Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developing "The Boontoolies."

Welcome to my build thread as we develop our 2010 FJ hereby known as "The Boontoolies."

(Constantly evolving)
*Things that have my interest*

• Blue Sea 7635 LINK for single battery Low Voltage disconnect.
    Blue Sea 7622 LINK for dual Battery connection/isolation and charging.
    Blue Sea 7700 LINK for winch system disconnect
    NATO style Fuel Can holders LINK

.....So without further ado.....Some before pics.

Purchased November 2013 with 32,000 miles. Here are some obligatory shots of us trying things out in all it's OEM glory.

Stock Cooper M+S aired down to 8psi held their own as we spent the day wheeling up toward Raven's Roost with GRMREPR near Naches, WA.

And then a day trying things out down some seasonal and unmaintained county roads.

Followed by some Urban wheeling just to see the OEM flex.

So now that we have taken some time to get to know our FJ a little better, it is time to save, spend, save more, and spend more while we develop The Boontoolies into our version of a comfortable and versatile over landing rig.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Developing "The Boontoolies."

Reserved: Post #2 displays the most current status of The Boontoolies.

Current Mods:

• 270A Alternator upgrade from DC Power Inc.
    Big 3 battery upgrade with Ancor 1/0awg cables.
    BatteriesPlus sli31agmdpm Marine dual pirpose battery
    Expedition One rear bumper with tire carrier, Powder coated, PIA 530 LED Floods, Hi-Lift Jack carrier, and camera mount.
    RCI skids
    RadFlo 2.5 Coil-Over Front Shocks
    Front differential drop kit
    RadFlo 2.5 Remote Res rear shock
    FJToymanOffRoad shock armor plus Stainless bolt bumpers
    Icon Overland series 3" rear coils
    Total Chaos upper control arms
    Stealth Custom Series SR8 16x8 4.00" Backspace / -12mm offset
    Firestone Destination MT LT285/75/R16 - siped center tread
    Body Mount Chop
    MetalTech Front Tube bumper with Comeup DV9s winch + Factor 55 Flatlink
    MetalTech Offset Rear Lower Links
    Warrior Low Platform Roof Rack with Hi-Lift Jack mount
    Custom Washer Bottle Reservoir designed by forum member lzalusky and sponsored by Shrockworks.
    Custom Exterior Graphics from The Spokane Shop
    Ellis Precision Shift knobs + Ebrake
    Ellis Precision climate control knobs
    Ellis Precision Grab Handles
    Alpine INE-W927HD -7" Audio/Video/Navigation System
    JL Audio C5-653 Three way component speakers
    Golf Echo A-pillars for mids and tweeters
    JL Audio 12-TW3-D4 subwoofer with custom built box.
    JL Audio RD-900/5 amplifier custom mounted on top of the Subwoofer box.
    Midland 75-822 CB (Thank you FJZilla)
    4' Wilson Flex CB Antenna + Bandi mount + Quick Release (Thank you Vegas_Nick)
    Rugged Ridge floor liners
    Driver/Passenger 20% non-metallic window tint
    Grill Bezel painted OEM Iceberg White from AutoTouchUp.com
    Lifetime LED High Output Headlamps
    Diode Dynamics LED Tail, Brake, Turn, Backup, Mirror, License lights.
    ARB 50qt. Refrigerator w/wiring harness and extended length drawer slide.
Recovery Gear:

• Comeup DV-9s winch w/Factor55 Flatlink
    Set of 4 Black Maxtrax with security mounts via SouthEast Overland.
    Pull Pal
    Factor 55 Hitchlink
    TJM 4.75t 19mm (3/4") Forged Shackles
    ARB 17,500lb Recovery Snatch Strap
    ARB 6' 26,500lb Tree Saver
    ARB 20,000lb working load Snatch Block
    ARB Recovery Damper
    Hi-Lift Extreme 48"
    VIAIR 400P Portable Air Compressor
    Rud Grip-4x4 Snow/ice tire chains

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acknowledged that there is some great advice on suggested first items to upgrading your FJ. Without disregard for that advice, our approach is giving financial consideration to those items that might be on sale or part of a group buy discount. Lucky for us, Warrior developed their Low Profile roof rack and so we took advantage of PureFJ's group buy for this addition. Thank you PureFJ and Warrior. :bigthumb:

Install details at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/tech-articles-staging-area/259345-2x4s-tape-one-person-install-warrior-low-platform-roof-rack.html Post #2 updated.

Additional photos taken throughout the build process.

Post Radflo suspension install.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not new to over-land style travel, My wife Karen and I have been all over the USA via dual sport motorcycles. From Prudhoe Bay to Key West and all around the perimeter of the United States, we have ventured together in 'most' all of the states with a pair of BMW GS's.

On the Northern Side of Lake Michigan in 2012 on our round the USA tour.

These days we are interested in moving our over-land experience into the forest and with the added protection from the elements that a vehicle offers. This has had us both dreaming up adventures throughout the boonies everywhere. It was then that Karen started laughing at how we would be wandering around the boontoolies in the FJ. And therein lies the name "The Boontoolies" as we sat there laughing about our newfound interest and money pit..... :lol:

And with a name in hand we set about developing our FJ's graphic personality. Karen is our family photog so we sat down and started working with one of her many photos of the American Bald Eagle and chose this one to turn into a graphic.

From there we were off to The Spokane Shop to create a graphic for our FJ and add some 20% tint to the Driver/Passenger door windows.

In the shop:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks great!
Those decals on the side are pure awesome!

,Harrison

·
Premium Member
16,421 Posts
Looks nice. :wave:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Truck looks great. Nice bikes, too. Did a couple of long journeys myself on an R1100s and then a K1200s. Loved the boxer engine and the inline 4 was a beast.

Subscribed to the thread, looking forward to seeing what's next.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We upgraded the system with the Alpine INE-W927HD Stereo / Navigation unit. This is my first stereo upgrade in the last 20+ years so many thanks to ZoSoIV for taking the time to help me out. Retained all the OEM steering wheel controls and now we have the hands free cellular that I personally think should have come stock in the vehicle.

Spent some time going through the settings. Sticking with a more muted screen color for now.

Plans in the future for adding an amplifier and upgrading the speakers. Our enthusiasm for the exterior graphics moved this down the priority scale. The head unit alone gets us going in the right direction for now.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Looking good!

I've subscribed to follow your build!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like Karen and I will be down in the Silverton, Portland, Hillsboro Oregon area later this month. Bit of a spring break trip around her childhood stomping grounds.

We are taking advantage of the current group buy offer MetalTech4x4 is having on their Tube bumper + winch combo. After speaking with them (damn they are friendly!) we decided to toss some of the group buy savings back at them and let them do the install while we are in their area. 250.00 installed sounds like a deal to me and we don't have to deal with shipping this way.

Appointment set for April 24th at MetalTech4x4.com. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
nice roof rack, and stereo/nav upgrade ... you'll have to let us know how the roof rack holds up ...
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 342 Posts