Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an FJ about a month ago, and started reading this forum a couple weeks before that. I've seen mention of the first FJ's (available June or July '06 ??) and the one's that came out later. Any specific info on this? What differences/changes are there, and when did each of them become available? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't know about June or July, but the first run released in March/April of '06 didn't allow the ATRAC and Locker to work simultaneously - lot's of threads about it including one on how to hack it and make it work - aside from that - don't know of any significant differences other than the availability of more competitive pricing and upgraded models available straight from the dealerships - oh and the TRD SE had some different shocks, a short-throw shifter, black roof and nifty badges at a higher price. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If you kept the invoice sticker (the one pasted to the window when you purchase the vehicle), it shows the model number with an alpha designator after the model number. For instance, I have an automatic purchased in October 2006 and the VIN number is 43941. The model shown is "4704C", which "4704" as the actual model number and "C" as the alpha designator. I cannot not confirm, but I guessing the alpha designator changed to "D" on or about November 1 when Toyota changed production to allow ATRAC and rear locker to work together. Bostonian 1976 purchased his FJ in April 2006 (a manual tranny), but stated several months ago that his model is "4703A". There are production changes that result in changing the alpha designator during a model year. I wish there was a recap list that Toyota would publish stating what production changes resulted the alpha designator to sequence upwards. If I were to guess "A" changed to "B" when Toyota discovered improper tire mounting and the early VIN's had a recall to replace tires. Possibly "B" changed to "C" when Toyota changed suppliers of (or modified) the fuel sender unit. Some earler models falsely indicated more fuel was in the tank than physical and folks ran out of gas. There may have been other production modifications that occurred at the same time. Does anyone know what the latest alpha designator is?

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
If you kept the invoice sticker (the one pasted to the window when you purchase the vehicle), it shows the model number with an alpha designator after the model number. For instance, I have an automatic purchased in October 2006 and the VIN number is 43941. The model shown is "4704C", which "4704" as the actual model number and "C" as the alpha designator. I cannot not confirm, but I guessing the alpha designator changed to "D" on or about November 1 when Toyota changed production to allow ATRAC and rear locker to work together. Bostonian 1976 purchased his FJ in April 2006 (a manual tranny), but stated several months ago that his model is "4703A". There are production changes that result in changing the alpha designator during a model year. I wish there was a recap list that Toyota would publish stating what production changes resulted the alpha designator to sequence upwards. If I were to guess "A" changed to "B" when Toyota discovered improper tire mounting and the early VIN's had a recall to replace tires. Possibly "B" changed to "C" when Toyota changed suppliers of (or modified) the fuel sender unit. Some earler models falsely indicated more fuel was in the tank than physical and folks ran out of gas. There may have been other production modifications that occurred at the same time. Does anyone know what the latest alpha designator is?

sweet Lord!

honestly, please honestly: what did you get on your SATs?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yep, I've got a 4704E purchased the day it hit the dealer in Feburary. It has a 01/07 production date on it,

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
No it's not the last model. I got an "F". F for faster than yours. JK

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yep, I've got a 4704E purchased the day it hit the dealer in Feburary. It has a 01/07 production date on it,
How did you find your production date for your FJ? This would be good for me to know for future use...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thats the one I got , "E" The one with the bulletproof windshield and antichip paint.
I thought "E" included the ejection seat?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the salesjerks I spoke with told me that the mirrors had been changed from the earlier models to now, because of the blind spots. He said they put better, bigger mirrors, but I have yet to see an FJ with different mirrors than mine. He was quite the little fibber about plenty of other things, so he may have been blowing smoke up my skirt...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts