Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am looking into fron bumpers...kind of found intrest in the demello with 3 hoop, and the road armor winch bumper with titan guard...neither cheap, but either well worth it. im wanting to hear what owners of either have to say...any pro's or con's? any problems?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
My single-hoop Demello has saved me on the trail and pushed other trucks without any damage to the bumper. Excellent approach angle, good protection and strength for its weight. You can see mine in person at Digger's work day in a couple of weeks, meanwhile here is a photo:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would vote for the Demello one. Looks much better to me. Much lighter too. You prob only need a single hoop too. 1911 has the hoop been useful to you?

Edit
I may be mistaken about the Demello one being lighter. From what there is in the bumper comparison, without hoops, demello and road armor are the same weight. 75lbs

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
1911 has the hoop been useful to you?

Only to keep brush from poking my grill/radiator I guess; mostly I think it looks better than no hoops. When I pushed a truck it made contact with the hoop also so maybe that helped distribute the pushing force a bit.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Demello.. Lighter... Better approach angles and
tire clearance for obstacles... and the FLAT top
works great as a step when the water get deep !...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Also have the Demello/single hoop. I liked the look of it over the RA. Also was looking to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
What gap??

Theres a gap in the middle so you have access to the top of your winch. But you can have one made with out. (I should have but I changed my mind after)

I dont think the approach angel is much different. I know all Road Armor owners love the bumper. Id wait and see both in person b-4 you make a decision.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i like both! i like how the Road Armor (w/titan) gives more front end protection, but i went with the Demello for price, quality customer service, and customer feedback about the quality of the bumper. i have not installed my 3-hoop yet, so i can't give a personal comment about the bumper until i throw it on. the shipping weight of the 3-hoop demello is 100lbs.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guys...once again i want to say thanx for the words, and pics, of wisdom..both look really good, and from what i can tell, are both beneficial...look great..chatsworth..the black on black..

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
What gap??
You really SHOULD have a gap, no gap will allow
the body(supported by bushings that allow the
body move independently of the frame) to make
contact with the bumper and force it to twist
more then it was ment to...

Demello, I haven't seen one do this
VVVVVVVV
A giant F350 with a with a planted gas pedal and way way to much tow strap slack will do that.
Yes... User' AREA really !... Nothing would have
held up to that kind of YANK !... Always use the
proper SHACKLE points, not the push/bull bars,
too much leverage...

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
^^^ WHAT THE.... (((((((((((BOOOM)))))))))))...

Oh... RA did improve their mounts after the bumper
pull off incident I believe (someone could verify this)...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think thats the bumpers fault. I think it's a big mistake to use the tow points on the bumper in the first place. The factory tow point's are welded to the frame and are lower down, so theres more force pulling upwards and out of the hole. Maybe the strap would have snapped if it was tied to the factory tow point in that situation... Probably not as bad as the bumper being pulled off...

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
^^^ No, the strap was put around the upper
tube loop from what I at the top, and the pull
leverage rotated it downward and well, you
know that part, the actual RA shackle mount
points were not used, do to they did not have
any shackles there at the time of said incident...

Neither here nor there for this thread I guess,
both are kool looking bumpers... :D...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Taking the practical approach - both bumpers accommodate a winch. Then you have to decide beyond the winch aspect, do I want looks (tho both are great looking) or protection. Moose, elk, and deer litter the highways where I live so my decision would be decidedly in the direction of the RA if stuck choosing between the two. I think Demello's bumpers are awesome, but I need a bumper for more than winching... What do you need?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts