Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. After reading all the threads, sounds like it is a great idea to change out my rear diff fluid (20k miles).

Does the front need to be done as well? Anything else? I keep up with air, oil, filter, etc and have been using synth engine oil, changing every 7k.

How big of a pain is it to change the diff oil myself. The only reason I hesitate is I don't have a garage and laying on my gravel driveway in the Texas heat sounds really sucky. Might be a job for....Jiffy Lube!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Pick up one of those "G.I. foam sleeping pads/mats". I had a foam "exercise mat" for years and used it a lot; for working under the Jeep, not exercise"..LOL.. Somehow it was tossed so I starting using my old sleeping pad and it works much better. Not sure what to do about the heat, but there must be a shade tree somewhere in Texas.. Good luck.. Ron

Ok. After reading all the threads, sounds like it is a great idea to change out my rear diff fluid (20k miles).

Does the front need to be done as well? Anything else? I keep up with air, oil, filter, etc and have been using synth engine oil, changing every 7k.

How big of a pain is it to change the diff oil myself. The only reason I hesitate is I don't have a garage and laying on my gravel driveway in the Texas heat sounds really sucky. Might be a job for....Jiffy Lube!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Since you've read all the threads you know the rear diff is very easy to change out. The front just requires the 4 bolts on the skid to come out and you'll need a hexhead socket for the front plugs. A cheap quart bottle pump makes it a little easier to refill. Use 6 point sockets on a 1/2" ratchet and give the handle a good quick rap with your fist to break them loose. You'll need washers or you could try to reuse the originals. Always start the bolts back by hand so you don't cross thread anything. I suggest using a torque wrench.

If you have the 5AT, replacing the front fluid is not as time sensitive as the rear since it's not under load very often. If you have the 6MT, you should change both of them out at the same time.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I'd definitely do the front & rear at the same time initially. After that you probably can do the front every other time (unless you have an MT). I just put royal purple in my front, rear, TC, and MT - she's LOVIN it!

It's fairly easy, although I did it on a lift so I don't know about a gravel driveway....

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Pick up one of those "G.I. foam sleeping pads/mats". I had a foam "exercise mat" for years and used it a lot; for working under the Jeep, not exercise"..LOL.. Somehow it was tossed so I starting using my old sleeping pad and it works much better. Not sure what to do about the heat, but there must be a shade tree somewhere in Texas.. Good luck.. Ron
A big piece of cardboard works for me and it's good for sliding around underneath too. The best part is that it doesn't cost anything.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Come over to the house and I will show you how to do it, just takes a few minutes then we can drink beer and jump in the pool.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Take Gottagetone's offer. Yes I'd do both front and rear at the same time. For the love of God stay away from Jiffy Boob. Me hopes you were joking on that one. :lol:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The rear diff is the easiest to do. As others have stated, always take the fill plug off first. If it's stuck or buggered, you sure don't want to find out after all the gear oil has drained out

Every quart/litre bottle of gear oil I have seen has a teat or nipple on it. You cut the tip off, and then insert into the fill hole. Very easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts