Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Searched and searched but coming up empty. Anyone know the main differences between the 07-09 TRD supercharger and any of the ones made for the 10-14 model years? Is it a physical bolt on difference or is it a difference in tuning?
Anyone ever retrofit an older one on a newer 1gr?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
It's a completely different supercharger. The older ones used a Eaton M90 and the newer gens use a TVS 1320. Supposedly new ones have more power potential and more efficient for more overall power even though both are rated for 6psi. The Fit kit will be different to accommodate the intended generation and the different superchargers. That said, you can make it fit if you're creative. There's no reason why you can't run an older style supercharger on a late body FJ. There may be interference of the belt routing. Tuning would most likely be close since they're both limited to their pulley size and you'd have to decide whether you want an aftermarket engine controller. Then more fun happens and you can open other potential power adders such as smaller pulley, larger injectors, etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's a completely different supercharger. The older ones used a Eaton M90 and the newer gens use a TVS 1320. Supposedly new ones have more power potential and more efficient for more overall power even though both are rated for 6psi. The Fit kit will be different to accommodate the intended generation and the different superchargers. That said, you can make it fit if you're creative. There's no reason why you can't run an older style supercharger on a late body FJ. There may be interference of the belt routing. Tuning would most likely be close since they're both limited to their pulley size and you'd have to decide whether you want an aftermarket engine controller. Then more fun happens and you can open other potential power adders such as smaller pulley, larger injectors, etc.
Interesting, I found an 07-09 style one for sale for pretty cheap but wanna make sure what I'm getting into before I decide to try and make it work, if at all possible. My Maine concern was whether it even bolted up or not.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Interesting, I found an 70-09 style one for sale for pretty cheap
Nevermind, I take back what I said, you may have to modify the intake runners for the supercharger fit. I forgot that I don't know what you the intake manifold looks like for the 2010+ but it's probably different enough. It would be pretty difficult for people like us. Not impossible, but finding one for your year would be easier.
Are you in CA? If not, there's a couple URD kits I've seen that will probably make more power and they were for the 2010+. Not sure if they're still for sale, but I'll check. The only reason I would consider swapping a different gen kit is if I was given it for free. Otherwise, it would be much easier to wait for a 2010+ kit.

Not sure if this one on the forums ever sold. Message him with an offer: For Sale New in Box Magnuson Supercharger for 2010-2014...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind, I take back what I said, you may have to modify the intake runners for the supercharger fit. I forgot that I don't know what you the intake manifold looks like for the 2010+ but it's probably different enough. It would be pretty difficult for people like us. Not impossible, but finding one for your year would be easier.
Are you in CA? If not, there's a couple URD kits I've seen that will probably make more power and they were for the 2010+. Not sure if they're still for sale, but I'll check. The only reason I would consider swapping a different gen kit is if I was given it for free. Otherwise, it would be much easier to wait for a 2010+ kit.

Not sure if this one on the forums ever sold. Message him with an offer: For Sale New in Box Magnuson Supercharger for 2010-2014...
So i did confirm that the 2010 fj has a larger intake ports which cause the runners to not line up with the older supercharger. I believe the projection of the pulley is different as well making the pulleys out of alignment. I found a company that actually produces an adapter kit but it looks like they went out of business some time ago.
A shame that nobody else has produced something. Almost makes me want to do it.
So its definitely possible just tons of work. Not sure if the CARB approval would transfer to that newer years either.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,870 Posts
There is just no reason to attempt it. They make a supercharger FOR the 10+ trucks. Bolt it on and go. No reason to reinvent the wheel. I am sure that adapter kit was way back when they had not yet come out with a 10+ version.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When someone is selling it for $1000 you will attempt anything. The company selling the adapters started making them in 2015. Not reinventing the wheel would seize **** as we know it and nothing new would ever be made.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Mike, I think iwashmycar's point was: since there is now a S/C kit for 10+ FJs, there is no market for an adaptor which would make it possible to jury rig an '07~'09 S/C onto a 10+ engine. If you want to do it yourself, go for it, but don't be surprised if it is more difficult than what the perceived savings would be from the used S/C you are hoping to use (also, there probably won't be any engine ECU program you will be able to use).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just gonna leave this link here, they told me they're planning on making a kit for the FJ too.. :censored:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,870 Posts
Yeah that was my point.

I missed the mention of actually finding one for sale cheap. If you have found an entire 'kit' for the 07-09 for a G, BUY IT NOW. If it was worth putting on your truck its worth reselling for 3...3500...more? Then go buy a brand spankin' new Magnuson for a few more and be in far far less than you would be with the initial idea.

I realize the initial question was simply what are the differences....well its Male and Female. They do the same things, but they're not so interchangeable unless you have a lot of cash ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts