Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big thanks to DOfj for helping my chop my body mounts, the idea he came up with for the body mount chop is unique and gives the most clearance. I don't think I've seen anyone chop a body mount like this. He cut right around the body mount and then bent a piece of metal around the body mount and re welded it to reinforce the cut part, and the end result is a clean and oem looking high clearance body mount chop. No more rubbing!

all done!:rocker::cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
That's a hack job... Why would that idiot do all that extra work....:rofl: Waste of time, to much $$.

I bet if you painted it with plasti-dip it would look so much better.....
I agree. The fabricator did a crap job, and I hope the OP didn't pay for it.

Can't believe some of the shoddy work I see here.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
^^. Joking, of course. ^^

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
lookin good! how close is the bent metal to the bushing? hard to tell from the pic. mine sits about 1/4 inch from the mount bushing on the inside of the BMC and 315/75 still rub a tiny bit at full lock in reverse and when compressed while turning.

edit since it's already welded/painted if you do run into rubbing issues you could trim the bent strap so that it is no tall. i've been thinking about trimming mine down to 1" at the bend, this will expose more or the bushing though.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
^^. Joking, of course. ^^
Lol. It was volunteer work so the op got what he paid for!

This bmc won't rube with 33-35" tire. I've done similar chops and they have rubbed with 35's but on this one I cut it back a little further where they tend to rub.

Get your caster to +4 and the rub will go away

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lol. It was volunteer work so the op got what he paid for!

This bmc won't rube with 33-35" tire. I've done similar chops and they have rubbed with 35's but on this one I cut it back a little further where they tend to rub.

Get your caster to +4 and the rub will go away
Mine is just like this. Running 35"s on Spidertrax with no rub.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup no rub in reverse full lock, running 285/75/16s

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How big of a tire will fit with stock 17" and no lift?
there are literally hundreds of threads on this..a 285 tire will fit as long as the tread is not overly aggressive

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Sweet lookin chop... I'm going on 3yrs without chop with 285s and 4+ caster. 35s come this spring though. I need to get on this. But, I can't weld. :( I think my fear of electricity keeps holding me back. LOL

Seriously though... i'm taking this pic and modeling mine after it. Looks good!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
First BMC I did was surgically removing (cutting with a box knife in parking lot because I was frustrated) the rubber BMC cover, and it eliminated 98% of the rub with 285s. Just now cutting mine after 8-9 months, without serious rubs in said duration.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
this is the clean way to do it instead of leaving it 'open'....not the first
We know it's not the first. I did mine about 2 years ago and about 4-5 others just like this. (I also did fjamming bmc)

IMO it's just a cleaner more factory look. Most aren't blended in and flush. If it was painted with flat black instead of gloss you wouldn't see all the sanding marks.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
First BMC I did was surgically removing (cutting with a box knife in parking lot because I was frustrated) the rubber BMC cover, and it eliminated 98% of the rub with 285s. Just now cutting mine after 8-9 months, without serious rubs in said duration.
With 285's just go +4 on caster. Once you add spacers or aftermarket wheels with more offset then they will rub a little.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts