Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser today (with 60k miles on it) from a local Acura dealership. This was my first time purchasing a car. I used Kelly Blue Book, with all the included options I could think of, and the price on there was $25,345 for suggested retail and $22,945 for a private party sale in excellent condition. I wasn't very confident, so I didn't haggle.

The FJ had been very well taken care of by the previous owner, so I'd consider it to be in excellent condition.

I ended up paying $21990 after a $1000 trade in (a 1994 Toyota Camry XLE with over 200k miles on it).

Here's a link to a video overview from the dealership. )I'm not sure if this type of video is allowed, since I already bought it. If it's not, I'll take it down)

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the after-market stereo/navigation system since it didn't come with a user manual for it...:confused:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
First off... welcome and congratulations on the new to you FJ.

As for the price, I don't think you got ripped off. Both Gene Reed and Rick Hendrick have comparable 2007s with around 60k on them for around the same price.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Judging by your video you have somewhat of a base model. It looks like you don't have the a-trac/locker. The upgraded FJ's came with the color coded inside door trim panel and the gauge cluster on the dash. It does look clean. How will you be using your cruiser? I don't think you got ripped off, but may have gotten a little better deal, or more options for the same money. If you what you bought makes you happy , that's all that counts .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I'm planning on mostly using it to drive around town. I'm in the Navy and am getting stationed in King's Bay, GA in a few weeks, so I'll probably be driving it around there and maybe down to Jacksonville FL every now and then. I also freedive and am hoping to be getting into kayaking and spearfishing soon, so I'm hoping to haul my gear for that. I'm actually driving it from here (Charleston, SC) to Miami, FL later this month.

I've never been offroading before, but definitely want to try.

I'm happy with my purchase. :) I've been wanting an FJ cruiser for a long time. I just finished up a 2 1/2 year training program with the Navy, which was alot of hard work, so this was kind of my reward to myself.

I did some research on the stereo, and found out that Panasonic intended to release a navigation expansion for that model, but never did. I'll probably end up having the stereo replaced, since I really dont plan on watching movies in my FJ.

Edit: The reason I was concerned was that my brother was a car salesman for a while, and thought I had gotten a bad deal based on the Edmunds pricing....

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Congrats on your reward :cheers:. I think you'll like it more and more as you drive it. If you want a really nice head unit, with nav look at the kenwoods They really are nice.
Your navy training is enlisted?
There are really nice rack attachments for kayaks, but someone will have to chime in that has more experience with the me.
Look around at the site, check out other rigs in the member build area. Just in case you decide to start getting your truck modded.
Just be careful... it's addicting :)
think about your objectives before you just start burning the numbers off your credit card
thanks
Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want a really nice head unit, with nav look at the kenwoods They really are nice.
Awesome, I'll look into that

Your navy training is enlisted?

Yeah. I just finished the nuclear power program. I started in Dec. '08. Had some medical setbacks, but stuck it out and am ready to get out to the fleet.

Thanks alot for the advice. :)

Patrick

·
Registered
318 Posts
Contests on the fj. Thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Congrats on the FJ! FJ's keep their value fairly well, so I don't think you got ripped off. I can't see which upgrade that one has but it's in excellent condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. :)

I was driving my cruiser around today, and noticed that the power lock on the driver's side door doesn't work. I'm pretty upset that the dealership didn't even mention that. It kind of irks me that I found all these issues in less than a day, but the dealership had the car for over a week...:mofo:

I have to go back to the dealership tomorrow anyway, so I was wondering if you guys think it would be reasonable to ask the dealership to pay to have the lock fixed.

Also, would it be unreasonable for me to ask to be reimbursed for the purchase and installation of a radio that has the features that were advertised in the current one, but not present. I don't care too much about the navigation aspect, but the radio has no Auxiliary input, which is a big deal for me. (I *hate* using FM radio transmitters :flame:)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! Sounds like a good deal, with used there are always little things to fix. Be safe and careful and thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Congrats! It looks like a nice rig!

Also, the aux input will be right below your (I'm dating myself here...) "cigarette" lighter port. Sorry, I can't think off the top of my head what they are calling it now...but either way, they are advertising a nav system and you either don't have it or you don't know how it works and you should be compensated or they should show you how to operate it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats! It looks like a nice rig!

Also, the aux input will be right below your (I'm dating myself here...) "cigarette" lighter port. Sorry, I can't think off the top of my head what they are calling it now...but either way, they are advertising a nav system and you either don't have it or you don't know how it works and you should be compensated or they should show you how to operate it!
Thanks,

I tried looking around the internet, but It looks like Panasonic never released the navigation add-on, so I'm SOL on that.

I found the aux audio port, but haven't been able to get it to work. the FJ owners manual says that replacing the radio can cause it to stop working, but I'll give it another go.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Judging by your video you have somewhat of a base model. It looks like you don't have the a-trac/locker. The upgraded FJ's came with the color coded inside door trim panel and the gauge cluster on the dash. It does look clean. How will you be using your cruiser? I don't think you got ripped off, but may have gotten a little better deal, or more options for the same money. If you what you bought makes you happy , that's all that counts .

I never knew that! Sheesh... I cant believe that was upgrade, I thought that was standard...huh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazingly, or not I guess, the dealership has refused to pay for either the power lock or the radio. They even tried to sell me an overpriced extended warranty.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to return my FJ and buy one elsewhere... :(

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
the extended warranty is a blessing if you intend to go wheeling. I'm very thankful I got it :rocker:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the extended warranty is a blessing if you intend to go wheeling. I'm very thankful I got it :rocker:
I'll probably get one eventually, I just couldn't afford the one they were offering.

I eventually talked them into paying for the door. I told them that It was unfair to ask me to pay for a problem that wasn't disclosed before selling it, and so they're going to foot the bill.

The radio I chalked up as a loss and got it replaced for about $200. It has a USB input, so I can charge my phone and listen at the same time. :rocker: So, I'm pretty happy how things worked out.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Congrats on the FJ. That Eclipse head unit you have looks like a pretty nice one already!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts