·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

I already have the JL XR653-CSi set up front in the doors and dash...

once the second skin stuff gets here, I can start doing a bit and here and there to get it done....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the 1/0 pos and neg ran today, nothing soldered, but in place and thru the floor in the back . I didn't get pics, but I will later...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
start of 1/0 gauge wire. Just ran it - haven't soldered it up yet...

I shot the wire holders and the bolts with some undercoating, and I have the majority of the wire inside of loom , I am not wanting to take any chances with damage...

and this is whats out back, and the left over wire to be cut for the big 3 ....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the back of my back seats, where i am gonna mount my amps and crossover for my second set of components....

So I didn't wanna mount those amps on that very flimsy seat back covers, so I made this to fit in their place, which will cause both seats to move as one seat, and be solid enought to hold the weight of everything...

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then I took the dremel and cut some holes out for the 6.5"s in each side panel...Sorry no pics of the working steps, just the end result...

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

There is at least 3 layers of damplifier pro around each speaker - for a good 6-8 inches all the way around...

I went ahead and stiffened up these little panels that cover the jack, and a little storage pocket on the passenger side, - Hopefully they wont fall out from the weight I stuck on them !!!!

thats all for now...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the pics you can see now how the comps fit into the passenger area, and the are recessed into that pocket so they are in the listening area , but out of harms way.

On a more aggravating note, I had to take the dremel tool and cut a little bit of metal out of the way , I couldn't tell for sure if it was hitting or not and I didn't wanna force the panel into place to find out - and also have to pull the 6.5 out tocheck so I trimmed about a 5" long strip off of a pinch weld to give it some room. Now in the process of doing that to things happened.... First I only had one new metal cutting wheel for the dremel and it lasted about half way thru the cut. That caused me to have to go to home depot for more - and they were out, which meant head down to lowes to get some. Lowes had in them - head home finish the first one no problem. then the second thing happened on the other side - about half way thru the cut my brand new Dremel burned up its motor....:( talk about being pissed.... I wasn't even running it wide open , and As I said It has literally been used once before today.... Mutha F*cka... I am gonna take it back tomorrow and see what happens with that.

on to the pics.... sorry only finished work, due to my frustrations and trying to outrun darkness I didn't even think about grabbing the camera in the thick of it.

Oh yeah, stuck in two more layers of Damplifier pro behind the speakers, and a layer of overkill pro on top of that, then a speaker tweaker disc on each side...Love the second skin stuff.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay, I got some work done in the past two days, well all of it except the big 3 is done and tuning the system so it sounds a bit more full and lively.... I haven't even touched the adjustments and settings on the 4 channel yet, and it still sounds amazing, way way better than that kenwood 4ch. ANYWAY on to the pics...

You cant really see it all that well but those stinger HPM Level 3 wires are really sweet, and are very high quality... I like em
also the amp board I made fit to the seat backs really well, And I am still debating rather or not to cut up my factory trim panel that goes along the bottom of the seat backs to cover the few little places that you see blue paint and where the 1/0 wires come out the floor. And Yeah I have the top cover for the alpine amp, I just haven't stuck it back on there yet...

After I got the back done yesterday, I started today by pulling everything out of the front of the truck , and running new remote wires and the RCA wires from the deck... If you look on the tranny hump you will see the two big gray wires running down , those are the RCA s secured with a 3M foil tape. The Crossover boxes on the tranny hump are for my front set of 3-ways, and the mount on the back of the center console

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next I put down the luxury liner, and some more damplifier pro up high on the firewall behind the pedals , Laying the luxury liner went pretty quick , and I managed to get it up into and under the dash in places that I could not get damplifier pro , so I was happy about that... And I still have two sheets of luxury liner and a nice stack of damplifier pro to add some to my front doors....

Got all of it in. And putting the factory floor liner back in over that was a huge PITA , cause all the sudden the floor got alot thicker , but I got it all back in, and it makes on hell of a difference riding down the interstate, so much more of the tire noise and engine whine is gone, my truck is seriously quiet. I just cant wait to get some work into my front doors to finish it off.

Then I had to go over to a friends house to solder up my wires cause we have had a bizarre wind storm today, gusts up to 40 m.p.h. and I didn't even wanna try to solder in that , so off I went..

I haven't done my big three yet, I just got my system up and running, and I will get to the big 3 sometime this week.

I learned a little bit about soldering with a torch today, cause my ground wire didn't turn out to good, so I showed off my power wire..

You don't have to run the torch real hot, the smaller the flame the better, and you have to keep the wire completely level and vertical, and when you put your connector on the wire , push the connector just far enough down on the wire to fill the connector, but leave a little space so that the solder has a place to pool up after it fills in the connector and absorbs into the wire....

·
Registered
261 Posts
You got quite a bit done over the weekend-

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't all done this weekend , I posted this up on the steve meade orums first, so I just copied and pasted everything here... I made the amp board a few days ago and ran the wire the day after that. With my job I couldn't go nonstop from start to finish, so I did a bit here and a bit there, but most of it was done friday and saturday.

It sounds really good, JL makes some high quality stuff , I am quite pleased with it, And I can't say enough about second skin, it is alot of work to deaden a vehicle, but the results are dramatic and worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
HOLY SNIKIES!! and here I was so proud of myself to have installed some new "D" pillar speaker grills.:(

Great job!!:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No real reason, I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay a while back to fund this little project, and once I run my 1/0 gauge "big 3" ( + battery to alt, - battery to engine ground, - engine ground to chassis ) and tie it all together it will make more sense, and I am planning on adding another battery in back later on in the year to change up to 15" subs and a bigger sub amp, so It will be wired up to that battery then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How easy is it to take off teh plastic panels in the back? Do they just pop out like the front door trim? I want to run my own wire back there to the D-pillar speakers and possibly install 5 1/4's in the rear seat trim.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts