Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys local to me did all of these mods? (Rear Differential breather, E-Locker breather, Transmission & Transfer Case Breathers)

My head was spinning after reading that thread! I want to do these, but I'm not really sure if I'm capable (I'm a software guy, not a mechanic!)

I'd be willing to buy you a case of beer and detail your FJ Cruiser (Wash, Claybar, Wax) in exchange for a helping hand at my house installing the aforementioned. Let me know, and I'll arrange the date.

I'll also get all the parts they mentioned in the diff breather thread so we're ready to hit the ground running.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Haha I was also reading the thread on this DIY, I want to do it also but some things just confuse me. I was going to try this either this weekend or next

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Damn! If gas wasn't $4 a gallon I'd take you up on this. This is really an easy mod!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
How many of you guys local to me did all of these mods? (Rear Differential breather, E-Locker breather, Transmission & Transfer Case Breathers)

My head was spinning after reading that thread! I want to do these, but I'm not really sure if I'm capable (I'm a software guy, not a mechanic!)

I'd be willing to buy you a case of beer and detail your FJ Cruiser (Wash, Claybar, Wax) in exchange for a helping hand at my house installing the aforementioned. Let me know, and I'll arrange the date.

I'll also get all the parts they mentioned in the diff breather thread so we're ready to hit the ground running.
You can Do it! Start with the rear Diff and Locker First!! This will give you the confidence to do the front. I'm a Friggin nuclear genetics engineer! and I was scarred to tie my shoes on my own until I was 9yrs young! Then again if you make the big Denaro's $$$. In all seriousness start a thread for a Build Day! If you drive to FL. I would take you up on the Case! :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is really not as intimidating as it may seem. Braincell also wanted to do his. The toughest part is getting your arm behind the engine to the breathers at the top of the bell housing. I lost some skin getting in there. PM me and we can schedule a time to do the MOD. This weekend is out with the great weather forecasted the family and I are going to try to get to the base of High Rock Lookout to hike to the summit, eat lunch and enjoy the awesome view on a warm sunny day. Boy, they are so few and far between.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Hey Guys,

My Dealership can do them for you @ about $175 plus tax and about 2 hours.. total time.. Maybe less.

Call Greg @ 206.366.3100 and talk to him...

We have done many of them for those who don't want to tackel it or like me can't find the time to do so...

Just a thought and all... My hands are too big to get behind the engine and all... :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Braincell has the parts list with pics included. I chose to go with Edelman plastics fittings from Carquest instead of a mix of brass and plastic like some others. I also didn't put the cute filter breather in the engine compartment. I just used the stock diff breathers and they are bundled together nicely by the master cylinder.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Once you guys get on a creeper and look at the rear diff and locker then look behind the engine at the top of the bell housing you'll see how easy it really is. The pics that are posted can seem confusing as it is hard to relate to what perspective they were taken from. It will be a good time and there is absolutely no chance of doing any damage to your rig. Between now and the MOD day remove that pretty cover that goes on top of your engine. If you have a CAI you probably already have it removed. Removal of the cover aids in getting to the rear of the engine. See you all on MOD day.

G

·
I looked today and the rear realy dose look eassy, and Rip I have the list of pats ill send them to you. I am game for any date after the 25th of May.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree w. Bennett. Start at the back, super easy mod, write up and discussion make it sound much more complication then it is, probably just due to pure volume of info. The front breathers are a little harder, but only because of access issues, technically no more difficult then the rear...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Braincell has the parts list with pics included. I chose to go with Edelman plastics fittings from Carquest instead of a mix of brass and plastic like some others. I also didn't put the cute filter breather in the engine compartment. I just used the stock diff breathers and they are bundled together nicely by the master cylinder.
That's exactly what I did too. Turned out awesome!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll bring my creeper. A creeper is probably less expensive than buying casters for your ******* creeper.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts