Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new to the forum, and very novice working with cars - looking for some help, i've read lots of forums and attempted to read the huge fj electrical pdf but that is like looking at hieroglyphics, so hoping for some help and opinions here.

FJ electrical story –

As of last weekend all electronics working as they should -

Then…..backup camera install attempt….

My intention was to power the camera by tapping into reverse light wire running across the back of the FJ under the door sill
I found what I thought was the reverse wire – red with yellow stripe, cut the housing off a ½ inch section and spliced the power and head unit input wires to it just to see if I could get the camera to turn on and show up on the head unit. I also
ran the camera’s ground wire to the undercarriage and did a shoddy job of taping it to the sub-frame (again, was just seeing if I could get power to the head unit, poor ground may the reason it didn’t work)

so none of this worked and I couldn’t get a picture into the head unit. I gave up and taped the wire that I had removed the housing on and put the door sill back on. I then went to remove the video cable for the camera from behind the head unit and I did so in a kind of lazy way. I reached back and popped the video cable free and then just kind of yanked it down and out.

I did all of this without disconnecting the battery (stupid)

So after everything was put back together, this is what is not working –

Fan will not turn on
Gauge cluster on top of dash not powered
Airbag light on in dash
Turn signals do not work, but hazards do still work
Reverse lights do not work, but brake and running lights working

What I’ve checked –
I pulled the center dash and center console completely out and made sure all connections were still plugged into each other, thinking when I pulled on the video cable I jarred something loose – everything appeared to be fine, but hard to tell
I pulled out all of the obvious fuses to check in both the interior fuse box on driver side and in the hood. No fuses appear to be blown, but I don’t have anything to check and make sure – planning to buy new fuses just to check. I've also plugged in a OBD scanner, but it found no codes.

new battery last year
new head unit installed a couple weeks prior to this

Any ideas welcomed at this point -

thank you all!

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Similar problems reported on the Tacoma forums here:

So i had this issue yesterday and bought a OBD II Scanner got P0500 Error code.

Poped some fuse that involved (IGI1 10amp Fuse).
Fuse # 32

-Which connects AC
-Speedo
-Air bag light
- Turn signals

Along with Tail light fuse which connects (#27 10 amp fuse)
- Ac control units
- fog light switch

Sounds very similar to what you're describing. I would double check the fuses to be certain.

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
837 Posts
Won't help get your car electronics working properly again, but with the backup camera, make sure the headunit you got works with the video format outputted by the camera. I know there are two or three different formats and some headunits only work with certain ones. I know this because I had the same issue with the first backup camera I bought not being compatible with the headunit I have.

Reactions: Xx_Black-out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a good call - i didn't realize there were different camera formats - i just ordered the first $15 camera i found on amazon, but now i'll do some research - thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My guess would be that the wire you stripped to get power to the camera touched the body of the vehicle and shorted out. This blew a fuse and everything else connected to the same circuit won't work until you first carefully rewrap the wire so it won't continue to short circuit, then replace the blown fuse. Replacing the fuse first will just repeatedly blow it until you fix the short.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts