Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my friends of the blue room! If you knew me, you know I'm really nerdy when it comes to my FJ. I switched to my 3rd long travel IFS setup earlier this year. You can see my detailed write-ups on the first 2 sets here:
Total Chaos +2 Long Travel Review
Camburg +3.5 Long Travel Review

I switched to Dirt King +3.5 kit. You might wonder is that really necessary? What do I gain going to another +3.5 kit?

This time, I made a whole video going through all the little but critical details to show what differences there were and why I made the change. If you are considering getting long travel front suspension, you will enjoy this video and learn something you won't find elsewhere.

If this video is helpful to you, I would kindly ask for the YouTuber cliché: LIKE and SUBSCRIBE:LOL: It makes a difference to help me grow this YouTube channel and be able to do more technical reviews just like this one.

Enjoy the video!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Fantastic video and comparison. Loved the detail you went into for both set ups. Would love to see a comparison of stock vs long travel etc.

Subscribed bro! Well done!

Mike

·
Registered
898 Posts
Great video Kai! I like how you pointed out that the alignment effects overall travel numbers. Dirt King makes great products and has great service. You’ll be super happy with their kit....so how soon until you review the vertical uniball kits?!

Also if my memory serves me correct, I thought you were supposed to cut off the steering stops from the lower spindle mount?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great video Kai! I like how you pointed out that the alignment effects overall travel numbers. Dirt King makes great products and has great service. You’ll be super happy with their kit....so how soon until you review the vertical uniball kits?!

Also if my memory serves me correct, I thought you were supposed to cut off the steering stops from the lower spindle mount?
Thanks! Haha i don't think i will go so far to vertical uniball kits lol. But i'm very curious about them. How is yours working out so far? Can your 934 CV joints keep up with that travel? Also do you take a hit on steering angle?

And yeah Dirt King's instruction says to cut that off. But in my suspension cycling i didn't see it make contact with things. So i left them on.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks! Haha i don't think i will go so far to vertical uniball kits lol. But i'm very curious about them. How is yours working out so far? Can your 934 CV joints keep up with that travel? Also do you take a hit on steering angle?

And yeah Dirt King's instruction says to cut that off. But in my suspension cycling i didn't see it make contact with things. So i left them on.
Yeah the 934’s have more to give than I can use. I run out of coil over travel before the axles bind. I have taken a hit on steering angle, but I don’t think it’s due to the vertical uniball arrangement. I think it’s more related to moving the tie rod connection so far forward While the rack position doesn’t change. I have the adjustable lower control arm mounts and the lower control arms are .75” forward from stock. This would be on top of whatever additional caster was built into my kit. The uniballs look like they have more to give. Someday I hope JD Fab has Their rack reinforcement kit available for the FJ. It has an adjustable inner tie rod position that can keep up with the change in spindle position.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the 934’s have more to give than I can use. I run out of coil over travel before the axles bind. I have taken a hit on steering angle, but I don’t think it’s due to the vertical uniball arrangement. I think it’s more related to moving the tie rod connection so far forward While the rack position doesn’t change. I have the adjustable lower control arm mounts and the lower control arms are .75” forward from stock. This would be on top of whatever additional caster was built into my kit. The uniballs look like they have more to give. Someday I hope JD Fab has Their rack reinforcement kit available for the FJ. It has an adjustable inner tie rod position that can keep up with the change in spindle position.
Got ya. That's some nice results. Very unique and advanced setup. Look forward to see more updates on your build thread!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dude that bumper is sick.... you make that?
Yes sir! Here is my forum writeup back in 2017. It was just a one off custom design for myself Tinkerer's Custom Front Bumper Design

But I started my design studio last year. The one in the video was the latest revised design for small productions. Check out tinkererdesign.com if you're interested!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts