Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just trying to get a handle on who has already placed a deposit on the new FJ

Personally, I have placed a deposit. If it comes in and I like what I see then I'll buy it. If it isn't what I am looking for then I will probably buy a new Runner

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only reason i've yet to place a deposit on an FJ as of yet is because I have to many cars right now and I honestly can't afford to allow a dealership to generate interest off of my deposit while I can allow the money to stay in my account and generate some interest for me. I know it may not be much interest from just one deposit, but if you add up several deposits, the dealerships are making a killing just off of deposits.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bender,

All depends on the dealership. I have 2 deposits in right now, both are checks that are being held (not cashed) and are fully refundable. I think their reason behind this is it guarantees they will hear from me when the truck comes in. If it isn't what I want, no big deal, they just hand my check back to me.

My reason for 2 deposits is simply due to my spot on the list. I am first on the list at the largest dealer in my area and 3rd on the list from the dealer I would prefer to buy from. Whoever gets one spec'd the way I want it first gets my business. I would love to say that whoever makes me the best deal, but honestly these trucks will sell for MSRP for the first couple of months they are out.

Call around and see what you local dealers are doing for their FJ list.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My girlfriend's dad and I are both planning on getting one if we like what we see. So with any luck I will be able to get some SEMA tickets and we can go take a look at this little beastie in person. If we like it at SEMA, I see a couple of deposits being handed to a local dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1 G, down and done.

Refundable if I hate it, but, seriously, this thing is gonna have to really suck for me not to get it. My current ride is held together with bailing wire and glue, and there just aren't any other vehicles I'm even remotely interested in.

_shrug_

Cheers,
prat

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Personally im going to wait until the 2008s come out before I look into getting one seriously. Mostly because I am going to be overseas until then...

I'm not usually inclined to consider buying a new vehicle, but if this thing is as cool as im hoping and I end up getting one I will be driving it for a long, long time. As such I want to get EXACTLY what I want intead of hunting around forever trying to find the perfect one used somewhere. :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to rain on the deposit parade, but shady dealerships (as in 99% of all dealers) don't give a damn about deposits. The only way to insure you will get a vehicle is if you pay for it in full, sign a contract, etc. I've witnessed first hand vehicles with holds/deposits sold to someone that walked off the street and they took immediate delivery. The dealer just lies and tells the person they sold their vehicle by mistake.

I am saying deposits are worthless, but personally I will never buy a vehicle that way.

D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Topless4runner said:
Personally im going to wait until the 2008s come out before I look into getting one seriously. Mostly because I am going to be overseas until then...

I'm not usually inclined to consider buying a new vehicle, but if this thing is as cool as im hoping and I end up getting one I will be driving it for a long, long time. As such I want to get EXACTLY what I want intead of hunting around forever trying to find the perfect one used somewhere. :mad:
Smart move and for many reasons. It's hard to wait when you want a vehicle really bad, but that's what dealers want. It's best to buy one a year after they are released. No addendums, you can get a much better deal, and you can also see if there are any bugs that need to be worked out and or option/feature changes

Of course I don't know if I can wait! :eek:

D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting the first one that hits the showroom floor isn't my main concern, avoiding an addendum is. In addition to giving them a check (not cashed and will not be unless I take delivery of the FJ) I have a signed contract. The contract has a couple of important provisions:

1) The dealer can not charge me in excess of MSRP.
2) No add-ons are to added to my truck without permission (wheel locks, pin stripes, etc...),
3) That I have right of first refusal on all FJ's that are received by this dealer until the arrival of my order.
4) The deposit check will not be cashed until I take delivery of a truck and if I decide to walk away at anytime the uncashed check will be returned to me.

I am not saying this is the norm for all dealers BUT, I feel comfortable that I am getting what I want out of this.

-Granger

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi All!

1st post, found this forum thru autospies.com. So happy to find this because i have been lurking around some other forums but always annoyed by many anti-fj threads so i never bother signing up at those forums ;)

Anyways, i placed a $500 deposit back in Feb right after Toyota announced the go ahead at the Chicago auto show. It is refundable if i don't want it for any reason. I am getting it @ msrp, no mark-up :) no discount :(

Also, according to my salesman, pricing & options should be available around Dec and that's when i need to go in and order/spec the car. ETA is still early 2006, he is guessing Feb/Mar.

Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm definately going to wait until I actually see one before I give Toyota a no-interest loan of any amount. Since I'm missing out on SEMA I have no idea when that might be...but I got my fingers crossed.
I'm not sure where you guys live but I asked several dealers here in Houston some basic info. on the FJ and they all pretty much smacked me on my head and told me to run off and play. I think they get offended because they don't know squat about the car so they try to brush you off. You'd figure one of these guys would be trying to look me in for a guaranteed sale.

When you guys are saying addendums...what exactly are you referring to?

Let's just say I am new to the whole buying a car in advance/deposit/uninformed salesmen portion of my life. I'd appreciate it if Granger could negotiate things for us. I mean it sounds like he has his Toyota dealership locked down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
csherrill,

addendums means dealer mark-ups over msrp or add-ons like granger was referring to. whenever you have a car with demand more than supply, most dealers will make the extra bucks. but if you shop around or willing to drive a bit, you can always find a dealer that does not mark-up. i am in Southern California and i know of one. if you are close enough, i'll be more than happy to point you the right direction.

For anyone not willing to pay over msrp, i think the key is to put the deposit now before its out. once the fj is out on the road, i think it will be very hot and it will be selling over msrp. think of it like the prius when it first came out, dealers can't even keep them in stock because as soon as it arrives, it either pre-sold or sold within hours. and like the prius, i think most dealers will mark them up $5k~$8k :eek:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
csherrill said:
Let's just say I am new to the whole buying a car in advance/deposit/uninformed salesmen portion of my life. I'd appreciate it if Granger could negotiate things for us. I mean it sounds like he has his Toyota dealership locked down.

csherrill,

Part of it was that when I talked to the dealerships for the first time I asked to speak to the sales manager right from the start. I explained what I wanted (FJ, estimated trim level, etc...) and asked about the items that I listed above. As I mentioned before, I have 2 deposits placed right now. One is a CC that they will not run and the other is a check that they will not cash. There is a dealer close by that I had planned on going with but they would not work with me on these items so I looked elsewhere.

As FJSmurf said, shop around and talk to different dealers. You'll find one who will give you what you want.

Good luck,
Granger

I live in MD so if you decide to buy one from a dealer up here I can set you up with one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts