Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am about to make a deal on a used FJ Xtreme 2009. I am based out of UAE and I know for a fact that in UAE, Al Futtaim (official dealer) introduced Xtreme in 2014. The seller of the 2009 Xtreme claims he imported it from Oman.

I was searching online and did not get an official Xtreme history to confirm if 2009s also had Xtreme customization from arctic trucks. can anyone help and advise if it is a genuine Xtreme, and what to check? Apart from the stickers, I cant differentiate. It has diff lock, backing sensors and camera, seems to be lifted slightly more than a typical FJ. The owner doesnt have a purchase receipt anymore. Appreciate anyones input in helping to identify if its a Genuine xtreme version.

Regards,
KB

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Never heard of xtreme before. The steering wheel doesnt look standard, thats all I can see.

Reactions: Muvovr

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I wasn't aware of an "Xtreme" FJ anything... then I googled it and this article explains it pretty well. It looks like UAE offered it a few years prior to 2014, but only on a special order basis: Toyota FJ Cruiser Xtreme officially added to 2014 UAE line-up | Drive Arabia : Dubai / Abu Dhabi [UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman & GCC]. IMO, I'd take that "Xtreme" idea with a grain of salt and just focus on the actual modifications that were done to the vehicle. Get the specs on the suspension and any other mods the seller claims it has (although it looks bone stock with step rails to me).

Reactions: Muvovr

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Also, a car dealer buddy of mine was once telling me of the many people that'd bring their "4WD" vehicles in for trade and only get the 2WD value to their surprise... because they knew so little about their ride that they believed a sticker that read "4x4" meant that their vehicle was truly 4WD. This "Xtreme" sticker could have just as easily been slapped on the side.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I think someone just slapped the stickers on it. Doesnt look to be anything special at all. Doesnt look lifted anymore than a regular FJ either

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
The extreme sticker really doesn't mean anything.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Xtreme driven - wheels.ae Wheels magazine UAE's only English weekly motoring magazine, giving you the best car news first

This scenario is what local Toyota dealer Al-Futtaim Motors is seeking to remedy with its Xtreme version of the FJ Cruiser. Modified by Icelandic 4x4 experts Arctic Trucks, the Xtreme FJ has been available in the UAE since 2012, but it was more of a custom-order job. Now, though, it’s been officially added to Toyota’s local line-up, with all the mods approved by the dealer and hence covered under warranty. These include an uprated Fox stage 1 suspension with an overall lift of 40mm, chunkier rubbers on 16in matte-black alloy wheels, Bushwacker fender flares that allow for the extra suspension travel and a bonnet scoop to let more air into the engine bay. Then there are a few cosmetic trappings including smoked LED front indicators and taillights, front fog lamps and LED daytime running lights.

This isn't a trim level / package that's sold in the US, so most people here won't recognize it.

To the OP: take a close look at the upgrades for this truck and see if any of this ^^^ is on there. From the photos I can already tell you that the Bushwacker fender flares aren't there. It's entirely possible that somebody just bought the "Xtreme" sticker and put it on the truck.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Toyota FJ Cruiser Xtreme driven - wheels.ae Wheels magazine UAE's only English weekly motoring magazine, giving you the best car news first

This scenario is what local Toyota dealer Al-Futtaim Motors is seeking to remedy with its Xtreme version of the FJ Cruiser. Modified by Icelandic 4x4 experts Arctic Trucks, the Xtreme FJ has been available in the UAE since 2012, but it was more of a custom-order job. Now, though, it’s been officially added to Toyota’s local line-up, with all the mods approved by the dealer and hence covered under warranty. These include an uprated Fox stage 1 suspension with an overall lift of 40mm, chunkier rubbers on 16in matte-black alloy wheels, Bushwacker fender flares that allow for the extra suspension travel and a bonnet scoop to let more air into the engine bay. Then there are a few cosmetic trappings including smoked LED front indicators and taillights, front fog lamps and LED daytime running lights.

This isn't a trim level / package that's sold in the US, so most people here won't recognize it.

To the OP: take a close look at the upgrades for this truck and see if any of this ^^^ is on there. From the photos I can already tell you that the Bushwacker fender flares aren't there. It's entirely possible that somebody just bought the "Xtreme" sticker and put it on the truck.
That's cool you found that link. Not sure if the picture on the link is supposed to resemble all of the exteme models or not. but the picture by "OP" doesn't match the picture on your link. front end is completely different.
And I'm guessing that doing a search on the VIN may or may not help any.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Americans are not familiar with mod packages available overseas. With that said it seems, visually, that this particular FJ is nothing special. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't see any of the mods that are part of that Xtreme package, plus the article says that they were available starting in 2012 so I doubt that '09 has it. All of those mods with the exception of the hood scoop are readily available and easy to install so you could do all of them yourself for much cheaper than you would pay for that package.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am about to make a deal on a used FJ Xtreme 2009. I am based out of UAE and I know for a fact that in UAE, Al Futtaim (official dealer) introduced Xtreme in 2014. The seller of the 2009 Xtreme claims he imported it from Oman.

I was searching online and did not get an official Xtreme history to confirm if 2009s also had Xtreme customization from arctic trucks. can anyone help and advise if it is a genuine Xtreme, and what to check? Apart from the stickers, I cant differentiate. It has diff lock, backing sensors and camera, seems to be lifted slightly more than a typical FJ. The owner doesnt have a purchase receipt anymore. Appreciate anyones input in helping to identify if its a Genuine xtreme version.

Regards,
KB
Like everyone has said Xtreme is not a North American branding used, that said looking at this vehicle there is not one single thing about it that would make a person believe it is any kind if a Special Edition. There is not even a roof rack, standard on special edition models, no additional lighting, also it does not look to have a ride height higher then stock so no lift. No special wheel package, even the sticker and placement looks generic. Like others have said from what we can see it looks like someone has applied a sticker to a other wise stock standard FJ... One thing you could do is try running the Serial number and get the Toyita product information sheet... Other wise be skeptical.
:smile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for all your responses. I am pretty amazed how effective this forum really is.

Well I did earlier notice that new 2014 xtreme edition had bonet scoop and lifted suspensions, but I was still willing to believe that an older one might have some visual differences. However now I am kinda convinced that the Xtreme may have just been a sticker. I think I will pass on this one I guess. Thanks again for all your responses...!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
It 's good you checked, information has great value, if this FJ has everything you like maybe use your new found information to try and make a awesome deal. I would not get hung up on any if the special packages, Toyota charges a premium for the limited or Extreme models but the reality is you can add more and better accessories to most FJ models for less money spent.... Something to think about .

·
Desert Moderator
7,689 Posts
Hi Guys,

Regards,
KB
Contact Arctic Trucks directly to confirm - they are based around the corner from me in DIP, and should have records if yours is genuine: Arctic Trucks

·
Desert Moderator
7,689 Posts
The only thing "extreme" about it will be the price :wink
Actually cheaper than the top spec "regular" model. Probably because that hood scoop is hideous.

The Bushwhacker flares & hood scoop were new in '14.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts