Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I wanted to change the look of my fender flares. I thought about just taking them off, but didnt want some of the problem areas to show and give an unfinished look. So I decided to try to basically just cut the flares down so that there is only about a 1/2inch lip on them. I also ended up having to trim a little of the sheet metal on the rear side of the rear tire so that it wouldnt be exposed like it was.

Here are a few before pics, a couple pics showing some pieces I trimmed, and some after pics.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I do believe that is the first time I've seen them trimmed that way.
Looks good, nice work...:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know if its the best way, but what i did was take a some duct tape and marked the line where i wanted to cut while the flares were on the truck. then i took them off to cut them. i'm not sure how much of a difference it made, but i made sure to put the duct tape on the part of the flare that was staying on the flare and was becoming the new edge. i did that to try to have as nice of an edge as possible because i cut them with a cutoff wheel on a grinder. i then took sandpaper to clean up the finished side and round off the square edges.

·
Registered
95 Posts
dont know if you still have the fj, but any more pics? i was debating if i should do this, couldn't find anyone who had done it before

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have you thought about removing them? I like that look a lot, this isn't bad but it may look more "finished" to just take them off all together.

Reactions: FJ in PDX

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
LOL, all I looked at was the date of the poster above me and it was the same day I posted. Guess I need to look at the original post dates before I make a suggestion. Ha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts