Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I really like the direction you are going with this build. The rims turned out great. But the steering wheels on the wrong side :>).

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I really like the direction you are going with this build. The rims turned out great. But the steering wheels on the wrong side :>).
So far so good. If you stand upside down it's on the left :wink When I was driving in the US a few years ago I didn't mind the alternate view, although it did take my brain a little to adjust when I got home.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Not much spare time at the moment but I did make up a cover out of a stainless steel container for the reversing camera.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Time for new shelves. Incorporating a drawer and a fridge this time for convenience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Recovery gear/compressor in the back of the drawer. Red case at the front has the camp kitchen, sans gas burner, ready to grab out. Holster on the left for various antenna when they're not in use around town. All that's missing is the latch for the drawer. Another item on the to do list :|

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Next item on the agenda is the recovery tracks. I mounted them using flat bar bolted to the spare tyre holder. I covered them in glue lined heat shrink to alleviate any rubbing issues. This allows the mounts to stay in place while the tyre is changed. The reversing camera vision isn't impeded where the boards are mounted either. I included an adjustable clasp for a strap at the top for extra support but the mounting was really solid as is. It grabs the tyre firmly when the boards are on. The strap has been useful for tying down firewood to the top of the spare.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Good job on the drawer! That's a fridge drawer on the right? Never seen one of those before.
:cheers: Yeah the fridge is a Dometic CD30 drawer fridge. Engel make one too. Both are 30lt which is on the small side but either fit perfectly with the back seats still in position which was one of my requirements.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The rear interior light is no good for looking in the fridge it seems. Especially when fully loaded. The fridge doesn't come with a light either so I've added one. Gave me an opportunity to add a couple of 12V merit sockets for camp power too. The light is activated automatically by a reed switch and magnet but also has an override switch if you want to use it with the fridge closed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Ad hoc cargo barrier. Made out of flat bar and motorbike restraints. I'll redo this when I have time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Finally had an opportunity to test the setup with a decent expedition back in July :grin No mechanical issues and no flat tyres.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Quite a few river bed crossings and mountain trails added to the fun. No water unfortunately, even though it was the dead of winter while we were en route.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Met up with some friends at the halfway mark for a few days in the Flinders Ranges, then back across the Nullarbor. I noticed transmission pan temps rising quite a bit in the steep climbs. Not out of control high but it was winter and ambient was low. I think a transmission cooler will be my next piece of kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Added a slide out bench and a simple latch to tame the drawer's irritating auto eject feature.

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,803 Posts
:cheers: Yeah the fridge is a Dometic CD30 drawer fridge. Engel make one too. Both are 30lt which is on the small side but either fit perfectly with the back seats still in position which was one of my requirements.
I like the idea of the drawer fridge because of space. Have you had any issues with the seal on it/keeping closed?
Where did you mount the compressor unit? I assume behind the fridge - any issues with heat there or airflow?
Why did you pick the Dometic over the Engel?
Any regrets on the drawer fridge?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Met up with some friends at the halfway mark for a few days in the Flinders Ranges, then back across the Nullarbor. I noticed transmission pan temps rising quite a bit in the steep climbs. Not out of control high but it was winter and ambient was low. I think a transmission cooler will be my next piece of kit.
Those cliffs are stunning. Where are they located? Did you throw any rocks from the cliffs? :grin I always have to throw a rock from places like that (so long as it is safe).

·
Desert Moderator
5,803 Posts
Those cliffs are stunning. Where are they located? Did you throw any rocks from the cliffs? :grin I always have to throw a rock from places like that (so long as it is safe).
I could be wrong but that looks like its along the Nullarbor...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I like the idea of the drawer fridge because of space. Have you had any issues with the seal on it/keeping closed?
Where did you mount the compressor unit? I assume behind the fridge - any issues with heat there or airflow?
Why did you pick the Dometic over the Engel?
Any regrets on the drawer fridge?
The compressor is still bolted to the back of the fridge. It can be bolted to the side or remotely mounted but the fit was perfect for the FJ the way it was. I haven't had any issues with airflow or heat yet. The fridge is only set to half and seems to be about right.

The Engel was slightly heavier, more expensive and has only the one latch at the top of the drawer which I thought might be an issue with sealing. The Dometic has two either side and seals really tight. No issues on that front as yet. It's been super useful and no regrets. I leave it installed in the car permanently which has been handy for food shopping on hot days as well as the camping. The only two things that bother me is the temperature control dial sticks out into the drawer, limiting useful space, and the back of the drawer isn't full height. I've already remedied the back of the drawer with a plastic extension to prevent things disappearing behind. I may think about relocating the dial fixture at some point.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts