Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've gone and pulled the trigger on a 2016 Australian FJ in Sandstorm with the intention of making it a daily driver that'll be taken up north for the occasional expedition and semi regular local outings. This pretty much rules out mud tyres and a ridiculous lift however most other items will be considered.

The dealership had a 2" old man emu lift, rock rails, and ARB deluxe front bar fitted. Being a 2016 it comes stock with A-TRAC, rear diff lock, crawl control and long range auxiliary tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So first thing was breathers for rear diff and e-locker. Had a trip planned up Moore river which was going to be a fairly damp experience. Not snorkel territory, but definitely above the axles. I haven't got around to doing the front two yet for the transmission and front diff but I don't think the water was high enough to bother them anyway. The rear two fitted up where the factory jack is stored in the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fitted rear antenna hinge mount for high gain antenna for my mobile phone cradle (not yet fitted). Also threw a bonnet blackout on and made up some simple shelves for the back. Somewhere easy to stash the recovery gear and compressor etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next on the list was some electrical items to tick off. I fitted a tire pressure monitor display into the roof console. Not really sure this was totally necessary but I liked it so in it went. Spotlights went in too. I also started making up a little power centre for the back. It's made out of black acrylic and fits nicely into the existing storage compartment. It has a 240VAC outlet on the right wired up to a 600W inverter that sits behind the panel. The middle has a dual battery voltage readout with test button. I still need to fit the captive Anderson socket onto the panel on the left for the fridge. I've wired the panel to the engine bay but yet to fit the second battery tray. The inverter is switched on from the front. I used the switch wire from the subwoofer loom to hook into the centre console switch panel and back to a relay on the inverter. While I was there I put in a proper switch for the ARB driving lights, a switch for the new spotlights I had just installed, some more USB power and a camera bypass switch so I could activate the camera without the car in reverse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next up was a two way and bull bar mounted antenna for the dunes I'll be tackling in coming months, and some under body insurance. Unfortunately all the good stuff is in the States so I didn't have much choice regarding bash plates. The tyranny of distance remains a constant inconvenience. I'm really keen to get the expedition one bumper so I may throw something else in the consignment when I get round to ordering it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! You sure don't waste any time with the mods. Nice work and welcome aboard!

Cheers mate :cheers: Yeah I've had to make a rule that I can't buy new items until I've installed all the existing bits that I've acquired. Having said that I'm not 100% at following my own rules :jester: I've still got the DCDC converter and second battery cradle sitting on the bench and the snorkel arrived the other day. Plus I've got new rims coming from the States.

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,673 Posts
Welcome!
For sand, don't stress too much about the bash plate - a locally built one will be fine. The most important bit is from the front bumper to the end of the sump. I've got a very beaten up 6mm locally made aluminium plate up front, which i'll replace with a 8 or 10mm version soon.
You don't need a bull bar for dunes but the ARB you have is one of the best functionally - Airbag compatible and it's designed for local conditions and wildlife, even if it is ugly as sin...
Do the rear diff lock on demand hack and also the no nannies on demand hack (all traction control off, including ABS). Both are simple, and although there is some overlap in functionality, you should do both.

·
Desert Moderator
5,673 Posts
When are you doing the CSR?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,107 Posts
Welcome.

Great choice of mods so far, look forward to seeing what’s next.

Interesting tire pressure gauge do you have any details of it as I’m sure I’m not the only curious one.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome!
For sand, don't stress too much about the bash plate - a locally built one will be fine. The most important bit is from the front bumper to the end of the sump. I've got a very beaten up 6mm locally made aluminium plate up front, which i'll replace with a 8 or 10mm version soon.
You don't need a bull bar for dunes but the ARB you have is one of the best functionally - Airbag compatible and it's designed for local conditions and wildlife, even if it is ugly as sin...
Do the rear diff lock on demand hack and also the no nannies on demand hack (all traction control off, including ABS). Both are simple, and although there is some overlap in functionality, you should do both.
When are you doing the CSR?
Thanks mate. Loving the plethora of knowledge on this forum.

The ARB one that's on at the moment is 3mm steel and goes back to the transfer case. The plate from the bull bar to the beginning of the sump plate is definitely the weak link. Looks to be only 1-1.5mm.

The bull bar was chosen for the 'roos that are always hopping out in front when travelling at speed. It seems to offer better protection than the TJM equivalent. There's a good amount of clearance between the bars and the bonnet. If money was no concern, I would have gone the Road Armour with Titan Guard. However, super expensive to get one out here and borderline illegal regarding AU bull bar laws.

