Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to reinstall my factory engine and front skids after installing the TyTec front diff drop. The spacers for the engine skid mounts work great, and it bolts right up. The front skid, however, hits the different mounts before the mounts + spacers hit the frame. So I've had to use 4 washers on one side and 6 on the other to increase the length of the spacer. Wouldn't be a huge issue, but now my Ricochet skids don't fit. I could add the same washers and lower the engine skid as well, but I don't want to loose that much more ground clearance. Anyone had this issue before?

I've emailed ToyTec about this and they said they've never heard of this issue and want to continue working with me on it. I'm going to take some more pictures and email them to ToyTec and I'll also post them up here.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's very similar.

My issue is that since the stock front skid hangs lower than the engine skid, and the Ricochet engine skid overlaps the stock front skid, it creates a gap between the Ricochet engine skid and stock engine skid if I try to mount it up.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sounds like a problem i had... All you can do at this point is...

a) Use Ricochet without stock skid, it works better then with it...but not recommended lol
b) Do what i did...bend back end of Ricochet bash upwards, like i did.

Not sure what else can be done at this point.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Are you sure you have your spacers in the correct location? The skid spacers Toytec provides go on the front 2 mounts of the engine skid, and the 2 rear of the bash. Ivans problem was caused by the radiator drop bracket, which is only used on the 2010 and 2011 model to my knowledge. Similar problem but different cause. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Brad, for differential drop kits, correct me if i am wrong lol... those square spacers that come with the kit.... used for the rear two mounting points of the bash and front two of the engine skid? I can`t remember. Only installed that once like a year ago on someone else`s FJ. I don`t recall skids not aligning. I could be wrong tho...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's where they need to go. rear mounts on bash plate, front mounts on the engine skid.
Yep, that's where I put them. In that very first picture you can see the big diff spacer in the middle, then the front engine spacer on the left (no washers) and the rear bash spacer on the right (washers + spacer). Engine skid fits up perfectly with the spacers, front bash hits the diff mounting points (where the big diff drop spacers were added), leaving the large gap.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are some new pictures I took and sent to ToyTec, haven't heard back from them yet. You can see in the first picture how the bash skid hits the driver's side diff mount, and how 6 washers are needed to make up the gap. You can also see behind it that the engine skid spacer fits up perfectly. ToyTec suggested my bash skid may be bent (after seeing the first round of pictures), but as I don't have another one to compare it to I really don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts