Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked in my engine and saw this hose hanging off the fire wall in the interior of engine. It's more towards the passenger side. View of this picture is taken from passenger side of car, looking in:

https://www.screencast.com/t/5wsYxTm4

I saw a little of what looks like coolant below on the frame below, but now it's gone. Coolant levels seem normal.

Anyone know what this is/was?

I've an 07 FJ Automatic 4x4. Other than that, was as base as it came back then.

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
x2

Run your A/C and see if some water drains from it.

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thank you. This makes sense now. Thank you all for posting and big thanks to the person who took the time to look at their own FJ. I appreciate it.

I had some doubts related to something maybe completely unrelated.

Heard a strange knock or rattle after running out of gas (first time that's happened in FJ). The knock is every once in a while, almost like it's in my dashboard. It doesn't get faster with RPMs and appears really sporadically. I changed oil, changed spark plugs, added tekron, just to rule out things I'd maybe do anyway, but I'm no mechanic. I'm an end user. Spark plugs is as far as it goes for me. But the noise started before my maintenance. Just after the gas runout. My wife brought some 87 octane, but I maybe had only 3/4 gallon in before I added the normal 91.

Possibly related: I recently got the P0016 code. It's been on a bit, predates the rattle. I read all I can here and looks like to get this taken care of, it's a $2K timing chain change. I don't think the rattle is chain related, because it's the same at idle as at high throttle. But what do I know? Truck runs totally smooth, even smoother now that I changed the plugs. I have a suspicion the rattle comes on after running the AC for a bit, just not sure. Today, I didn't turn on the AC and didn't hear the rattle/knock at all.

Q: how insane is it to run my engine on this P0019 code? It's runs great, I don't think I hear any timing chain rattle. I had an old 78 toyota when I was a kid and when the chain went, I remember having to replace the head too. Is it a must to go 4 figures in to get the timing chain replaced? From what I read here, not much else, beyond the slim chance of a bad sensor, is it.

Thanks to all. Wish I would have taken auto in HS instead of ceramics now. :|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.