Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first day for the "General Public" at the Detroit NAIAS.

I got up early and drove nearly 100 miles to find that the FJ's were now off limits and roped off!! The Toyota rps said that they were getting trashed and damaged, stuff stolen off them, so locked and roped them for the general show. This all was done on the press and manufactures days!

I really wanted to sit in it and see how it fit. Not trash it and steal. I'm happy I got the see them in person for the first time, but disappointed that I could not answer the few question I still have about how it felt inside. I was able to fondle an Xterra and H3!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is lame! Every car gets trashed at an auto show! Like toyota cannot afford having to replace a shifter knob and new wax job.

·
Registered
180 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
damn the tailight in those pictures look hideous, look how far they stick out
The reason those taillights stick out so far is that they contain the side marker light require for the U.S. market. By including them in the rear light casing, it saves Toyota from adding that extra side marker. Imagine that if they build say 20,000 cars, they'd have to plan for an additional die tool to punch the rear fender (front one too,) provide a separate set of wires, socket, plastic lens, on both sides. Now multiply that by 20,000 and you see why the FJ's price remains reasonnable. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
FJ Colors at the Detroit Show

rsa said:
:eek: Sorry to hear that. You and a few other hardcores were shafted royally. Hope that didn't put a damper on the whole trip. :(

Thanks for the cool pic, though. What did you think of the colors, seeing them in person? Is the Titanium Metallic any less anonymous in person? Do you think the Voodoo Blue will stand the test of time as an attractive color?

Stewart
Hey Stewart,
I saw two 'live' FJCs at the LA auto show this week. One Voodoo Blue and one Silver + the Silver prototype. In my opinion, the blue will get tired fast and will be reminiscent of "the First Year FJ". I think we'll see a lot of them because they will sell first and fast. The silver is not a "macho" off-road color but it give it a nice Toyota finish look. Folks claim that scratches will show less than any other color. Granted, but off-roading a silver metallic vehicle? Just not sure about that. I hear through this forum that the Black Cherry is only for 2WD. My personal choice so far is for Yello, but I'd paint the roof in yellow as in my little thumbnail. It's somewhere in the members gallery too ;) .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: FJ Colors at the Detroit Show

Old FJ40'er said:
Hey Stewart,
I saw two 'live' FJCs at the LA auto show this week. One Voodoo Blue and one Silver + the Silver prototype. In my opinion, the blue will get tired fast and will be reminiscent of "the First Year FJ". I think we'll see a lot of them because they will sell first and fast. The silver is not a "macho" off-road color but it give it a nice Toyota finish look. Folks claim that scratches will show less than any other color. Granted, but off-roading a silver metallic vehicle? Just not sure about that. I hear through this forum that the Black Cherry is only for 2WD. My personal choice so far is for Yello, but I'd paint the roof in yellow as in my little thumbnail. It's somewhere in the members gallery too ;) .
Based on the colors i think i'm definitely going to have to wait and see what the new tundra looks like

·
Registered
44 Posts
Toyota roped it off eh? Sad. Now, if it was a MB or Bentley costing much more, it'd make sense. This tragedy...not so much. Shame really.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: FJ Colors at the Detroit Show

rsa said:
Thanks for your inpressions.

In addition to red and white, the 1990 Miata sported a darn near identical color to the Voodoo Blue called Mariner Blue. Of the three colors, Mariner Blue may have best stood the test of time. Today, Mariner Blue Miatas are special. That may have something to do with the fact that fewer Mariner Blues were produced (than reds or whites). I'm not sure that enduring quality will transfer to the FJC or not, especially if Toyota flood the (small) market with Voodoo Blue FJC's. Of course, comparing the appeal of the same color on a small sports car to an off-roader may not be valid either. :)

Dupont prepares a yearly "Global Color Popularity Report" and breaks out NA Light Trucks and SUV's. You can't track all colors year-to-year since their groupings change, but white is always #1 (due to commercial sales) and silver is historically #2. Dupont's 2005 report is here and has quite a bit of commentary. In it they report:

Code:
            [b]Light Truck/SUV[/b]

[u]Rank[/u]   [u]Color[/u]              [u]2005[/u]   [u]2004[/u]

1     White/White Pearl  21%    20%
 2     Gray               17%    10%
 3     Silver             16%    16%
 4     Blue               12%    12%
 5     Red                11%    14%
 6     Black              10%    12%
 7     Light Brown         7%     9%
 8     Green               4%     5%
 9     Yellow/Orange       1%     1%
10     Others              1%     1%
Stewart

PS: Sorry for the hijack, t5gt. :)
Nice work RSA!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hopping the situation will not be the same for Montreal Auto show next week. I want to see my new car closer...

I can imagine the car comportment because I own a 4runner 03' and it's the same plate-form but still want to see it ASAP...

I will post some photo if something new is presented in the show

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me too. Could not believe they were all locked up. Wanted to make some measurements inside. Could barely see inside them. Better put in your order though. They were getting a lot of attention. Ill take the FJ over the H3 or Xterra.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rsa said:
:eek: Sorry to hear that. You and a few other hardcores were shafted royally. Hope that didn't put a damper on the whole trip. :(

Thanks for the cool pic, though. What did you think of the colors, seeing them in person? Is the Titanium Metallic any less anonymous in person? Do you think the Voodoo Blue will stand the test of time as an attractive color?

Stewart
My impressions seeing it or the first time: Better looking in person but a tad smaller than I in-visioned. Some of the things a thought were cheesy in photos looked better on person, like the lights on mirrors, dash, gauges on dash. From looking through the window!!!

Colors are a personal thing. I was set on Silver before. I owned a Chrome Yellow Mustang, If you want attention get yellow. After seeing them I would say the blue and yellow look pretty sharp. The silver is even more understated than I first thought. They removed the black one, did not see it in person, but in photos looked like a police cruiser to me. The Red/Purple one was not there either. I think I'm still sticking w/silver it looks a little larger, and won't show dirt and scratches as much. The blue and yellow are cool if you want to stand out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts