Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone!
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for a "documentation thread" if you will, so mods feel free to move this post to where it needs to be. The other car forum I'm on (R3vlimited, for my BMW E30) has a section titled "Member Rides" for such a thing. I didn't see anything like that, but thought this was close enough ¯\(ツ)

I spent some time with GB today, just poking around and looking at things, and found that one of the dash speakers is blown, so that's on my list, but FIRST order of business had to be to get rid of the angry eyes. If that's your style you do you, but making happy cars angry isn't my thing haha. Before and after for ya'

IMG_20210407_151529_294.jpg
IMG_20210407_151529_264.jpg

Much better :)

I also took out one of the washers that was on the inside of the back door for the ladder, cause the PO put 2 washers (where one worked fine -_- ) and it caused rusted little spots there. Only surface rust so far, so I'll be able to knock it off with a wire wheel and touch up paint to fix it. I put some blue **** on the bolt and closed the door, and re-opened it to make sure there was no more contact. No blue on the inside!

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
Yep, the right spot. Good going, getting started right off! :)

I'm over 5.5 years in and haven't started. Lots of catching up to do.

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the right spot. Good going, getting started right off! :)

I'm over 5.5 years in and haven't started. Lots of catching up to do.
Haha with my E30 posts on R3vlimited, sometimes I go a couple maintenance sessions without updating, and then it feels like a big chore, so I just think of updates as part of the work itself.

Previous owner took GB to the dealer for oil changes and everything, but I'm not made of money and like to do it all myself so I know how the job was done. Hence a big thread for everything from fun upgrades to "oil change today nothing fun" kind of posts.

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's A couple pics to get this thread going 🙂
Some are from the intro thread

IMG_20210406_161817426_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210406_161805573_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210406_185727.jpg
IMG_20210406_171344841_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210407_231057.jpg
IMG_20210407_233554_555.jpg

Intentional cringe pose because I don't know what to do when being photographed 😱

·
Registered
2014 FJ
12 Posts
Looks good. I have the green FJ too....did that front bumper require moving anything under the hood? washer fluid, etc....

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m considering Fuel Anza’s for my yellow FJ. Any chance you can post a direct side view? What offset are those?
I was able to identify them as those wheels yeterday, but idk the offset. I usually hate fuel wheels (black with machined edges everywhere :sick: ) but I love these wheels. I'd like a matching spare, so I'll try to measure the offset. What's the easiest way to measure that?

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good. I have the green FJ too....did that front bumper require moving anything under the hood? washer fluid, etc....
Do you mean are any of those things missing or removed for the bumper? Everything appears to be in place. You want pictures of the engine bay? If so, anything in particular?

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, first kind of real improvement: The mud flaps the previous owner installed rubbed like hell when turning all the way to the left, so I took my dremel and very carefully took off more and more until no more rub.

Here, you can see how the tire would rub and pull down on that flap when reversing.

IMG_20210408_115634412.jpg

Below is after about the first trim, when I realized I need to make more cuts because it was still rubbing ever so slightly.

IMG_20210408_120439885.jpg

Here's what it looks like after all is said and done. You can see all the pieces from going "little more...little more"
IMG_20210408_120833909.jpg

Finally, no rubbing on the driver side!
For some reason, there's no rub on the passenger side. Weird, but I'm good with that :)

IMG_20210408_120924911.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wheel offset is very typically displayed on the back of the wheel. It will be stamped or molded likely to the back of a spoke. So in one spike you'll find 17x9jj or whatever size it is, and in a different spoke you'll find et36 or et-10. That et number is offset in mm. So et36 will be a 36mm offset. Et-10 will be a negative 10mm offset. The exact nomenclature can vary a bit but you should be able to determine the offset by taking a wheel off and reading.

