Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2012 FJ and wondering if there is any advantage or any differences in using differential and transfer case oil from brands other than Toyota. I am assuming if specifications/weight are the same, should be ok. But I am new and looking to hear about your experiences with specific brands. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Here come the Amsoil zombies! :lol:

I just use Mobil 1! :worried: :lookaround:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Amsoil sever gear has done very well for me including towing.

Not sure how much better any brand is but I like to run quality diff fluid as I tow.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Transfer I'm using OEM because I haven't gotten to a service interval for it yet

Diffs I'm using non-synthetic Lucas 85W140 because it's what ECGS recommends and they have a 5 year warranty with their built gear assemblies. It's also super cheap so that's nice.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'm running Redline synthetic, but will likely go with Amsoil, next change, which is coming up ...
:thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Redline, Mobile, Amsoil. use the recommended weight you should be good.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Here come the Amsoil zombies! :lol:

I just use Mobil 1! :worried: :lookaround:
man you just can`t admit that Amsoil is the better oil... I know I know your lazy and take what`s avail... so sad...:rofl:

I told you a thousand times... M1 and others are not the same oil it was 20+ years ago... thank the guberment for that...

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
I agree on the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75/90. I run it, have sold a ton of it and have pretty good oil analysis to back it up. (and that doesn't mean that I am knocking M1 or others) That is unless, Smalldog prefers it, that doesn't mean sh!$!
YO Nick!:wave::rocker:

hahahaha yeah the M1 koolaid is strong within the smalldog force!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
man you just can`t admit that Amsoil is the better oil... I know I know your lazy and take what`s avail... so sad...:rofl:

I told you a thousand times... M1 and others are not the same oil it was 20+ years ago... thank the guberment for that...

Trump You're Fired - YouTube
LOL and Amway and Mary Kay are better at everything they sell too right?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it is ok to use 75W-90 even though my manual says to use 75W-85? I am not sure what the difference means.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is enough independent testing out there to show the quality of Amsoil and Redline

But, any good quality synthetic will work. I've had lots of success in high performance applications with Redline but, Motul, Amsoil (what I currently use in my diff's....110k on an 07 and going strong), Mobil 1 are all very good....I don't think there is really a bad synthetic out there these days. The stock Toyota stuff is probably the cheapest they can source within spec, but that spec is pretty low.

Actually, after reading Amsoil's and other independent oil analysis I started using Valvoline Synpower in my engine...in a street and off-roaded rig, the difference between it and the really expensive oils is negligible....regular oil changes are the most important aspect of maintenance.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
LOL and Amway and Mary Kay are better at everything they sell too right?
hahahaha, don`t really give a crap how they meet their market, I`ve been a customer for years and at a good price... no complaints...
I go thru 2 stroke oil like it`s water... the more you buy the more you save in many ways...:wink:wink:cheers:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Amsoil is just supporting the old Pyramid Selling Scheme. They prey on the weak minded ,follow the crowd type. Its good oil purchased from someone else ( Mobil),re-bottled and marketed. Look at what gear lube Heavy Industry uses, Mobil Delvac. This day and age all the gear lubes will work and last for the life of a vehicle.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Amsoil is just supporting the old Pyramid Selling Scheme. They prey on the weak minded ,follow the crowd type. Its good oil purchased from someone else ( Mobil),re-bottled and marketed. Look at what gear lube Heavy Industry uses, Mobil Delvac. This day and age all the gear lubes will work and last for the life of a vehicle.
if you say so POP`s:rofl:

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
^^^
There's always one in every oil thread!
hahah yeah, this day and age you`d think people would be smarter with all the info handed to them off the net, if they would just look for it or call the tech department...
I`m now questioning the validity of the companies and Universities I know of that use Amsoil products, maybe they are just plain wrong all these years... NOT!:jester:

bottom line is you can not control the end user, you have no idea if they are even qualified to open the hood on their lawn tractor let alone choose a suitable oil for their vehicle... that`s half the battle right there.

OMG I don`t even know how I`m speaking intelligently about this, I must have stay at Holiday Inn Express!!!:lol:

but it`s a losing battle bc YOUTUBE is always right, RIGHT???

hahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahaa and
hahahahahahahah\\Paleese...Good grief already...

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
You Amsoil guys got it all wrong......Whale Oil laced with Unicorn tears is where its at.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts