cost issues, I did manage to order an overstock rear bumper and arrange my own shipping for a fraction of the price of their carrier. I had the bumper in a few days and it was fantastically well wrapped and they were helpful throughout.

By contrast when I wanted a front bumper they were not very willing to accommodate a repeat of a special they had done for "the Rock" at SEMA, as said above they now outsource a lot of their fab and that makes one off's harder, (I just wanted a lower hoop). So I went to another small fabricator who was fantastic and made me a one off special that turned out great but I did wait for ages and ages for it.

For small manufacturers sales and shipping are always a bit of an issue as they don't have funds for additional staff to do this task and it takes time, time that they need to spend fabbing, The more popular their products become the harder that balance becomes, I've come across it often.

That doesn't make poor service excusable, generally I accept there will be issues, missed deadlines etc but so long as the company continue to communicate (also hard if they're busy) and is truthful then I live with the delays. It sounds like this is where DO has failed you and I too would be unhappy but I hope you can balance it out with the quality of the product.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stamping your foot and stating that you will never deal with Demello again is, in my opinion, a little short-sighted.
As opposed to? Should I continue to buy Demello products and expect a different outcome? That sounds insane to me.

Just to reiterate.. I am not bothered by the hoop configuration or the build time. Again, I understand that there can be delays and I expected this. My issue lies when I agreed to take the bumper (that was in stock) and for it to take over 12 days to ship out of their warehouse. And this is subjective ofcourse, it seems like they forgot to ship and only realized when I called. Having the bumper sit and having me call in to ask for it is infuriating.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,767 Posts
I see both sides of this, and believe all companies are like living organisms with unique characteristics, lifespans, and some very predictable factors related to growth/demise. With small companies manufacturing custom products for our FJs, I believe the characteristics tend to be individualistic, with highly passionate people at the helm (at least, initially...). The incredible amount of work and time required to succeed is staggering, and burnout very easily happens. I have met many of these people, most of whom impress the hell out of me, and some who made me glad I never ordered anything from their company.

Initially I also ordered a Demello, but cancelled it. I went with RESZ because I specifically wanted one built by a small company, someone passionate about their work who would pay attention to details and give me some custom design modifications. When I ordered my bumper from RESZ I knew it would take 3 months (it did) and be done right (it was). I continue to hear complaints about how long it takes to get things from him...but never issues about quality. Sounds normal to me :wink

Bottom line, with fewer and fewer aftermarket companies making products for FJs, I’m hesitant to openly criticize any of them....unless there’s a safety or quality issue. What we CAN and should do is post positive reviews of products and companies we like, in part to help promote their longevity. We all benefit from that :smile

·
Registered
102 Posts
i dont think they made a mistake building your bumper , I think they didnt make it at all and just happened to have the one they offered you sitting there or was made for a different customer.
Either way thats some BS man, hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
That's to bad. I remember back in the day Demello was held in high standards out here in So Cal. I wonder what happened to change the customer service.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.