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wheel offset is very typically displayed on the back of the wheel. It will be stamped or molded likely to the back of a spoke. So in one spike you'll find 17x9jj or whatever size it is, and in a different spoke you'll find et36 or et-10. That et number is offset in mm. So et36 will be a 36mm offset. Et-10 will be a negative 10mm offset. The exact nomenclature can vary a bit but you should be able to determine the offset by taking a wheel off and reading.
Okay cool, I'll check tomorrow. On my E30, the wheel model and offset are on the lip, so I didn't think to look on the inside of the wheel. I'll also be posting pics tomorrow of the filth I acquired for the first time tonight ;)

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I’m considering Fuel Anza’s for my yellow FJ. Any chance you can post a direct side view? What offset are those?
Looks like offset -6.3, but discount tire's site only lists -6 on their site. I wonder if you can find other offsets from other sellers.

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got a couple goodies. First, and less important (but still valuable!) are floor mats. Got these ones off Amazon. I like how they have instructions written all over the damn things haha

Second, and more important by a mile, is an APPROPRIATE size spare! I felt like a dick driving around with the OEM size tire on the back and big 33" on GB lol

And as you can probably see in that last picture, it's a little dirty. I took GB down some dirt trails last night and had some fun 'splorin around :)
Definitely not gonna be mall crawling with GB ;)
IMG_20210409_114037701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210409_114050318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210409_122721_450.jpg

IMG_20210409_153915429_HDR.jpg

@Super Shamou sorry I never directly replied, here's a direct side shot of the front wheel. Sorry I didn't see that part of your comment asking for side shot until I got all muddy lol. Hope this helps, bud.

If the pictures are too big just let me know and I'll try adjusting them to better sizes in future posts. I played with the sizing of them in this post.
This is going to be a very picture-heavy thread, just like my favorite kinds of books 🙃

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll start off with the real improvement for right now: New front speakers! The old Memphis audio ones were blown when I got GB, so I replaced them with these Kickers. They sound pretty good so far!
Good thing about previous owner installing aftermarket speakers, these were just "slide connector off, slide connector on" easy upgrade.
God, those old speakers are so blown lmao

Now, Just a couple admiration photos :)

If you look closely, you can see Astro smiling for the camera 🙃

My father in law and I fixed the body mount chop job that the previous owner did. I'll upload pictures at a later time, but here's the driver side tire from the chop not being symmetrical and PO leaving more material on the driver side. Picture was taken from the front of GB.

We chopped off some more material for clearance, and I took a wire wheel and then some spray paint to the areas that were cut (and NOT PAINTED) before.
It's currently rainy, and GB is muddy ;) , so I'll take pics of what we did another day soon.
I found an offroad shop that said they can fab up some plates and weld them on and are familiar with these body mount chop jobs for about $170 or so. I'll get to that some day soon.

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Small victory today: I got a spacer for the spare so I don't have to worry about the spare tire rubbing on the ladder and wearing down the side wall.

That little mark above the C on the side wall is from just a week or so of rubbing. I'd really hate to ruin a $260 tire like that.
I'm not sure if it actually WOULD, but still.

Here's the spacer I got. It's the ECCP 2" spacers from amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013B35Z98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
Idk if they're super high quality or not, but since it's just for the spare tire and not being driven on, I imagine it would be perfectly fine.
It probably didn't need a full 2", but I'd rather get enough clearance the first time and not have to go back and try again.

Also, Frank says hello!

All is good now :)
Definitely didn't need the full 2" haha

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another small update: The hood struts that saved us $1k off asking price came in, and got them swapped out. Now I don't need my trimmed-down 2x4 to hold the hood up!

·
Registered
Army Green 2014
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Free-mod Tuesday: gained ground clearance by donating my steps to my wife's FJ, Frank. She values the usefulness over ground clearance, and I value the ground clearance over their usefulness.

Now my Bean looks SO MUCH higher than a stock FJ haha

and hers looks more friendly for the "normal person" experience

We want to lift Frank and get it decked out as well, but that will come later :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts