Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at recovery gear and there are a bunch of different types. Recovery straps, tow straps, ropes, chains, strap with chain ends, ropes with hooks... the list goes on. The basic difference between towing and recovery straps (as far as I can tell) is that tow straps are static (non-stretch) and recovery straps are dynamic (stretchy). Am I right so far?

What I am looking for is a general idea of what to use where/when and why to use different things chain/straps/ropes for each situation.

Anybody up for the challenge? :bigthumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
So I've been looking at recovery gear and there are a bunch of different types. Recovery straps, tow straps, ropes, chains, strap with chain ends, ropes with hooks... the list goes on. The basic difference between towing and recovery straps (as far as I can tell) is that tow straps are static (non-stretch) and recovery straps are dynamic (stretchy). Am I right so far?

What I am looking for is a general idea of what to use where/when and why to use different things chain/straps/ropes for each situation.

Tow straps are for towing on-roads, where stretch is not a good idea.
Snatch straps are for pulling vehicles out of sand, or mud. (they stretch).
Tree straps are straps that go around trees to protect the tree when you winch on it to pull yourself out.

Comealongs / winches provide pulling force to pull you / someone else out of / over a stuck situation.

read:
safe-responsible-wheeling.html
and most anything posted by highbeams.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Static, not stretch, rope/chain is used when winching your vehicle, and you do not want anything to stre-e-e-tch, as you are pulling slowly. Any type of rope or strap that has built in stretch to it is used when yanking vehicle-to-vehicle, such as out of mud or sand. The stretch helps you to keep from yanking your bumper off when the "yank" happens.

·
Registered
102 Posts
worse case scenario, you can use the snatch (or recovery) strap for all 3 purposes...

granted i ruimed a good $50 strap, but i towed a dead explorer with one.

and i wrapped the strap around the tree a few times so i can hook up a winch hook to it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts