Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got a little impatient in my search for the perfect FJ. I’ve wanted one for years and after struggling for about a month to find the right one, I pulled the trigger on this 08 with 105k miles for $20k. I checked for rust at the dealer and it didn’t look so bad, but after further inspection I’m starting to worry (granted I know very little about cars and rust). Any opinions? Give it to me straight did I get screwed? Still enjoying and loving the FJ regardless. Just feeling a bit bummed now, is there anything I can do? Is it just the exhaust thats rusted?

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,262 Posts
From those pics it looks really clean.
Exhaust is rusty, but that's typical for exhaust. The rest of the FJ looks good to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys thats a huge relief. I have almost no experience with this stuff unfortunately so I appreciate the input, but I plan on replacing the exhaust and rust proofing it all here
soon.

·
Registered
2014 Army Green FJ
101 Posts
Thanks guys thats a huge relief. I have almost no experience with this stuff unfortunately so I appreciate the input, but I plan on replacing the exhaust and rust proofing it all here
soon.
If you are replacing the exhaust because you want to upgrade it, go for it. But dont replace it just because of the rust. Every exhaust looks like that. In fact, yours is much cleaner than most. I'll bet you've got another 10 years on that exhaust if you live in a non road-salt area.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Bad" ones look like they were submerged with the Titanic. The places to check are the frame and such but yours is really, really clean especially for an 08. If you're where they put salt on the roads in the winter or even close to the ocean (salty air, marine later, etc) then it doesn't hurt to get Krown or Fluid film applied.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That undercarriage looks great. Fluid Film it every year or two and it will stay looking great (y) And as @detroadster said above, those pictures show a better than average exhaust. You'll probably get many more years out of it. You'll soon find that there's a zillion other things to spend money on if you spend any time on this forum.

Welcome! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome.

That’s super clean and rust free. Pic 4 shows the UJs have been greased too:).

As Hannibal says loose the ‘damage multiplier’ brush guard and you’re good to go.
Ahhh so thats what that is, I was hoping someone would notice and explain. I’m new to all of this so I honestly had no idea.

I appreciate the welcomes and all of the input from you guys. Looking forward to spending more time around here and picking up on everything I can. I want to take care of it as much as possible.

Realllyy loving it so far 🤝💪

·
16,323 Posts
The brush guard is made with thin walled tubing and easily bends when pushed on. It usually causes more damage to the surrounding sheetmetal than it helps to protect. Taillight guards are the same, damage multipliers.

I can't enlarge your 1st pic, so I'll assume the chrome tubes on the sides are body mounted (not frame mounted) "steps" and offer no protection. "Sliders" mount to the frame and offer heavy duty protection.

No worries, we'll help you spend your money. :ROFLMAO:

You did real well on an '08 @105K for $20K. 1st stop, change all the fluids and start with a clean slate.

The top of every section is known as the STICKY section, it'll have a thumb tack in the threads title. Basically it's the compilation area of saved information for easy reference.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
2014 Black FJC, Blacked Out windows, badges, TT door handles, mirrors, grill,
36 Posts
Looks clean to me…. Congrats. Used car prices are threw the roof now. I would prefer to own a good used vehicle than a brand new vehicle these days. FJ’s are simple. No crazy bells or whistles. That’s why I wanted one. I don’t need all that Fancy crap they put on vehicles now days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The brush guard is made with thin walled tubing and easily bends when pushed on. It usually causes more damage to the surrounding sheetmetal than it helps to protect. Taillight guards are the same, damage multipliers.

I can't enlarge your 1st pic, so I'll assume the chrome tubes on the sides are body mounted (not frame mounted) "steps" and offer no protection. "Sliders" mount to the frame and offer heavy duty protection.

No worries, we'll help you spend your money. :ROFLMAO:

You did real well on an '08 @105K for $20K. 1st stop, change all the fluids and start with a clean slate.

The top of every section is known as the STICKY section, it'll have a thumb tack in the threads title. Basically it's the compilation area of saved information for easy reference.

Have Fun!
Appreciate the advice and resources! That youtube playlist will definitely come in handy. Would it be alright to replace the brush guard with one of these or is this also a damage multiplier:

https://arbusa.com/toyota-fj-cruiser-2007-2009/bumpers-protection-equipment/deluxe-bumpers/

I think the chrome tubes are attached to the frame I’ll post more photos, but I am replacing it with sliders as you all have suggested regardless anyways. And as for the fluids, even transmission fluids? I have almost no knowledge on engines but I really want to learn, think its too advanced for a beginner to try himself? I see that there are a lot of good resources on youtube and here about changing fluids but I also don’t want to screw anything up lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks clean to me…. Congrats. Used car prices are threw the roof now. I would prefer to own a good used vehicle than a brand new vehicle these days. FJ’s are simple. No crazy bells or whistles. That’s why I wanted one. I don’t need all that Fancy crap they put on vehicles now days.
Thanks man, I’m loving it so far. The FJ really is such a great vehicle 💪

·
16,323 Posts
IMHO, ARB and Expedition One are some of the best in the world. Exp-1 is a forum sponsor/supporting vendor. ARB's and Ironman are basically the same.

Those are body mounted "steps", no protection.

With the resources and expertise on here to guide you, DIY is the best way to learn about your new vehicle.

Here's an Exp-1 Kodiak. 1 of many different hoop designs they offer.

expedition-one-bumper-kodiak.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts