Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to remove my roof rack, but need the caps to plug the holes.

Anyone recently add a rack, and have the old caps around?

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Hey Dennis...
Why are you going slick top?

I traded the original caps and then bought a brand new set off ebay just incase I ever decided to remove my rack. I don't think I ever will. You are welcome to them. I will bring them to the meeting on the 12th. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks Steve!

I'm going to try to streamline a little, and see if removing the rack will give me back the MPG's I lost with the Hankooks. Plus, to get a little better mileage on the Ouray trip.

I owe ya big time, man! Beers are on me at Riscky's...

·
Registered
47 Posts
When removing my rack I did not notice much increase in MPG. but the noise issue is a plus. Do remember to add the OEM bolts for a proper fit with covers. They are quite a bit shorter with a smaller head. Also, be careful when removing tork bolts they strip real easily.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. I dont have the bolts, just the caps.
I'm taking the FJ in for its 10K oil change tomorrow, so I'll pick up a set of OEM bolts while I'm there. Shouldn't be a major expense. If they're not available, I'll go by Turner Hardware or Elliot's, and find some that will fit (they're real hardware stores, not like Lowe's or Home Despot).

Yeah, I imagine re-using the rack bolts to fill the holes might possibly poke the headliner, due to the longer length. Thanks for the heads up, lo cal FJ...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I removed the rack a little while ago, and ended up re-using the OEM bolts. No problem with re-using them to fill the holes, as they don't even come close to contacting the headliner. The dealership was no help when it came to identifying the OEM bolts (pre-rack installation). Apparently, the parts catalog doesn't specify the bolts with certain accuracy. No problem, like I said, I just re-used the bolts from the rack.

I cleaned off the sealant that was formerly there (actually, it was like putty), then used waterproof caulk around the hole. When the bolts were re-tightened, the caulk oozed around the bolt head, so I don't think it'll leak. Once I get the white caps, the look will be complete.

Someone once mentioned that the bolts were easy to strip, but I only had one bolt that was feeling like it was doing so. I just loosened, tightened, and loosened, until that one bolt came out. Seems like when the dealership installed my rack they didn't use too much threadlocker, as the other ones came out easily.

I gotta say, the FJ sure looks different without the rack! I'll find out over the next few days whether removing it makes much difference in MPG and wind noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts