Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Thanks. Ok, I noticed he has a 2008 and I have a 2007. Page numbers are probably different anyway

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I just changed the TC and the diffs yesterday. I have 30k on the FJ. The rear diff as others have stated is the worst as it is under constant load for the most part. It had some water in the oil but very little. The TC looked like new and the front diff had darkness in color but very little sludge. From this point forward I am going to change mine by usuage not to exceed 15 k on the rear. I also did the scuba mod on the rear elocker and the rear diff. The breathers on the TC and the front diff or on the drivers side in the engine bay only about 8 inches below where my new breather is located. I don't think I'll be getting in water that deep -- hopefully. Oh---I used Royal Purple. I was leaning toward the Amsoil but it seemed to be kinda hard to get where I live --so I just went w/ the RP.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I just changed the TC and the diffs yesterday. I have 30k on the FJ. The rear diff as others have stated is the worst as it is under constant load for the most part. It had some water in the oil but very little. The TC looked like new and the front diff had darkness in color but very little sludge. From this point forward I am going to change mine by usuage not to exceed 15 k on the rear. I also did the scuba mod on the rear elocker and the rear diff. The breathers on the TC and the front diff or on the drivers side in the engine bay only about 8 inches below where my new breather is located. I don't think I'll be getting in water that deep -- hopefully. Oh---I used Royal Purple. I was leaning toward the Amsoil but it seemed to be kinda hard to get where I live --so I just went w/ the RP.

Nope, sorry. The transfer case breather is clipped to the back of the bell housing almost dead center. The two breathers you see up front are the front diff and the front diff actuator. You should still extend both the transmission and TC if you are doing much water driving, especially if where you are going has the potential of you being stuck in the water. I would assume from the statement that there was water in your oil that deeper water is what you see, and it's really a case of better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Nope, sorry. The transfer case breather is clipped to the back of the bell housing almost dead center. The two breathers you see up front are the front diff and the front diff actuator. You should still extend both the transmission and TC if you are doing much water driving, especially if where you are going has the potential of you being stuck in the water. I would assume from the statement that there was water in your oil that deeper water is what you see, and it's really a case of better safe than sorry.
Thanks for your help! I could not find the breather on the TC. Is it a small hose that exits like the front diff & actuator OR is it like the rear diff. I didn't even look on the transmission as I was told it was a closed system---I guess this was false information?
We don't see alot of deep water but only one time could be potentially dangerous to gears.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
I didn't even look on the transmission as I was told it was a closed system---I guess this was false information?

Compared to the automatic transmissions from about 1992 and before, the newer automatics seem to be 'closed', but they really aren't. Many automatics haven't had dipsticks for the last 16 or so years. Especially the Aisen-Warner's. Some (like our 5AT's) have a slightly more complicated drain/refill process then just dropping the pan or pulling the plug and refilling but it can still be done at home by most anyone if you follow the instructions to a "T". They still have a vent, and a drain plug. What's different is the fill port and the temp at which the fluid should be measured (and the requirement for synthetic ATF.)

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Thanks for your help! I could not find the breather on the TC. Is it a small hose that exits like the front diff & actuator OR is it like the rear diff? I didn't even look on the transmission as I was told it was a closed system---I guess this was false information?
We don't see alot of deep water but only one time could be potentially dangerous to gears.

Anybody? Thanks:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Terry,

The T-case breather is a nipple on the passenger side base of the shifter ball-joint, on the very top of the case. It would be difficult to reach from under the truck, but easy if you take off the center console in the cab and the shifter boot/plate under that. Here is a picture of the T-case (removed from the truck), you can see the nipple in the center right of the picture:

The TC vent line only goes a short way to a "T" fitting that hooks into the auto tranny vent from the tail housing cavity.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Terry,

The T-case breather is a nipple on the passenger side base of the shifter ball-joint, on the very top of the case. It would be difficult to reach from under the truck, but easy if you take of the center console in the cab and the shifter boot/plate under that. Here is a picture of the T-case (removed from the truck), you can see the nipple in the center right of the picture:

The TC vent line only goes a short way to a "T" fitting that hooks into the auto tranny vent from the tail housing cavity.
Thanks Lee!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I changed mine at 30k wish I would have changed rear at 15k. Rear looked like crap, TC and front diff looked brand new still.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just changed my rear diff today with 12k miles on it and like others have all said, it was nasty. Some metal on the plug but to be expected. I would have changed it sooner had I read this forum earlier, maybe around 6k miles. Just my opinion, don't wait to 15k, change it by 10k to get the gunk out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
can i take it to a shop or something for someone else to do it? im not sure if i want to mess with my baby lol
These are easy. The TC and rear can be done without much hassle. I did my rear diff today in about 20 minutes. If you can change your engine oil you can do the diffs. My only suggestion is to use a fluid hand pump or a small piece of hose to get the oil into the gear box. Just trying to shoot it into the hole with the nozzle on the bottle can be messy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just my .016 cents ... Dang I followed the owners manuel and recomended change of diff lube well untill I read this thread, I was at 37000 miles ... black tar and small filings, im a dummy on my Land Crusher I did this way more frequently and after 22 years no Diff issues.

Just shows to go you .. have to lube things up before you go in to the bush ... mybad ?

cheers

21 - 37 of 37 Posts