Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
A-Team Moderator
9,028 Posts
SEMA started yesterday, maybe they got sidetracked? I know Exp 1 is there. And let's face it, the FJC production is dead. Why should these companies be expected to keep stock on hand for a vehicle that's no longer being produced. They had to move on to the Colorado's, Dodge, Sprinter vans, etc. There's going to come a time when they say no more.

Good luck ketchup, I hope you get the answer that you're looking for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's to bad. I remember back in the day Demello was held in high standards out here in So Cal. I wonder what happened to change the customer service.
There is almost always a point where a small company that builds a sought after product becomes overwhelmed by orders and customer service suffers for it. You don't want to tell a customer that it will be 6 months to get something because they will most likely go elsewhere unless they are deadset on your specific product. So overpromise and under deliver becomes a more common thing. It was a huge problem in the Honda world back in the day and unfortunately a lot of times it wasn't just the service that suffered but the quality as well.

At least they are still offering the parts for a discontinued vehicle and the quality seems to still be high. At this point I would consider anything I ordered for my FJ from a smaller company a one off production piece.

Also the UPS/USPS tracking site sometimes does not operate correctly due to a miss-scan on their part. I have had items from both that showed up on my door before they were shown as shipped on the tracking site.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I am also planning for Moab in 2 weeks and, wrongfully assumed, that it would be here by now. Ugh..
Fortunately, no winching was needed on my Moab trip, hopefully yours is the same. :smile

·
Registered
195 Posts
As opposed to? Should I continue to buy Demello products and expect a different outcome? That sounds insane to me.

Just to reiterate.. I am not bothered by the hoop configuration or the build time. Again, I understand that there can be delays and I expected this. My issue lies when I agreed to take the bumper (that was in stock) and for it to take over 12 days to ship out of their warehouse. And this is subjective ofcourse, it seems like they forgot to ship and only realized when I called. Having the bumper sit and having me call in to ask for it is infuriating.
You should also keep in mind that this is a bumper you're talking about. You don't just drop it off at your local UPS store any day of the week. You need to schedule a freight pickup, which, I would think, takes time. I wouldn't be surprised if they only shipped products requiring freight once a week, or once every couple of weeks, or maybe once the whole batch is complete and ready to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You should also keep in mind that this is a bumper you're talking about. You don't just drop it off at your local UPS store any day of the week. You need to schedule a freight pickup, which, I would think, takes time. I wouldn't be surprised if they only shipped products requiring freight once a week, or once every couple of weeks, or maybe once the whole batch is complete and ready to go.
My warehouse is in the middle of nowhere in northern NJ and if i call them before noon they come the same day for freight pickup

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
My warehouse is in the middle of nowhere in northern NJ and if i call them before noon they come the same day for freight pickup
Not a valid comparison.

If you are truly in the middle of nowhere and are the only UPS customer within a 25 mile radius, the local UPS facility must have almost nothing else to do except service YOUR needs.

With DeMello in crazy So Cal, UPS will have thousands of customers (maybe tens of thousands of customers) in DeMello's immediate area

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Having started our own small business 10 years ago, I can sympathize with both. Hardest thing to say as a small business is “No”. It’s normally feast or famine so saying no is a tough word to get out at times. One thing I learned beforehand while working with large engineering companies is to never give a deadline that can’t be met. I’d submit my timeline and they’d tack 2 weeks onto it. I’d get frustrated thinking that they didn’t trust my work but it was a buffer to ensure that we always met our submittals. Learned a valuable lesson and have carried it forward. I’d rather give someone a very conservative schedule and complete it early than a tight timeline that allows no room for error, corrections or life to screw it up. Like they say “One oh sh!t cancels out a 1000 attaboys!”

I always try to buy from the smaller vendors and support them as I know how tough it can be. Years without taking vacation, working late into the night and weekends. Countless hours on the phone and writing proposals for nothing. One begins to value life as a cog in a big company. Take personal days whenever you need as there is someone that can step in and complete the work while your out.... doesn’t happen in small business. The folks that support our community are passionate and enthusiasts like the rest of us. But most aren’t big companies with endless amounts of resources.

I’m sorry to hear of your ordeal. Hopefully you get it resolved and end take delivery of a really cool bumper.

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
Growing pains. I remember when Demello started for the FJC they were the budget option, bumpers costing next to half what they are now. Bigger business, less time for customer service. There was an article somewhere where they interviewed Jason and he said how many bumpers they sold in a day. And I'm sure they are getting a few more orders now since Pelfrybilt screwed everyone, at least that didn't happen to you. I have an order for a custom axle with Diamond that's taken 8 months when I was quoted 8 weeks so I'll shutup now. :)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I have an order for a custom axle with Diamond that's taken 8 months when I was quoted 8 weeks so I'll shutup now. :)

Lol, I told you the Diamond axle will take a looooooong time to build :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Should I continue to buy Demello products and expect a different outcome? That sounds insane to me.

Yes, you should continue to consider buying DeMello products IF they are what you want, IF you are satisfied with the quality of your front bumper when you finally get it installed, and IF you let DeMello know that you were not happy about the late delivery of your first product.

As I see it, the only real problem was poor communication. If someone from DeMello had called you every 5 days after the due date and provided an update on build and ship status, I don't think you would have felt so miffed.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes, you should continue to consider buying DeMello products IF they are what you want, IF you are satisfied with the quality of your front bumper when you finally get it installed, and IF you let DeMello know that you were not happy about the late delivery of your first product.
Sorry I learn my lessons quickly and move on. It is insane to expect different results.

As I see it, the only real problem was poor communication. If someone from DeMello had called you every 5 days after the due date and provided an update on build and ship status, I don't think you would have felt so miffed.
You are either not reading or just not comprehending my posts. Ad nauseam, my problem is the bumper shipped on Oct 30th when it was said to be ready to ship on Oct 18th. And IMO, only shipped when I called in on Oct 29th.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.