I wasn't aware of said hacks but they sound super handy. I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance. It is pretty irritating how every offroad feature has a million factory interlocks involved.

When you say CSR you're referring to the Canning Stock Route? I haven't looked at any serious tracks yet until my new treads are on.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome.

Great choice of mods so far, look forward to seeing what’s next.

Interesting tire pressure gauge do you have any details of it as I’m sure I’m not the only curious one.
Cheers :cheers: Yeah it keeps me busy. The tyre pressure monitor is just an ebay china special. I'm using the external dust cap transmitters at the moment but will probably throw the internal ones in once I get some decent AT's.

Toyota U912 WF TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System+4 External Sensors LCD Display | eBay

Wireless TPMS Tire Tyre Pressure Monitor System + 4 Interior Sensors For TOYOTA | eBay

The only thing to watch with these is they only come in the 900 series style not the 800 series. So the only place it would fit is my roof console. Unless you want to cut a hole and mount it on a face plate like I've done with the battery voltage on the power centre in the back.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome. Its hard to say 2016 FJ since they were discontinued here in the states in 2014. Very nice rig. I would love a 2016 :)
Thanks :wave: They're all finished here too. 2016 was the final run. I ordered mine in July I think, delivered late September.

·
Desert Moderator
5,673 Posts
Thanks mate. Loving the plethora of knowledge on this forum.

The ARB one that's on at the moment is 3mm steel and goes back to the transfer case. The plate from the bull bar to the beginning of the sump plate is definitely the weak link. Looks to be only 1-1.5mm.

The bull bar was chosen for the 'roos that are always hopping out in front when travelling at speed. It seems to offer better protection than the TJM equivalent. There's a good amount of clearance between the bars and the bonnet. If money was no concern, I would have gone the Road Armour with Titan Guard. However, super expensive to get one out here and borderline illegal regarding AU bull bar laws.

I wasn't aware of said hacks but they sound super handy. I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance. It is pretty irritating how every offroad feature has a million factory interlocks involved.

When you say CSR you're referring to the Canning Stock Route? I haven't looked at any serious tracks yet until my new treads are on.
Yes - by CSR I meant Canning Stock Route - It looks great, but TBH, so does most of WA...

Here's the mods I mentioned:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/34823-rear-diff-lok-demand-hack.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/72988-disable-vsc-abs-question.html#post1183262

You could do both in about an hour, but buy a switch from ch4x4.com for the ABS one first.
The early model FJCs didn't have a VSC cancel option at all - I guess to stop lawsuits from idiots - I guess that's the same rationale for not being able to cancel ABS unless you're in 4LL with the rear diff locked.
The beauty of these mods is that they are instantly on or off, so I hit the ABS/VSC/TRC button just before I leave the black stuff, and all is good. No need to stop etc, and when returning to the black stuff, I don't have to reboot the car to get it all working again (which is what you have to do with the master cylinder unplug/switch hack), and ATRAC still works (unlike the master cylinder or fuse based hacks).

Good luck, & have fun!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,107 Posts
Cheers :cheers: Yeah it keeps me busy. The tyre pressure monitor is just an ebay china special. I'm using the external dust cap transmitters at the moment but will probably throw the internal ones in once I get some decent AT's.

Toyota U912 WF TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System+4 External Sensors LCD Display | eBay

Wireless TPMS Tire Tyre Pressure Monitor System + 4 Interior Sensors For TOYOTA | eBay

The only thing to watch with these is they only come in the 900 series style not the 800 series. So the only place it would fit is my roof console. Unless you want to cut a hole and mount it on a face plate like I've done with the battery voltage on the power centre in the back.
Thanks. On my watch list, might try the internal when I swap tires.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Righto. Power panel is complete. Now has captive Anderson socket for the fridge (when I eventually get that). Also threw in a 10000μF capacitor to filter any unwanted noise on the fridge circuit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Battery cradle installed. Was more painful than I had anticipated as the unit was "made for the FJ" but only approximately. Much adjusting and carry on required. The clearances for the power steering reservoir are very close. In hindsight I'd have relocated it to adjacent the firewall. Anyway, done now. Also made up some little mounts for my CB's. I'm probably going to mount the DCDC high on top of the air filter and strap the loom in with the existing one coming off the various intake sensors. Should still be able to replace the filter no problems.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 83 Posts