Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
the ARB ... is ugly as sin...
Well that's sort of rude.

Thanks for posting your build. It's nice to see the FJC with a little longer life span on the market than in the US. The roof console with the map lights is cool. That's one thing I would have liked on my FJC that was not available, at least OEM, during the lifespan of the FJC here. That, and Aux fuel tank, though I did pick up an Australian (LRA) tank in the aftermarket.

Reactions: 101Firedog

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for posting your build. It's nice to see the FJC with a little longer life span on the market than in the US. The roof console with the map lights is cool. That's one thing I would have liked on my FJC that was not available, at least OEM, during the lifespan of the FJC here. That, and Aux fuel tank, though I did pick up an Australian (LRA) tank in the aftermarket.
I've never really posted much before, but this forum is such a wealth of inspiration I felt like I should contribute, even if my build is relatively tame :nerd The roof console and the long range tank are both handy. I'd have definitely put the aux fuel tank in if it hadn't come with it already. I just wish it were even bigger. There are quite a few places out in the sticks that only sell diesel.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The dual battery is in... finally. I chose a deep cycle battery (80ah) for the auxiliary. So much screwing around with the cradle :frown I had to make a custom nut for the back side due to the clearances being so tight and trim and slot the tie down bar. I guess I'll see how it goes. Messy install due to work stealing all my time so I'll probably have to revisit the wiring at some point.

Projecta IDC25 is the DCDC converter I used to control the charging. It's supposed to be good for 80'C/176'F but that may also be optimistic. I haven't hooked up the solar input on it yet but I'll probably send that to an Anderson plug somewhere convenient.

New wheels arriving in two weeks so the factory silver will be gone. Slightly bigger tyres too. 285 most likely, wrapped in an A/T that's not too noisy. The new MT Deegan 38 AT's look interesting but fairly pricey too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got around to installing the new cradle. It's a Strike Alpha cradle with passive antenna connection and USB power for S7 Edge. Much better than the generic one I was using before. Provides a really stable platform and doesn't suffer off-road like the previous one. Fixed using the double sided foam adhesive provided in the kit.

Attachments

Reactions: amaclach

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New rims arrived on Friday. Utterly glorious :grin Black Rhino, Armory in "desert sand" 18x9.5. Pleased with the look, however, the colour is a shade or two off so I'm painting them tomorrow with factory 2 pack "Sandstorm" (4V6). The dealer forgot to ship the 5th wheel which is moderately irritating. I'll have to wait until Jan for the complete set.

Trying to decide between BFG KO2, MT Deegan 38 AT, Falken AT3W, and Yoko G015. Unfortunately Nitto are party poopers and don't sell Terra Grapplers in 285/65r18 down under.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Those rims look tough! Can't wait to see what they look like mounted.

I know it's killing me not having them on yet. To make matters worse I'm heading back to my folks farm for Xmas tomorrow so I probably wont have them on until the new year :crying

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Painting is almost complete. Looking at them with the tape still covering the grub screws and bolts makes me wonder if I should just colour code the whole rim the same.

Before and after shot attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Jigger

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I really like your rim selection

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'd leave them black if they were mine..they just look so beefy with that contrast.
You know I've been thinking it over and I reckon you're right. I'll leave them black and try them out for a while before making any changes :nerd

I really like your rim selection
Cheers mate. I think they'll suit the desert theme. Certainly nothing like these around in Oz.

Reactions: FatJohnson

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Offroad Garage snorkel installed. What an absolute PITA. There is a lot of fine tuning and quite a bit of internal cutting required to make this thing fit. Also I think the manufacturing variations between FJs are enough that it adds a whole host of other variables into the mix. It took me about 7 hrs to get it in. If I had another go at it I'd have done it over 2 days and manufactured some better brackets etc. Particularly the roof bracket. Also the two screws that hold the top section to the fender tube are troublesome depending of where you end up drilling your pilot holes. I would have liked to put some Plus Nut Nutserts in rather screwing straight into the fibreglass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To mount the inner tube I nutserted and screwed the lower bracket into a factory drilled hole. Perfect for M6. The top I did the same as @Loganbeere (whose install post was hugely helpful :cheers:) and bent one up to match up with a factory bolt. I also ended up screwing the middle top of the fender (where you have to remove the factory bracket) into the the fender tube top mounting block with a rubber bushing between the two. Radio antenna was attached and appears to work fine. Haven't tried it out of the city yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I haven't been out to take some proper shots of the finished product yet but here is a few from the car park.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The FM antenna (piece of wire) built into the snorkel isn't as good as the OEM, which I guess isn't that surprising. I've installed a high gain bull bar mounted one. Although now it's got me thinking maybe replace the factory head unit with something that runs android so I can use google maps and torque pro etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
The FM antenna (piece of wire) built into the snorkel isn't as good as the OEM, which I guess isn't that surprising. I've installed a high gain bull bar mounted one. Although now it's got me thinking maybe replace the factory head unit with something that runs android so I can use google maps and torque pro etc.
Nice work. I don't listen to the radio so I had them make me my snorkel without the antenna hole and I just hid the antenna bracket in the fender. The carjoying android head units are not bad but none of the android units do google maps well. From what I have seen, the colors are washed out on google maps and hard to see. Google maps works better on the phone or iPad.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nice work on the build so far! :)

Reactions: GypsyHighPants
21 - 40 of 84 Posts