Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in new total chaos upper a-arms. these come with bushings and a grease fitting for lubrication. Having never utilized the awesomeness that is a grease gun I asked the parts counter monkey how to use it. He said press the end on and start squeezing until you feel the resistance go up, then you're done.

So I brought everything home, filled the gun, washed my hands, added the flexible hose to the gun (should have done this first), washed my hands, filled the first bushing, washed my hands, attached to the second bushing, started pumping, and after a little bit noticed some leaking out the side. I never felt any higher resistance. I also noticed that the bushing was bulging out like the disks of a sloppy Olympic weight lifter. I of course began swearing, then washed my hands, then found a wrench and removed the grease fitting. About 13 gallons of grease then oozed out and I caught it in my hands to avoid getting it all over everything. The bushing looks like its back to the right shape, but I worry that I might have damaged it. I put the fitting back in, bounced the corner of the truck a bit and everything seems ok in the driveway.

So my question is... did I do any real damage?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Your fine now you'll never have to grease them again:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
358 Posts
:lol: I'm sorry but that's too funny.
You should be fine the excess grease will work it's way out.
The washers that butt against the bushings will hold it all together, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Oh next time just a couple of squirts of grease will do the job :lol:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You'll be just fine, but I do have to say this is kinda funny!!!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Washing your hands that much will dry them out, I suggest a pair of gloves and some shop towels.

Have you greased you drive shaft? Two pumps in the slip joints and as much as it takes to squeze a small amount of the old grease out of the joints every oil change. Put that gun to work!

I will bet that when you pulled the zerk you thought your bushings puked.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
:rofl::rofl: yup use that grease gun get under the rig and find the zerks on the driveshaft!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've been looking for a thread on this issue all day. The same thing happened to me last night. I pumped grease into the zerks last week to try and quiet the bushing noise that I constantly hear when pulling in and out of parking places. It went away and then came back this week. Thinking that I didn't grease them enough I went out last night and did the passenger side again. When I got to the driver side I about freaked. One of the front bushing looked like it was swollen and about ready to pop off the a-arm. I noticed this a little on the passenger side but did not worry as much. Total Chaos was closed today (Friday) so I contacted my local motorsports dealer where I purchased these and he told me the bushings were bulging because the old grease had nowhere to go, that I pumped too much grease into them and they somehow got sealed.

When I was pumping the grease I kept expecting to see it start pouring out between the washers (DID NOT HAPPEN).

I will be taking my UCA's apart this weekend, cleaning out all the old grease and regreasing all fittings and putting them back together. I hope this quiet's them down a bit and gets rid of the bulging. I will repost to tell of the outcome when I am done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts