Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just migrated back East from my home in Boise to my home near Pittsburgh. It's about a 2300 trip so needless to say I have to stop quite a lot for a fuel. The issue in question occurred in Grand Island Nebraska.

I pulled in to a service station and set the pump to the last notch (for slowing pumping) and went inside to grab a drink. Brief aside, I've only ever experienced the common fueling issue the very first time I refueled. Since then she's had zero issues and has simply filled properly with no early shut-off problems. Anyway, I paid for my drink and exited the store. I immediately saw that a geyser of petrol was spurting from my truck. I sprinted across the parking lot. Released the handle catch and quickly used the windshield cleaner bucket to remove the fuel from the side of the truck. I've owned 7 vehicles in the past 12 years of my driving history and this has never happened to me before. I went back into the station to alert the clerk that there was spilled fuel everywhere and he seemed confused and seeing as he looked about 16, I wasn't all that surprised. I came back out and closed up the fuel door and was slightly concerned about over-fill, but I wasn't about to go in search of a siphon so off I drove. Incidentally, I hasn't happened since.

Since then I haven't left the pump during fueling and wonder if I ever will again. Has anyone experienced this issue? Is it likely an issue with the specific pump and not with my FJ?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I will give you the quick and easy.
Fuel pumps have a safety Mechinism that, Both Causes the normal issue with FJs and many other vehicles, And caused the one this time you experienced.
Normally (most occuring) the slightest back pressure triggers the pump and it shuts off instantly. The FJ has this issue because the Design of the fillier tube to the tank has a less flow rate than the pumps if set on FULL flow, back pressure is sensed and it shuts off,,, Over and over.... :flame:
This "safety" appears to have completely Failed all together and just kept right on pumping...The chances of it happening again... Slim... Can it... yes. Thats why alot of stations have removed the notches, so you have to stand there and you stop it if it fails.
EPA actually does soil test around stations, so they HATE it when you spill Fuel! It can cost them Millions in clean up:lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
It was the pump, besides you probably couldn't see the large "Do Not Leave Pump Unattended" sign with all mountains around you. I used to drive a transport tanker for Exxon-Mobil and always took advantage of an invitation by someone who would "click" and then go inside. Most of the time they would come out, wonder why their pump was off and the handle hung up. Also their curiosity of "where oh where has my gas cap gone" starts to echo in their head. If they only looked up on top of the roof or canopy of the station they would find it.

By now you know it was a dumb move. Luckily you had someone less educated than you running the place. You could of been held there and been responsible for many dollars of clean-up. Environmental clean-up. I've been to station where people have jammed their gas cap in the handle, ( I know most of if not all stations in Massachusetts and surrounding areas don't even equip the handles with the "lock lever") They go inside for a coffee and Twinkies, lotto or cigs and gas is flowing like a river and they have no idea. They blame it on the pump handle. It's costly. I've been involved where someone did what you did and it was close enough to the ocean , in miles, not feet ( south of Boston ) that the Coast Guard was called in as incident command.

Knock it off, stop being lazy or multi-tasking and stay with the handle. Just leaving it, getting back in the vehicle and then dragging your ass back out across the seat fabric is enough to light up the whole place.

Ok, that's over with, thankfully no one or nothing suffered.

It was just the pump.

(edited out)... uses the squeegee to clean up your "mess" and everyone else behind you now has a nice greasy smear thinking they are getting their windshields clean but little do they know, you used the WINDSHIELD CLEANING bucket for a car wash. Nice!!!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
It was the pump, besides you probably couldn't see the large "Do Not Leave Pump Unattended" sign with all mountains around you. I used to drive a transport tanker for Exxon-Mobil and always took advantage of an invitation by someone who would "click" and then go inside. Most of the time they would come out, wonder why their pump was off and the handle hung up. Also their curiosity of "where oh where has my gas cap gone" starts to echo in their head. If they only looked up on top of the roof or canopy of the station they would find it.

By now you know it was a dumb move. Luckily you had someone less educated than you running the place. You could of been held there and been responsible for many dollars of clean-up. Environmental clean-up. I've been to station where people have jammed their gas cap in the handle, ( I know most of if not all stations in Massachusetts and surrounding areas don't even equip the handles with the "lock lever") They go inside for a coffee and Twinkies, lotto or cigs and gas is flowing like a river and they have no idea. They blame it on the pump handle. It's costly. I've been involved where someone did what you did and it was close enough to the ocean , in miles, not feet ( south of Boston ) that the Coast Guard was called in as incident command.

Knock it off, stop being lazy or multi-tasking and stay with the handle. Just leaving it, getting back in the vehicle and then dragging your ass back out across the seat fabric is enough to light up the whole place.

Ok, that's over with, thankfully no one or nothing suffered.

It was just the pump.

(edited out) ... uses the squeegee to clean up your "mess" and everyone else behind you now has a nice greasy smear thinking they are getting their windshields clean but little do they know, you used the WINDSHIELD CLEANING bucket for a car wash. Nice!!!
:rofl::rofl:
SO how do really feel? I sense a tiny bit of hostility...:simmadown:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
:rofl::rofl:
SO how do really feel? I sense a tiny bit of hostility...:simmadown:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Too funny ROTFLMAO. If you owned a jeep you have to listen for the fuel going up the tube because it never stops until its all over the side of the jeep. I look at the mileage before filling uP and guestimate (Yes that is a word) how much to put in so I don't have to use the washer fluid:):cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I can only Imagine what he thinks when Guys like me roll in to a station and leave PILES OF MUD!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wait till he finds out he steals all the soap out of the restroom too :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
shhhhh dont tell him im a guy that stuffs the gas cap in the handle when they remove the catch......:lol: I think he has issues with that...:rofl:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mud is fine, You did off-road in your FJ right? Soap from the men's room? Well it is at your eye level when you are on your knees I suppose.

No hostility, just joining in with my thoughts. Won't be the first forum I got tossed from.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Nobody is tossing you anywhere your a keeper in this crowd. Dude your blunt honesty was awesome we just laughed with you not at you. Welcome that was a CLASSIC POST!!!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
JackRabbitSlim, it probably happened because you were in lo-lock. :lol:

FJandFU, I agree but that's just me. I personally won't go more that a few feet from the pump when its pumping. I might do a quick walk around the truck to check tire and hub temps but that's all. I don't want the risk of spilling fuel on my paint. I don't want the risk of wasting $$ worth of fuel. I don't want to risk dumping fuel into the environment. And I have seen dumb a$$es smoking at the next pump over. Lit cigarettes and a couple of gallons of gas spilled all over is not a good mix.

And you're right, it is against the law and you can be held for thousands of dollars in fines and expenses if you cause a spill.

Just kidding Slim, it was just the pump. You get one like that every now and then.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Jack, i have seen that happen a couple of times to people. I think it is just related to a faulty pump handle shutoff or something.

I will never leave the vehicle while it is pumping gas ever again. I usually take that time to check the engine oil, transmission oil, clean windshield, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts